Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,575,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
OK...but they have no money. How can they afford to pay the tax? Is Obama going to be able to squeeze blood from a turnip? I know he said he'd fix the Earth already, but do you think he can somehow force people with no money to pay a tax? Or do they all just end up going to jail?
The way the law is written, any tax refund due to someone who has incurred a penalty will be seized. That is the main way they plan on getting at least some of the "blood out of the turnip," as it were.

And no, I am not making that up. In all seriousness, that is what will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,307,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You may be onto something... as companies have dropped health insurance over the years, they have used "the savings" to increase the incomes of these poor people.
They are supposed to do that. You health insurance is compensation. Your employer views that as apart of your total compensation. So if they give up providing health insurance that means they cut your compensation. They should give you your money afterall they are paying that insurance instead of giving you your money.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 AM

22,214 posts, read 19,512,084 times
Quote:
But I was just told by another Liberal that:

Now I see that people who already pay NO TAXES will continue to drain our system by getting completely free health care and the rest of us taxpayers will get stuck with the bill. And, there will be millions MORE draining the system without any penalty at all.

...and this is going to save the USA money somehow????
What do you think will cost the taxpayers more as it relates to those who currently don't have insurance?? Paying for those to go to the doctor before they get sick, which can keep them healthier and either prevent illnesses and diseases all together or catch them early in the process, or paying for them after they get sick when potential illness or diseases are already further along in the process and as a result much tougher and more expensive to treat??

Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What do you think will cost the taxpayers more as it relates to those who currently don't have insurance?? Paying for those to go to the doctor before they get sick, which can keep them healthier and either prevent illnesses and diseases all together or catch them early in the process, or paying for them after they get sick when potential illness or diseases are already further along in the process and as a result much tougher and more expensive to treat??

But, you didn't actually address what I said.

Since millions MORE will now be getting this free health care, common sense says that costs will increase.

PS: You can't FORCE even those people to go get preventative check-ups either. Some folks avoid going to see a doctor until they actually feel sick. So I don't see any gigantic increase happening.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,218,906 times
Quote:
OK...but they have no money. How can they afford to pay the tax? Is Obama going to be able to squeeze blood from a turnip? I know he said he'd fix the Earth already, but do you think he can somehow force people with no money to pay a tax? Or do they all just end up going to jail?
Starting in 2014, families of four making under $80K a year or less are eligible for a sliding scale refundable (so even people who have little or no income tax liability can benefit) tax credit to help them pay for premiums, plus they'll be able to purchase insurance at a lower rate through state exchanges. The benefit is paid in advance to the health insurance company so you don't have to come up with the money out of pocket for the premium and wait for reimbursement. I don't know any families without insurance who wouldn't jump at the chance to buy it at a rate affordable to their budget if they could.

Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions

Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
But, you didn't actually address what I said.

Since millions MORE will now be getting this free health care, common sense says that costs will increase.

PS: You can't FORCE even those people to go get preventative check-ups either. Some folks avoid going to see a doctor until they actually feel sick. So I don't see any gigantic increase happening.
They're paying premiums to the health insurance company so how is it free? Costs should go down because as more healthy people pay in premiums, it reduces the risk for insurance companies. They can afford to insure more sick people with pre existing conditions because they're also collecting premiums from people who rarely need medical care. State run hospitals with state paid doctors would be FREE, socialized health care. In this system, the doctors are still in business for themselves, as are the insurance companies who cover care.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Sorry, but knowing what I know of you, I find it highly unlikely you're over that threshold.

How much do you know about me?

Just wondering......exactly how much do I make and what is my profession?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Starting in 2014, families of four making under $80K a year or less are eligible for a sliding scale refundable (so even people who have little or no income tax liability can benefit) tax credit to help them pay for premiums, plus they'll be able to purchase insurance at a lower rate through state exchanges. The benefit is paid in advance to the health insurance company so you don't have to come up with the money out of pocket for the premium and wait for reimbursement. I don't know any families without insurance who wouldn't jump at the chance to buy it at a rate affordable to their budget if they could.

Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions

So RoadKing2003 posted this:

Quote:
that doesn't explain how somebody making $15,000 will be able to pay the Obamacare penalty / tax.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
They're paying premiums to the health insurance company so how is it free?
This is about those people who cannot afford to pay for any health insurance.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
This is about those people who cannot afford to pay for any health insurance.
The way the law was written, the states would have been mandated to expand medicaid to cover them (and the feds would help them pay for it)--working poor people who made that little would have been eligible for medicaid, and their coverage would have been free. Medicaid would have kicked in for those living within 133% of the poverty level, or around $31K for a family of four. The supreme court shot down the mandatory part, but states can still choose to participate on a voluntary basis, and it looks like most states will still go head with the medicaid expansion. However, if you live in a state like Florida where the governor has already vowed to fight expansion, you're out of luck at this point. Ideally Congress will come back with a fix this next session to come up with an alternative plan to insure affordable coverage for the poor, but that's going to depend largely on what happens in the Senate and the House this fall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/op...-coverage.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies