Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Another thread by Steve McGarret with a title that is a lie.

While Root (a long debunked buffoon) suggests in a classic act of wild Birther speculation that Obama might have been a foreign exchange student, he does so from what he admits is a position of complete and unrefined personal ignorance. He does not say that "Obama went to college as a Foreign citizen" because he admits that he doesn't know one way or the other.

Remember, this guy has been saying for more than four years that nobody at Columbia knew Obama. And that was a lie before it ever first left his lips.
Is Steve Birther McGarret still around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This is not about where he was born, Obama was born in Hawaii. This claim is that he used his foreign born fathers to convince schools that he was foreign born to get special considerations; which would make him a liar and a fraud.
Honestly, we don't need college transcripts to prove that.

Is it November yet?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow. No.

Just one example...How To Apply To MIT | MIT Admissions
Your "example" is actually an example of the logical fallacy called denying the antecedent.

What MIT automatically does on one case tells us nothing about whether or not other cases could get the same label.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Ah... you leap right to the logical fallacy of tu quoque. As we used to say in Ranger School, "Nice attack. Wrong hill."

I am not and never have been a Democrat. So I really do not give a crap about Harry Reid.

Absolutely.

Obama has already proved he is a natural born US citizen.

Mitt's turn.
But he hasn't proven that he didn't get into college as a foreign-born student.

OK, Obama's turn.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
With all due respect, mb, you're first and foremost generalizing your personal experience with all experiences of foreigners attending school in the US. The fact is that not all experiences are the same. It is not even clear to me if you were an American student studying overseas, or a foreign student studying here.

Secondly, you are confusing your different argument against the same Birther claim as an argument against what I'm saying. We are not in actual disagreement here. You are arguing that it is impossible. I am arguing that even were it true, it would be neither illegal nor commission of a fraud. These are not arguments in opposition with each other.

The Birther claim is the amorphous and largely pointless assertion that he registered at Occidental and Columbia as a "foreign student." It is a piece of wild and unsupported speculation and any further speculation regarding what preference program might be a motive for doing so is merely layering new wild speculation on top of old wild speculation.
I was an American studying abroad. My point is that you're confusing the issue by going off on a tangent about whether it was legal or not. It doesn't matter--it couldn't happen. In order to get some kind of special preference for admission as a foreign student, he would have to be enrolled in some type of special foreign student program. He couldn't have possibly provided the information or documentation to be accepted there. As an aside--every program I've ever seen like that is short term--a semester or a year. You don't get a degree from the school where you study abroad. Your degree comes from your home school. If he applied as a foreign student without being in a program--just as a regular student who happened to be international, and who planned on graduating from the American school he was attending--he would have been held to the same standards for admission as every other student.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Obama claimed he was foreign-born from 1991 to 2007, when he realized that would make him ineligible for POTUS.
No he didn't.

In every interview he gave starting at least in 1990, as well as his actual book which came out in 1995 he said he was born in Hawaii.

There does not exist anywhere as single example of Obama claiming birth anyplace other than Hawaii... except when making fun of Birthers by mocking them.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How is Historian Dude wrong? He simply stated that even if Obama did pull one over on Occidental and Columbia and tricked them into believing he was a foreign student (which H.D. clearly stated he does not believe happened), he would not have been violating the law.

It's pretty simple. If you (and by "you" I mean anyone) believe it would be an illegal act, then simply quote the law such an act violates. And I'm not saying I agree with H.D., but up to now nobody has offered any evidence to refute what he claimed.
Wow, liberals are kind of dense aren't they.

So, Romney didn't do anything illegal with regards to taxes, and there is no evidence to prove it's correct. But libs are convinced he's a criminal.

Come on now, they're both the same issue. Admit it. I know ya can.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You're missing the point.
Right back at ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547
I did a year overseas in high school, and a semester abroad in college, and both were considered foreign exchange programs, and I was called an exchange student.
Did I not already and without prompting cite both those examples as being irrelevant to the scenario posed by the Birthers here?

As I said, you are making a different argument, not an oppositional one.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
No, I didn't. You need to turn in your mind reading certificate.
Quote:
How sad hat even the most credible information from the most credible source loses all credibility the second it has been touched by Donald Trump.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Is Steve Birther McGarret still around?
Yep. JCS is Steve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies