Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times

Advertisements

On Sunday,a courageous police officer in Oak Creek,WI took down the Sikh Temple shooter. He himself was shot numerous times and is still in very critical condition. The officer refused help after being shot and also got others out of the line of fire. Why no mention of the police haters of this man? Because it doesn't fit your narrative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Anyone who posts against public employees regarding pay, benefits, or the like are, in effect, anti-police.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
On Sunday,a courageous police officer in Oak Creek,WI took down the Sikh Temple shooter. He himself was shot numerous times and is still in very critical condition. The officer refused help after being shot and also got others out of the line of fire. Why no mention of the police haters of this man? Because it doesn't fit your narrative?
I agree. Police brutality is terrible because it sullies the name and image of law enforcement for every good cop. It needs to be dealt with. But some people are vehemently anti-LEO. Interestingly, most of them have a history of run-ins with the cops... they somehow keep doing **** that grabs the police's attention. Hey, if you were a habitual criminal you'd probably dislike the police as well :P

Most cops I've interacted with are good folks. Shoot, even the two times I've gotten a citation (once for speeding, once for using a fake ID to try to get in to a bar) the cops were pleasant. With that second citation, the officer told me it's also an arrest-worthy offense in Maryland but he decided to give me a citation instead because I had no prior record and was cooperating and being nice.

The bad cops shouldn't have the badge. The good cops deserve a lot of props, because they usually don't get much credit for what they do.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:19 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Anyone who posts against public employees regarding pay, benefits, or the like are, in effect, anti-police.

While I agree that the anti-cop threads are annoying and only show a miniscule amount of possible wrong doing by a small number of cops, saying every post that exposes something like teacher's unions equates to being anti-police is just plain dumb.

I admire and thank the police and firemen for their courage.

I don't admire teachers who submit fake doctor's excuses so they can go picket in favor of robbing the taxpayers.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I'm glad he took down the shooter.

Nobody has a problem with the good cops. It's the thugs with a badge who people have a problem with. Those who have contempt for the people who they serve, and prey upon the communities they serve. Those departments whose cultures are dysfunctional and who encourage their officers to act with impunity - often those officers will be no different than the criminals they're supposed to control. Those departments with no ties to their communities.

Last edited by majoun; 08-07-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM

629 posts, read 771,941 times
My problem with public sector benefits is they write their own contracts. I would like to show them how much we appreciate their sacrifice and commitment by paying them what we think they should be paid, not what they think they should be paid

Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Electric Blue, just because there's probably 20 good cops for every bad one, doesn't excuse the behavior of the one bad cop. This is a person who wields an extraordinary amount of power that not everyone should be responsible for. Just because one cop did a heroic deed at the Sikh temple does not excuse what bad cops do to innocent people. And, as such, cops need to be held to a very high standard. If they are not responsible enough with the power of the state that badge gives them, then they shouldn't be a cop. Simple as that. Stop equating bashing bad cops with hating the entire LE community. Ok? No one on this board is anti-police. Holding cops responsible for violating the civil rights of others is not a crime nor is it bashing. Stop with the non sequitur arguments

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
While I agree that the anti-cop threads are annoying and only show a miniscule amount of possible wrong doing by a small number of cops, saying every post that exposes something like teacher's unions equates to being anti-police is just plain dumb.

I admire and thank the police and firemen for their courage.

I don't admire teachers who submit fake doctor's excuses so they can go picket in favor of robbing the taxpayers.
Police are public sector employees. There is a movement by the right to cut public sector jobs, pay, and benefits. Way to show gratitude!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I agree. Police brutality is terrible because it sullies the name and image of law enforcement for every good cop. It needs to be dealt with. But some people are vehemently anti-LEO. Interestingly, most of them have a history of run-ins with the cops... they somehow keep doing **** that grabs the police's attention. Hey, if you were a habitual criminal you'd probably dislike the police as well
A habitual criminal would probably dislike the police, and a person who's really been victimized or taken advantage of, or even just heavily inconvenienced by police would also probably dislike the police. Those two possibilities cancel one another out and there is no a priori reason to suppose one is a more likely explanation than the other.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
My problem with public sector benefits is they write their own contracts. I would like to show them how much we appreciate their sacrifice and commitment by paying them what we think they should be paid, not what they think they should be paid
For most on the right, that would be much less than they are pain now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies