Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

How can this be?

Quote:
A new chart set to be released later today by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee details a startling statistic: "Over 100 Million People in U.S. Now Receiving Some Form Of Federal Welfare."

This is not just Americans, however. "These figures include not only citizens, but non-citizens as well," according to the committee.
Spoiler

Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare | The Weekly Standard

They have to be lying about the unemployment numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Here's even a more detailed report on whos using it............wonder how these people on the left can support people they think are poor...........are they poor, just don't work enough or here illegally.

Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Add the mortgage interest deduction, and the figure is surely much higher.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Add the mortgage interest deduction, and the figure is surely much higher.
I bet the number would be huge if you added all of the people the government let keep any portion of their own money.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How can this be?

Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare | The Weekly Standard

They have to be lying about the unemployment numbers.
The Republican Senate Budge Committee members. Hardly an impartial source, wouldn't you say?

I'd like to see a break down of the numbers and what they considered "means tested welfare."

Everything depends upon the definitions they used. The possibility of partisan spin to support their position is high.

I went to the GOP Budget Committee website and found only that chart. No supporting documentation, no explanation of how they arrived at that conclusion, no numbers, no statistics, no definitions...no nothing but a chart which you can either accept at face value or not. I noted that it says "produced by Jeff Sessions," so I went to his office website and guess what? Nothing there either.

Y'all can do cartwheels over this if you want to, but I'm calling bogus without seeing how they arrived at that figure.

Last edited by stillkit; 08-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: More informatiomn

Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The Republican Senate Budge Committee members. Hardly an impartial source, wouldn't you say?

I'd like to see a break down of the numbers and what they considered "means tested welfare."

Everything depends upon the definitions they used. The possibility of partisan spin to support their position is high.
Yes I would as well.

This is where the information used to create the chart resides.

Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP)

Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
What does Romney want to do about people on government welfare? I don't think he wants to abolish it like many conservatives believe should be done.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
I draw the line at calling SS and Medicare welfare. We pay into those programs all our lives.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes I would as well.

This is where the information used to create the chart resides.

Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP)

That's interesting. I can't find anything on that website which indicates a SIPP survey has been done since 2008.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

I went to the GOP Budget Committee website and found only that chart. No supporting documentation, no explanation of how they arrived at that conclusion, no numbers, no statistics, no definitions...no nothing but a chart which you can either accept at face value or not. I noted that it says "produced by Jeff Sessions," so I went to his office website and guess what? Nothing there either.

Y'all can do cartwheels over this if you want to, but I'm calling bogus without seeing how they arrived at that figure.
I agree, let's see the breakdown, the site was devoid of any such information or sources, I wonder why that is, hmmmmm.
What I find sad it that some blame this on one Party or the other and that some seem be actually happy to post negative news about the Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies