Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:44 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Man has had some sort of desire to reach a euphoric state for thousands if not millions of years......big deal. I guess booze is the acceptable way to achieve this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 12:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Imagine what he could have done if he didn't smoke anything.
He is the most accomplished, which means he is number 1 in that category. You can't go higher than that. Sorry, you are wrong. There is no number 0 or 0.5

Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The idea of the dope smoker/slacker/criminal was brought to you by the same folks who said we were attacked in the Tonkin Gulf 48 years ago today. They also told you that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. And don't forget they push overpriced and addictive pharmaceuticals, to say nothing of their friends in the alcohol industry.

And the sheep fall for it every time.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:01 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
He is the most accomplished, which means he is number 1 in that category. You can't go higher than that. Sorry, you are wrong. There is no number 0 or 0.5
Actually, he could have gone higher. Had he not smoked anything and fully applied himself to training for this year's Olympics he could have won more gold medals and more medals overall this year than he actually won. I dot agree with him being the most accomplished athlete. He's the most accomplished swimmer. Compared to other summer Olympic events like gymnastics, track and field, etc, swimming has a low level of stress on the body which is why they can compete three or more Olympics and compete in many medal competitions which all amount to who swims the fastest. There are many great Olympic athletes who endured much to reach the top. My personal favorite was Jim Thorpe. In his day, he was the best all around athlete.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Actually, he could have gone higher. Had he not smoked anything and fully applied himself to training for this year's Olympics he could have won more gold medals and more medals overall this year than he actually won. I dot agree with him being the most accomplished athlete. He's the most accomplished swimmer. Compared to other summer Olympic events like gymnastics, track and field, etc, swimming has a low level of stress on the body which is why they can compete three or more Olympics and compete in many medal competitions which all amount to who swims the fastest. There are many great Olympic athletes who endured much to reach the top. My personal favorite was Jim Thorpe. In his day, he was the best all around athlete.
He may have crashed and burned due to stress long ago too. He is acomplished so it's a little silly to be fantasizing on being even MORE acomplished if only he didn't do something you don't approve of.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He may have crashed and burned due to stress long ago too. He is acomplished so it's a little silly to be fantasizing on being even MORE acomplished if only he didn't do something you don't approve of.
True, but the OP made it seem like because he's a successful athlete who smokes weed then smoking weed won't effect people in negative ways which isn't true for everyone. There are some very successful athletes who smoke cigarettes and cigars. So does that mean smoking is healthy? No it doesn't.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
I think that the swimmers shouldn't shave all their hair off - that just looks...wrong.

If the swimmers want to smoke marijuana before they hit the pool - i have no problem.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I think that the swimmers shouldn't shave all their hair off - that just looks...wrong.

If the swimmers want to smoke marijuana before they hit the pool - i have no problem.
Olympic swimmers of the past did not shave their body nor wear swimsuits developed in a scientific laboratory for maximum flow through water.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
True, but the OP made it seem like because he's a successful athlete who smokes weed then smoking weed won't effect people in negative ways which isn't true for everyone. There are some very successful athletes who smoke cigarettes and cigars. So does that mean smoking is healthy? No it doesn't.
Actually, I think smoking cigarettes is worse than smoking weed, and I'm fairly certain medical professionals would agree with me. My personal doctor rode my ass to quit smoking cigs, and was quite happy when I did, but doesn't say a word about MJ.

My point is this.

There are many posters on this forum who denigrate MJ users and imply, or in some cases flat out state, that anyone, everyone who uses it is a loser who has no job, no life, no productivity, no added value to society. Phelps is a sterling example proving that assertion to be simply false.

I wish when he got caught, instead of apologizing, he had owned it. "Yeah, I got high, and I'm still the best swimmer the world has ever seen. So what?"

Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Actually, I think smoking cigarettes is worse than smoking weed, and I'm fairly certain medical professionals would agree with me. My personal doctor rode my ass to quit smoking cigs, and was quite happy when I did, but doesn't say a word about MJ.

My point is this.

There are many posters on this forum who denigrate MJ users and imply, or in some cases flat out state, that anyone, everyone who uses it is a loser who has no job, no life, no productivity, no added value to society. Phelps is a sterling example proving that assertion to be simply false.

I wish when he got caught, instead of apologizing, he had owned it. "Yeah, I got high, and I'm still the best swimmer the world has ever seen. So what?"
He didn't mention it because he probably didn't know you smoked weed. Unlike weed, cigarettes are legal and far too many people smoke them and or cigars. If people smoked weed as often as they smoke cigarettes then they'd lungs would be seriously effected. Putting any kind of smoke in your lungs is bad for you. Perhaps I should make a post like "Michael Jordan won many NBA championships and MVP awards and he smokes cigars". If smoking is so unhealthy then how could he have won so many championships and MVPs? Like smoking tobacco, it's not the rare occasional use that'll get you, it's the cumulative effects over time depending on genetics and frequency of use. I hate this topic because it's an excuse for smoking weed. "hey, Phelps smokes pot and he won many medals in the Olympics!". He won those medals because of his personal drive and his genetic abnormality. He was stupid to risk his chance at these Olympics by using an illegal substance. When he decides to retire from competitive swimming and makes enough money to be financially secure then he can smoke all the lot he wants. But for right now it is illegal and he doesn't have a medical need for pot. Do you think he should jump right back to the bong and risk loosing paint endorsements, paid speaking engagements, paid personal appearances, and any other potential money opportunity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies