Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,704,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
But, unlike so many of the liberal apostatical atheist hypocrites and self anointed keepers of freedom responding so harshly to your "question" .... I believe that freedom of speech extends to you to. And that really illustrates the fallacy inherent in your question to begin with.
This thread is only a few pages long. Maybe you could quote some of the "many . . . liberal apostatical atheist hypocrites and self appointed keepers of freedom" who have said that freedom of speech does not extend to the original poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,704,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't want to ditch the First Amendment but wouldn't mind not having to listen to people feigning victimhood over some imagined loss of rights.
Your wish is granted.

From now on you don't have to listen to anyone you don't want to listen to.

Happy now?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 AM

68,369 posts, read 54,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Your wish is granted.

From now on you don't have to listen to anyone you don't want to listen to.

Happy now?
No Genie, where's the Mclaren MP4-12C that was my second wish and the Beechcraft Model 17 that was my third?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,621,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Big Deal.... so public praying, bringing religious gifts and mentioning God is considered illegal at tax-payer supported meetings and institutions. And you think this is the equivalent of "chasing Christianity back into the catacombs" (geez, drama-queen much...)?!
You asked for examples, I gave you some. The report is 140 pages long. If you're truly skeptical, maybe give it a read.

Besides, you get examples from me all the time. Recall the innkeepers in Vermont who were fined $30K and forced to stop services for simply practicing the tenets of their Christian faith. Stay tuned for more.

The thing that secularists have a hard time with is that Christianity is not just a private "me and Jesus" religion - it demands action in the world, it's communal, it's social, it's evangelical. To practice Christianity is to bring it with you everywhere. That's the nature of the faith. If Christians aren't even permitted to mention God at "taxpayer supported meetings" - nevermind the fact that they are also taxpayers! - their religion is being driven, metaphorically, back into the catacombs.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,489,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The thing that secularists have a hard time with is that Christianity is not just a private "me and Jesus" religion - it demands action in the world, it's communal, it's social, it's evangelical.
And thanks to the First Amendment, those of us who choose not to participate in your religion, either actively or passively, don't have to.

But you seem to have a problem with that.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM

429 posts, read 656,051 times
So pretty much you are a crusader?

You say that you must take your crazy religion with you everywhere and stuff it down people's throats.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM

on a side note- I never really understood the whole point in organized religions having this strong desire to have everybody else join their club. They are relentless till you finally tell them you accept their Lord or God and do their little rituals with them. What is the point? Is it a money issue? More money for the club? Is it a issue where the more members in your club then it help diminish the fact that most of it is BS? Kind of like a self assurance that your club really is legit?

If I belonged to a religion that told me I would go to a special place to float on a cloud for eternity for forever happiness then I would want that place all to myself and my few other worshipers. I wouldn't let other chumps in on the secret.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,621,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And thanks to the First Amendment, those of us who choose not to participate in your religion, either actively or passively, don't have to.

But you seem to have a problem with that.
"Passively"? You bet I have a problem with that. I have to passively participate with godless Secularism every day of my life. But you can't handle a little passive participation with Christianity?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
"Passively"? You bet I have a problem with that. I have to passively participate with godless Secularism every day of my life. But you can't handle a little passive participation with Christianity?
Who forces you to participate in godless secularism?

Would I care if you said a prayer to yourself in Public? no. Took a cross with you to court? No.
Would I care if you want my son to learn creationism in public school? Yes. Made him Pray before lunch at school? Yes

I think people are arguing different things here. Nobody is saying you can't have your Christian beliefs.. Just that the public sector shouldn't cater to you because you belong to an organized religion.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,489,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Who forces you to participate in godless secularism?
Maybe he's referring to the existence of Sunday shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies