Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
That comment was actually directed at WP, who agrees with the Muslims 100% on each of those points.

But no, I'm not a big fan of Islam at all, even if the threat it poses within the US tends to be wildly exaggerated (in other parts of the world it's a different story). As long as we have freedom of religion in this country, we have no business telling anyone they can't open a place of worship because of community disapproval.
I haven't said we should. I dislike all religions, but I dislike certain ones more than others. There are multiple aspects of Buddhism, Jainism and even certain Christian churches that I respect. There are others where I find very little to admire. We should stop trying to regard them all as equal.

I used to be of your mind that the proliferation of Islam within the U.S. was propaganda, useful during the Iraq War for the Bushies. I'm not convinced of that anymore. I think it is concerning. It's disappointing that folks on the left are unwilling to confront this, particularly those who are passionate about protecting the rights of women and gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
If you support a city not being able to build a "victory" mosque (what does that mean anyway?) than should we also assume that you have no problem with the mayors that want to keep any new Chick Fil A stores from opening in their cities?
No. The the issue with the victory mosque was it's precise location, not the existence of a mosque.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
No. The the issue with the victory mosque was it's precise location, not the existence of a mosque.
Is it too close to Trinity Broadcastings "Bible Land" or some place particularly holy?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
WTF is a victory mosque?

Do you think that the 1st Amendment religious freedom shouldn't exist in certain places in the United States? Why?

Do you think that Christians should be allowed to build churches in cities where pro-lifers have blown up abortion clinics or shot doctors? Would you label them as victory churches?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Is it too close to Trinity Broadcastings "Bible Land" or some place particularly holy?
I'm sure there are hundreds of pages of old posts on this issue, but of course it had nothing to do with being around and "holy" place; it was about timing, naming, specific placement, zoning and intent.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Sco

Quote:
I'm sure there are hundreds of pages of old posts on this issue, but of course it had nothing to do with being around and "holy" place; it was about timing, naming, specific placement, zoning and intent.
So you think that our 1st Amendment freedoms are subject to the whims of timing, naming, specific placement, zoning and intent?

Where do you think Christian churches should be banned from being built?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
So you think that our 1st Amendment freedoms are subject to the whims of timing, naming, specific placement, zoning and intent?

Yes, and the Supreme Court agrees with me.

Where do you think Christian churches should be banned from being built?

Personally, everywhere. Constitutionally, where they fail to meet the reasonable requirements placed on them by the municipality or anther governing entity.
Answer in bold.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Joplin Mosque that was burned down has already raised $290K in three days.

I gave them $50 here: Rebuild the Joplin Mosque -- Indiegogo Send them a few bucks if you can.

It's a great way to demoralize these right wing bigots.
1. A bigot is a bigot, and they can be found on both the left and right wing.

2. You would think the left wing would be more ANTI Islam than anyone else, Islam hold women as lower class creature, abhors everyone else, and believes homosexuality is a SIN. In fact the Islam religion is more hard core conservative than most any other 3 right wing conservative organizations combined!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Sco

Quote:
Answer in bold.
What is a victory mosque?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
What is a victory mosque?
That is the name the Tea Party people gave to the NYC mosque two blocks from the World Trade Center ruins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies