Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,136 times

Advertisements

During the height of the Rush Limbaugh/Sandra Fluke controversy in March, software company Carbonite announced it would no longer sponsor the conservative radio host. As CEO David Friend said at the time:

Quote:
No one with daughters the age of Sandra Fluke, and I have two, could possibly abide the insult and abuse heaped upon this courageous and well-intentioned young lady. Mr. Limbaugh, with his highly personal attacks on Miss Fluke, overstepped any reasonable bounds of decency. Even though Mr. Limbaugh has now issued an apology, we have nonetheless decided to withdraw our advertising from his show. We hope that our action, along with the other advertisers who have already withdrawn their ads, will ultimately contribute to a more civilized public discourse.
Yeah .. slutty Fluke was s-o-o courageous and Really, Really upstanding.

That politically-motivated tool (of the Lefties) was anything but “well-intentioned”
She was nothing more than a Useful Idiot, and an embarrassment to herself and family.

Quote:
Liberals touted the action as proof that Limbaugh was becoming toxic and his show was in danger.
So how has dumping Limbaugh worked out for Carbonite?
Not so well.
Turns out alienating Rush’s fans may have been more damaging than alienating his critics. As the blog Legal Insurrection noted today:

On August 1 Carbonite released its 2d Quarter 2012 results, the first full quarter after dropping Limbaugh in March. The results shocked Wall Street, as Carbonite did not meet its growth targets, causing multiple analysts to drop the target price. The stock dropped 15% in a day.

What’s more, in a conference call, Friend linked the decline to the Limbaugh action:

Yeah, I’d say it turned out to be a bigger issue than we had anticipated.

... there was so much noise around the website that we had no idea what the ultimate impact was going to be. It turned out to be a bigger hole in our revenue than we had thought when we initially did this.
Quote:
Friend added that he was “not regretful of the decision. I think things would have been worse had we not done that.”
The logic of this guy astounds me.

2% of the public and their friends, (lefties, liberals, communists, et al) would cause more of a negative impact than nearly 98% of the public.

Double down then @ $ $hole, donate $2 million dollars to the same-sex marriage campaign and lets see what miracles that sparks.

While you’re at it, issue a public statement against Chick-Fil-A.
I mean if you actually believe what your drooling out on the press room floor, do these things. They would make perfect sense to you.

liar.

Quote:
Legal Insurrection’s William Jacobson calls it all “laughable” adding: “It’s too convenient now to say things would have been worse, when Friend completely misjudged the impact of dropping Limbaugh.”

Ex-Limbaugh sponsor says dropping show during Fluke controversy hurt company | WashingtonExaminer.com

BTW: How'd that kiss-in thing go today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Oh well.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
.. things would have been worse.
Where have I heard that before?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Friend added that he was “not regretful of the decision. I think things would have been worse had we not done that.”

I dropped Carbonite.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

I dropped Carbonite.
Picked up MOZY myself!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
speaking of which - didn't the loopy liberals say that limbaugh would be gone by now ?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,653 times
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Seems the Liberals don't step up to the plate and support their "own people" Where Conservatives get out and let "their people" know they got their backs.

One can only read about Cindy Sheehan to see no support from those that used her..........seems the left is a use and dispose kind of crowd.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I think what Limbaugh said was blown way out of proportion. Certainly it was less hateful than Spike Lee saying he 'looks daggers' at inter-racial couples, or trying to gin up mob violence against George Zimmerman (albeit the wrong address). Or what Letterman said about Sarah Palin's young daughter.

If a 30 year old woman demands that others pay for her birth control, is it really that over the top to ridicule her as being possibly a 's**t?' I'm still waiting for the marches and protests from the left against Spike Lee, Bill Maher, and David Letterman, not to mention the personal phone call from the President..

Basically the people who went berzerko over Limbaugh's remark were people like Mr. Free Water at the Chick FiL A. It's never going to be good business strategy to align yourself with people like that.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Liberals are perennially enraged that Republicans are allowed to talk back.

For years, this wasn’t a problem, because, in Lenin’s immortal words, they had seized the telegraph office.

There were only three TV stations, three major newspapers, and a handful of national magazines, all run by liberals.

But since Rush Limbaugh got a microphone, liberals haven’t been able to make arguments in a vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies