Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you tired and annoyed by all the political correctness?
Yes 95 82.61%
No 20 17.39%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 PM

563 posts, read 807,539 times

Advertisements

I am tired of hearing or reading the words "political correctness". It has become one of the most overused, unjustified arguments in American politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes they are. The press has forced PC into our society.
It's peer pressure and you can't change it. There is no "pure" state of being human.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Im just sick of everything in life being involved with politics.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
In a modern society where normal people can't express their views or opinions in which most would perceive as negative. Otherwise, the political correct will call those out and label them as racist, sexist, or homophobic.

Or a businessperson openly disagrees with something or expresses disgust on some things, he'll run the risk of being sued or boycotted and then it'll turn into a political debate and attract media attention.

Anybody else tired and annoyed by all this political correctness? I guess what I said above is my view on what I think political correctness is.
Political correctness is a meaningless term.

In this nation, a certain group of people historically were the only ones allowed to speak and this privileged group would putdown other groups of people with impunity and face no consequences.

Well, now they might have to face some consequences for their ignorant hateful words and thoughts.

This privileged group wishes to return to the old ways where only they were allowed to set the debate. Only they were allowed to hold others to account for what they said.

The term political correctness is a backlash term from this group of people. That is all it's ever been.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 PM

831 posts, read 680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Political correctness is a meaningless term.

In this nation, a certain group of people historically were the only ones allowed to speak and this privileged group would putdown other groups of people with impunity and face no consequences.

Well, now they might have to face some consequences for their ignorant hateful words and thoughts.

This privileged group wishes to return to the old ways where only they were allowed to set the debate. Only they were allowed to hold others to account for what they said.

The term political correctness is a backlash term from this group of people. That is all it's ever been.

Truth hurts and it doesnt get any clearer than that, i can live with everyday banter just so long your ok with it when you become the absolute minority in real time only to whine about it to your wife and family, posting crap on the interenet waiting for an uproar because of what you had experienced that day.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Truth hurts and it doesnt get any clearer than that, i can live with everyday banter just so long your ok with it when you become the absolute minority in real time only to whine about it to your wife and family, posting crap on the interenet waiting for an uproar because of what you had experienced that day.
I don't know what you mean by your post.

I'll just add that it doesn't really matter what you(not you personally) can live with alone. It matters what other people think about everyday banter.

To me this is the crux of the issue, some people think only their sensibilities should matter. If they are cool with what was said, then in their minds anyone else who had a problem is just being sensitive.

This nation used to work like that. Certain people's sensibilities could be completely ignored and were deemed irrelevant. Now, many more people have a say in the direction of everyday banter and cry babies don't like being held to account for their words.

So this meaningless backlash term political correctness was born.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Depends who you ask.

What if whites became the minority and everybody else made white this white that jokes like every 5 mins, who will be crying foul and be shinning the beacon of PC?? hmmm

NOT WHAT IF WHITES BECOME A MINORITY ! BUT HOW SOON ! Luckily the new majority race is less hateful than the White race.

And I'm a white boy that was born and raised in Chicago And I'm not proud of how I grew up in the sixties

Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't know what you mean by your post.

I'll just add that it doesn't really matter what you(not you personally) can live with alone. It matters what other people think about everyday banter.

To me this is the crux of the issue, some people think only their sensibilities should matter. If they are cool with what was said, then in their minds anyone else who had a problem is just being sensitive.

This nation used to work like that. Certain people's sensibilities could be completely ignored and were deemed irrelevant. Now, many more people have a say in the direction of everyday banter and cry babies don't like being held to account for their words.

So this meaningless backlash term political correctness was born.

To be less cryptic, what you said is spot on, your on about white people using the PC banner all too offen without consideration to others whom they offend.

What i'm saying is, will those in the (now) majority be okay with it, be on the recieving end of constant bigotry and insensitive comments when and if they become the minority?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
NOT WHAT IF WHITES BECOME A MINORITY ! BUT HOW SOON ! Luckily the new majority race is less hateful than the White race.

And I'm a white boy that was born and raised in Chicago And I'm not proud of how I grew up in the sixties

I accept that theres always going to be things thats going to rub the next guy the wrong way round, i accept you gotta have a thick layered skin to get by, all im saying is, since a lot of the posters here are predominantly white that think PC is over rated (nothing wrong with their opinion) im just curious if they would be as willing in accepting ill favored comments projected onto them on a constant basis about their whiteness, my gutt feeling tells me "No" without resorting to violence.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
No one is stopping anyone from speaking their mind. If you want to say something controversial, then be brave and say it. Blaming "political correctness" is just a copout. Don't be such a wimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies