Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,725,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
One would think politicians watching the Akin fiasco would tread very gently. Not so Rep. Steve King who when asked in response to Akins remarks what his thoughts were in the cases of pregnancy resulting from incest or statutory rape:

"Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way".

Say what?

These are people pushing legislation without knowing any of the facts. Scary.

Rep. Steve King on the Campaign Trail - KMEG 14 - News, Weather, Sports for Sioux City and Siouxland |

Steve King Never Heard of Anyone Getting Pregnant by Statutory Rape - Yahoo! News
So people who fervently believe that life begins at conception have no other choice, other than to stand squarely behind people like Akin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
"Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way".

How does that say he's never heard of it at all? It doesn't. The Left is off the charts crazy with all of their inserting words into people's mouths.
IF I was a pregnant woman, I sure wouldn't want to bring my set of circumstances over it to a Republican office holder for discussion.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,487,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
IF I was a pregnant woman, I sure wouldn't want to bring my set of circumstances over it to a Republican office holder for discussion.
Well you're not, so it's a moot point. Do you even know what this thread is about? Do you know what statutory rape is?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,143,291 times
Quote:
Well you're not, so it's a moot point. Do you even know what this thread is about? Do you know what statutory rape is?
See wiggle room.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
See wiggle room.
That's the room you are in right now trying to wiggle anything loose to try and prove a point. You have proven nothing with your posts, just wasted space and time.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do. And it's not just about statutory rape.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, I do. And it's not just about statutory rape.
Oh and incest. Do you know what King said?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,428,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I have to agree with you D, that's what the man said...

But its a pretty telling comment for a legislator who sponsors bills banning funding for abortion due to incest or rape. One would think that a person who opposes such funding would take the fracking time out to familiarize themselves with the statistics provided by his own state before sponsoring such legislation be that information being brought to him in a "personal way" or not.
1,019 teenage and 833 child survivors of sexual abuse were served by Iowa sexual violence centers from July 1, 2006- June 30, 2007.

915 teenage and 866 child survivors of sexual abuse were served by Iowa sexual violence centers from July 1, 2005- June 30, 2006.

In 2009, there were 719 confirmed reports [to the Iowa department of Human Services] of child sexual abuse and 244 confirmed reports of a child living with a registered sex offender.

According to the 2008 Iowa Uniform Crime Report by the Iowa Department of Public Safety, there were 931 reported cases of forcible rape; 151 reported cases of forcible sodomy; 108 reported cases of sexual assault with an object;

716 reported cases of forcible fondling; 43 reported cases of incest; and 148 reported cases of statutory rape.

Among Iowans who have ever experienced sexual violence, most experienced sexual violence before the age 18.

Men and women who have ever experienced sexual violence were equally likely to have experienced sexual violence before the age of 18 (65.8% and 67.1% respectively).

Among women who experienced sexual violence before the age of 18, the perpetrator was most commonly a family member or friend, acquaintance, or a date. (The sample contained too few male victims of sexual violence to analyze separately.)
Sexual Assault in Iowa Statistics, 2009 Compiled by the Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault using the Iowa Crime Victim Assistance Division, Fiscal Year 2007 Annual Report; the 2008 Uniform Crime Report, Iowa Department of Public Safety; Iowa Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System survey, Iowa Department of Public Health. (Statistics above are the most recent available as of August 2008)

Cedar Valley Friends Of The Family - A Crisis Intervention and Prevention Agency

But then again in King's defense the age for unmitigated statutory rape is only 13 years of age, and it's ok for an 18 year olds to have sex with a 15 years old.

Now dems my kind of family values!
His appalling ignorance would be cured by spending one day in the L&D unit at a public hospital.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,143,291 times
Quote:
That's the room you are in right now trying to wiggle anything loose to try and prove a point. You have proven nothing with your posts, just wasted space and time.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
His appalling ignorance would be cured by spending one day in the L&D unit at a public hospital.
What would that do? Do you have statistics of how many women are getting pregnant due to incest or statutory rape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies