Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No one is pro abortion, just pro giving a woman a right to make her own choice, the government does not belong in our bodies.

Also Akin is a sitting congressman showing a blatant sign of ignorance that shouldn't be tolerated in office.

So what is a man's connection to an unwanted child except the sperm left behind?

Isn't his semen part of his body?

He didn't cause that sperm to become a child.

We may have been driving home to his wife when that happened.

If what a woman does with her body is none of the government's business, why are the rules changed when its a man's body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Correct. I am still waiting for someone to tell me which "life threatening" conditions to the mother would warrant aborting her child. Not holding my breath....
Etopic pregnancy happens in about 1 out of 50 pregnancies. If allowed to progress they will kill the mother.
Placental abruption in severe cases can cause the death of both mother and fetus.preeclampsia can cause serious health problems, and even death for the mother, and fetus.

There are more I'm sure.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Indeed it does. Now that we have established your standard, I take that not only would you oppose war and the death penalty?
I do indeed oppose the death penalty.

No sane person "supports" war - however a nation must defend itself when it is attacked.

Pacifism leads to obliteration. By your standard - we would be be speaking German or Japanese right now.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I do indeed oppose the death penalty.

No sane person "supports" war - however a nation must defend itself when it is attacked.

Pacifism leads to obliteration. By your standard - we would be be speaking German or Japanese right now.
Still, I think working towards disarmament of the world is still a viable goal. We shouldn't use 'human nature' as an excuse to be militant. But yes obviously we couldn't disarm the world overnight.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:53 PM

629 posts, read 946,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Life begins at conception. Case closed.
That makes it sound as if gametes are not alive. Human cells are alive. Human life started many millennia ago.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:10 PM

629 posts, read 946,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Correct. I am still waiting for someone to tell me which "life threatening" conditions to the mother would warrant aborting her child. Not holding my breath....
pregnancy-related

ectopic pregnancy is the obvious one. These pregnancies are not viable.
HELLP syndrome/eclampsia (usually occurs late enough in pregnancy that a viable infant can be delivered)
hyperemesis gravidarim (death to the mother is rare but this can be a very serious condition)

Chronic medical conditions that can put mother's health/life in danger

systemic lupus erythematosus
diabetes
chronic high blood pressure
kidney disease
severe heart disease
sickle cell disease
thyroid disease
blood clotting disorders

some of these can be managed to one degree or another but they do present a real health risk. Certainly it should be the woman's choice if she wishes to take on those risks or not.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So what is a man's connection to an unwanted child except the sperm left behind?

Isn't his semen part of his body?

He didn't cause that sperm to become a child.

We may have been driving home to his wife when that happened.

If what a woman does with her body is none of the government's business, why are the rules changed when its a man's body?
You mind telling me how the government has been telling men what they must do with their body and sperm? Do you consider it murder when one masturbates? Though technically that would be genocide which I guess would be far more worse.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:57 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You mind telling me how the government has been telling men what they must do with their body and sperm? Do you consider it murder when one masturbates? Though technically that would be genocide which I guess would be far more worse.

If a woman discharges an egg which is not fertilized, it's a non-event involving only herself.

When a man discharges sperm, it is also a non-event.

When a woman releases an egg that is fertilized and implanted and begins to grow, she is nevertheless under no legal obligation to continue any sort of supportive relationship with it.

A man whose sperm fertilizes the same egg will be forced by a court to pay support for this same unwanted child.

Are women too irresponsible to be held to the same standard as men?

The truth is both parties are equally responsible for creating a dependent child.

The child didn't choose to be created within a uterus or to be made dependent on his or her mother's body.

The decisions of the parents placed that child there and made that child dependent on the mother.

Arguments used to deny personhood to a fetus are the same arguments that were used to deny personhood to African slaves and Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals and political opponents in Nazi Germany.

No surprise that it is a voting majority who have decided those who cannot vote are non-persons.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Tell me what doctor makes a living only upon abortions?

No one is "pro-abortion", people are "pro-choice" and "anti-choice."

Todd Akin is a jerk and he just said what the rest of his party was thinking. There was only one ignorant statement.
I am pro abortion. That alone proves you wrong. More abortions equals less poverty and crime.

When someone says a fetus is twelve weeks old at what point are they measuring from?

When a woman states she is six months pregnant at what point is she measuring from?

When an Arkansas native says " Ya know if my sister had not looked so good in them Daisy Dukes you would not be here, son." What event do ya think he is referring to?

The fact is human life sometimes needs to be killed. Othertimes it is a net good to kill the parasite. Up to the third trimester a woman should be able to kill the developing fetus, in instances of rape, incest, or any other reason, including the ultrasound showed the kid has a big nose.

Last edited by whogo; 09-01-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Pro-choicers do not deny it's a life.
Ya need to tell Wayland Woman that. She is making pro-choicers look like scientific ignoramouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies