Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I suggest you read Matthew 23

Matthew 23
I didn't say I wasn't a hypocrite. Just the other day, I was prepared to go to war over a parking space.

But I'll get my just deserts. I'm fully aware of this and in fact I stated this earlier in the thread.

That doesn't mean I'm going to take the easy route and pretend God doesn't exist, and believe I'm entitled to an easy death.

Ain't nothing in life easy. So you're damn right that I am responsible for what I say, and what I do, and if I do is not what I say, than I'm setting a bad example for Christians.

You though, instead, feel your entitled to a debt free death. Only in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I would go further to say that people can be more 'moral & ethical' if they don't embrace superstition.
To assume it's superstition is illogical. In life, there is accountability, so the logical conclusion would be, in death, there is accountability.

I thought the premise of atheism revolved around logic.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I didn't say I wasn't a hypocrite. Just the other day, I was prepared to go to war over a parking space.

But I'll get my just deserts. I'm fully aware of this and in fact I stated this earlier in the thread.

That doesn't mean I'm going to take the easy route and pretend God doesn't exist, and believe I'm entitled to an easy death.

Ain't nothing in life easy. So you're damn right that I am responsible for what I say, and what I do, and if I do is not what I say, than I'm setting a bad example for Christians.

You though, instead, feel your entitled to a debt free death. Only in America.

You're entitled to nothing on this planet except death, from birth, that is the only thing that is guaranteed you.

Belief in a God, is faith, and is no guarantee. For those that believe, there is no argument that can change their mind, outside of their own rationality. For those that don't believe, or have come to the conclusion that their prior beliefs were irrational, there is no amount of preaching that can change their mind.

The only thing God, if there is one, gave you as a living entity as a guarantee, is your death. As far as who gets into heaven? Who knows.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're entitled to nothing on this planet except death, from birth, that is the only thing that is guaranteed you.

Belief in a God, is faith, and is no guarantee. For those that believe, there is no argument that can change their mind, outside of their own rationality. For those that don't believe, or have come to the conclusion that their prior beliefs were irrational, there is no amount of preaching that can change their mind.

The only thing God, if there is one, gave you as a living entity as a guarantee, is your death. As far as who gets into heaven? Who knows.
If you read the scripture, there is a passage where Jesus talks about a landowner that goes to hire workers to tend his field.

He recruits new workers, every hour of the working day, and agrees to pay everyone, regardless of what time they were hired.

When it comes to payment, the workers that have been there the longest complain that they should be getting paid more, but the landowner responds that they signed the contract and knew what they were getting into, so they have no right to complain.

Just like in life, we know the rules. God came down and solidified it for us, so when we find ourselves bearing the heat of the day as we work long hours, we don't have any excuses, no matter how many excuses we make for ourselves in our daily lives.

We knew what we were getting into. Subconciously, we know that we are responsible for our debts.

Jesus does say, that the elect will not have to bear any of this. I believe those are the few that actually are selfless, righteous, and overall better human beings than the rest of us. I have no qualms with them getting a pass to get to Heaven because they showed more discipline and self restraint than the rest of us.

But Jesus does say, don't be caught idol. If you don't want to work, you don't get to eat. Don't let that be you, Memphis.

I suggest you look into some stories of near death experience that often parallel eachother in their accounts. Many of them speak of this darkness that was darker than anything they could have ever imagined.

Don't get caught in that darkness man. I hope that I don't either for that matter, but I'm weak. I covet women, I don't work hard enough, I seek revenge. That's not the way to live life if you want to mimic Christ.

Anyway man, it's a free country and at least as things stand, you're free to believe whatever you want.

But I would at least implore you to read the Gospel.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
If you read the scripture, there is a passage where Jesus talks about a landowner that goes to hire workers to tend his field.

He recruits new workers, every hour of the working day, and agrees to pay everyone, regardless of what time they were hired.

When it comes to payment, the workers that have been there the longest complain that they should be getting paid more, but the landowner responds that they signed the contract and knew what they were getting into, so they have no right to complain.

Just like in life, we know the rules. God came down and solidified it for us, so when we find ourselves bearing the heat of the day as we work long hours, we don't have any excuses, no matter how many excuses we make for ourselves in our daily lives.

We knew what we were getting into. Subconciously, we know that we are responsible for our debts.

Jesus does say, that the elect will not have to bear any of this. I believe those are the few that actually are selfless, righteous, and overall better human beings than the rest of us. I have no qualms with them getting a pass to get to Heaven because they showed more discipline and self restraint than the rest of us.

But Jesus does say, don't be caught idol. If you don't want to work, you don't get to eat. Don't let that be you, Memphis.

I suggest you look into some stories of near death experience that often parallel eachother in their accounts. Many of them speak of this darkness that was darker than anything they could have ever imagined.

Don't get caught in that darkness man. I hope that I don't either for that matter, but I'm weak. I covet women, I don't work hard enough, I seek revenge. That's not the way to live life if you want to mimic Christ.

Anyway man, it's a free country and at least as things stand, you're free to believe whatever you want.

But I would at least implore you to read the Gospel.

I have read the bible, through and through.

But the only thing thats guaranteed you is death. Read Ecclesiastes. The work of man is futile, it all falls apart, your life means nothing, except in service to God.

The only thing guaranteed you from birth, is death.

Sorry. Now I make more of my life then that, but I do that because I know, the only thing I'm guaranteed, is death.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

Can this be the coming of the New Age of Enlightenment?
Most people under 30 identify with atheist. Being that over 75% of teenagers who go into college Christian will leave atheist, that explains why there is such an increase in atheism.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
American Atheists: 1 in 20 Americans say they are atheists

Can this be the coming of the New Age of Enlightenment?
Good development The correlation between atheism and intellectual/economic level says a lot...

One might conclude that people at the bottom need religion to give them hope or the illusion of justice, the illusion that at least gods like them, if society doesn't. And in order not to have to admit that gods don't care, either, one postpones the hope for justice and reward to the afterlife...

Old 08-18-2012, 01:21 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
In life, there is accountability, so the logical conclusion would be, in death, there is accountability.
Ehm - that doesn't follow. Life and death are manifestly different conditions, what makes you think that what holds true in life must hold true in death?

Besides which, I don't think the basic premise of accountability in life is sound. Anne Frank perished in Bergen-Belsen, Leni Riefenstahl died surrounded by loved ones at age 101.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:26 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Was there a president that refused?
What do you mean, "refuse"? It's not a de facto requirement.

There were presidents who chose not to - Theodore Roosevelt and John Quincy Adams.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:27 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
How about addressing the man who wrote the founding document of our nation?

I'd say Madison has a hell of a lot more to do with politics in the United States then a man who we were told lived some 2000 years ago in what is today, modern Israel.
I don't think that being a Christian he would like to know that his words are being pitched against the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies