Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Responses in bold.

I think you are reading your chart incorrectly or not in depth. FWIW, "welfare" is not foodstamps or WIC, which you include in your $100B total. Welfare, specifically is welfare cash assistance, people getting checks, which you can break down on your chart. Personally I feel the chart is error prone since it does not even list a total under the federal portion in 2012 or 2011 for welfare cash assistance or welfare to work programs.

This article is speaking specifically about welfare. Not foodstamps or WIC or unemployment or Child Nutrition programs and certainly not "funds for strengthening markets" which IMO sounds like a farm subsidy but I may be mistaken. The portion on your chart for welfare is so insignificant that it has 0.0 for the amount spent.

Also please note that at the bottom of this websit it specifically states in regards to 2010 through present:

Honestly none of the info in the OP article is new information. It is just that some people don't want to admit this and instead want to blame someone (i.e. black people) and be jealous of us black people over stupid things that aren't necessarily true.

And for those of you who said that the OOW birth rate wasn't included, that was because that isn't a myth . Not because it is not "acknowledged" or because black people want to claim that it is not true. We know it is....duh.
If it is means tested it is wefare. Headstart, medicaid, food stamps, school lunch programs,home heating assistance, etc. All welfare. I have only heard blacks refer to welfare as the actual welfare program and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's the price you pay for 350 years of racism, segregation, and discrimination along with political, economic, disenfranchisement.

You also fail to mention how racism, segregation, and discrimination, basically amount to affirmative action for White Americans and it's been going on much longer.
So two wrongs make a right? Racial preference, segregation, and racism is bad for whites but good for blacks? I was not alive during the Jim Crow era, my ancestors didn't arrive in the new world until mid 1800s and lived in New York before moving to Minnesota and also some of them fought for the Union army so it's safe to say that my bloodline never participated in slavery. Yet I'm made to pay the price for the sins of other people's fathers and somehow in your mind this is okay? Why do I have to "pay the price for "350 years of racism, segregation, and discrimination along with political, economic, disenfranchisement" that neither my blood nor I participated in?

I'd imagine you're against racial profiling as it's not "fair" to assume a suspicious black man is a criminal just because they commit a disproportionate amount of crime in America or to profile Muslims as terrorists because their religion commits a disproportionate amount of terrorism in the world. It's basically amounts to blacks and Muslims paying for the sins of their blood and religious brothers. Yet somehow disenfranchising whites for the sins of (a minority) of our fathers is just peachy.

We don't live under the "reign of terror" anymore, the KKK is a toothless corpse, and WASPS don't dominate politically, religiously, or culturally anymore. Whites of European descent will cease to be a majority in America sometime in the coming decades. The Congressional Black Caucus, BET, NAACP, the United Negro College Fund, La Raza, Gay Pride, black power, Hispanic Pride, Asian pride, etc. in 2012 America are sanctioned and in many cases glorified. White pride is a curse word that will put you on some government watch list. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Gays, etc. are told it's okay to think tribally and work collectively for their "advancement" yet whites are told it's racist to think in terms of group or race and that race is really "just a construct."

These are double standards that are tiring. If it's wrong for one race it should be wrong for every race. Jim Crow is over and hasn't been around for decades yet many blacks and even other minorities who never suffered under slavery or Jim Crow, continually blame "institutional racism" for their shortcomings. Equality isn't the goal for most race hustlers, they won't stop until whites are second class citizens.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Slavery, of course, contributed to the economic state of both the north and the south.

Slavery in the United States | Economic History Services
Sure, maybe it did, but slaves did not "build America."

Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Sure, maybe it did, but slaves did not "build America."
The United States of America, as we know it today, would not have been possible without the free labor of African slaves....therefore African slaves are most definitely an integral part of the building of the foundation of this nation.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:02 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
So two wrongs make a right? Racial preference, segregation, and racism is bad for whites but good for blacks? I was not alive during the Jim Crow era, my ancestors didn't arrive in the new world until mid 1800s and lived in New York before moving to Minnesota and also some of them fought for the Union army so it's safe to say that my bloodline never participated in slavery. Yet I'm made to pay the price for the sins of other people's fathers and somehow in your mind this is okay? Why do I have to "pay the price for "350 years of racism, segregation, and discrimination along with political, economic, disenfranchisement" that neither my blood nor I participated in?

I'd imagine you're against racial profiling as it's not "fair" to assume a suspicious black man is a criminal just because they commit a disproportionate amount of crime in America or to profile Muslims as terrorists because their religion commits a disproportionate amount of terrorism in the world. It's basically amounts to blacks and Muslims paying for the sins of their blood and religious brothers. Yet somehow disenfranchising whites for the sins of (a minority) of our fathers is just peachy.

We don't live under the "reign of terror" anymore, the KKK is a toothless corpse, and WASPS don't dominate politically, religiously, or culturally anymore. Whites of European descent will cease to be a majority in America sometime in the coming decades. The Congressional Black Caucus, BET, NAACP, the United Negro College Fund, La Raza, Gay Pride, black power, Hispanic Pride, Asian pride, etc. in 2012 America are sanctioned and in many cases glorified. White pride is a curse word that will put you on some government watch list. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Gays, etc. are told it's okay to think tribally and work collectively for their "advancement" yet whites are told it's racist to think in terms of group or race and that race is really "just a construct."

These are double standards that are tiring. If it's wrong for one race it should be wrong for every race. Jim Crow is over and hasn't been around for decades yet many blacks and even other minorities who never suffered under slavery or Jim Crow, continually blame "institutional racism" for their shortcomings. Equality isn't the goal for most race hustlers, they won't stop until whites are second class citizens.
Just because YOUR ancestors didn't own slaves doesn't mean they didn't benefit from a system that was specifically doesn't to deny Black Americans social, economic and political opportunity and equality. Take the head start your family got in America and compare to the what the conditions were for Black Americans were at that time. Then repeat the process for every generation your family has been in this country.

If you in anyway benefited from your descendants efforts then you benefited as well.

Just because people won't call you a n******r to you face anymore doesn't mean they won't treat you like one.

You act like institutional racism doesn't exist anymore.

Typical, most White people don't believe racism exists anymore simply because they said so.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
I was responding to a poster who said that the "free labor" (slavery) that was provided made America a "powerhouse." If you check the dates on those names you listed mostly all of them were born after slavery was already made illegal and well after the founding of the nation. I stand by my assertion that white Europeans by and large built America philosophically, intellectually, and provided most of the labor to physically build it as well. That's not to say blacks and other races did not help America later on down the road but during the foundation and most of the first 100 years of the country it was built largely by white Americans of European blood.
In many cases White Americans built America on the backs of Blacks, Asians, and Mexicans. Whether is was Black slave on a planation, an Asian working on the Transcontinental Railroad, or a Mexican working on a California farm. When White people needed land they exterminated American Indians. White people essentially came to America stole, robbed and pillaged to control the land and then exploited everybody else as much as possible.

To say White people built America is the epitome of racism.

That's the people with most White people you think America is 'YOURS" and it belongs to YOU.

That's bulls**t.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
In many cases White Americans built America on the backs of Blacks, Asians, and Mexicans. Whether is was Black slave on a planation, an Asian working on the Transcontinental Railroad, or a Mexican working on a California farm. When White people needed land they exterminated American Indians. White people essentially came to America stole, robbed and pillaged to control the land and then exploited everybody else as much as possible.

To say White people built America is the epitome of racism.

That's the people with most White people you think America is 'YOURS" and it belongs to YOU.

That's bulls**t.
To single out ANY group as having "built America" is bullsh1t.

Read this. Then grab a shovel and clean up your mess.

Indentured servant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Workers, usually Europeans, including Irish,[6] Scottish,[7] English, or German immigrants,[8] immigrated to Colonial America in substantial numbers as indentured servants,[9] particularly to the British Thirteen Colonies.[10] In the 17th century, nearly two-thirds of English settlers came as indentured servants, although indentured servitude was not a guaranteed route to economic autonomy. Given the high death rate, many servants did not live to the end of their terms.[11] In the 18th and early 19th century, numerous Europeans traveled to the colonies as redemptioners, a form of indenture.[12]

Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I've never heard of some of these, and agree with others. However, number 5 and number 8 are not myths. Where affirmative action does help white women and certain other minorities, it does unfairly benefit blacks. The "points" system often awards more points to black kids, and actually subtracts them from Asians. Poor, white, young men are also severely hurt by affirmative action. Number 8 (crime rate) isn't a myth; you can try to explain why the crime rate is higher in the black community, but it's certainly not a myth.
There has never been and never will be a so-called "preference" for hiring blacks. "Preferences", probably another one of those Frank Luntz con-words that was deliberately released into the public discourse to stir up anti-sentiments against blacks. "They" are so crafty that they sunk that word into the consciousness of blacks themselves such that blacks are even sometimes heard using the word.

Give "your" ruling class a little more credit, I suggest. They deserve it, believe me. The sophisticated apparatus of Personnel Psychology and the "Toolbox" make social control in the workplace child's play for the employer. And for those few blacks who are let through the gate, there is a psychological toll to pay for being let in.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Typical, most White people don't believe racism exists anymore simply because they said so.
Most races, including minority ones, fail to recongnize their own racism. It's because people have a tendency to believe that their own personal narrow definition is what racism is. I am no different, to me, racism is believing others are in a different catagory than you and then treating them differently, especially lesser but even you treat them better. If you are the holder of the job, the grade, the money, or any other type of power that a person of another race wants or needs, then you are capable of racism. You are guilty of it if you deny them those things based simply on their race.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:48 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times
Default A bit of distorted facts here

No. 7 states that most victims of violent crimes are black whereas mostly whites are committing the crimes. The way this article words it gives the impression of the opposite truth.

Go to the Dept of Justice webiste and look at the statistics.

A greater percentage of violent crimes is commited by blacks on whites.

And the percentage of violent crimes of whites against blacks are lower

The article twists the facts - Of course more whites commit violent crimes - they are a bigger part of the population....but it's mostly against other whites.

And this continued B.S about blacks building this country...They certainly did some work, and indeed they were slaves. But the work they did was more menial - and just looking at the percentage of the workforce they represented does not need high math skills to figure out they did not contribute that much.

And the benefits that the farmers receive...1) it's a pittance compared to what goes for entitlement programs (that give money to people that do not work), and 2) apparently whoever wrote the article does not know about the black farmers in this country (if you want to talk about a boondogle, look at what they were recently given).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies