Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
We could nuke half the species on the planet out of existence tomorrow if we wanted to... if it's possible to effect the earth in such a huge way on purpose then why is it unreasonable to assume we could do so inadvertently?
We are part of the earth; no one is arguing otherwise. But the nuclear holocaust to which you refer expresses the same kind of hubris which motivates those who would save the whales by impoverishing humanity. They are equally absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:55 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Have you considered that doing nothing about man's contribution to global warming might contribute to the impoverishment of humanity?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Have you considered that doing nothing about man's contribution to global warming might contribute to the impoverishment of humanity?
I have, indeed. I am confident that profitable ways will be found to address the emotional concerns of those wishful thinkers who use first-class jet travel to attend concerts for the environment, at which massive amounts of coal- generated electricity are expended, and millions of gallons of water in nonrecyclable plastic bottles are consumed.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:08 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Wow, post one temperature graph and you think you've completely debunked the whole global climate change issue? How about taking a fully integrated approach of combining and reviewing temperatures, levels of different compounds in the air, water temps, man-made/natural/and agricultural affects on pollution in the air/water, solar issues, etc...

When you only narrowly focus on one item, then you dont get the full picture. Of course attacking Gore is easier so I understand why some do it.
Was there any attack in my post?

No, it was a simple graph to show what many feel is a simple explanation.

The earth goes through warming and cooling cycles, it has for millions of years.

Do I think we have to look for alternative energy sources? Yes
Do I think we can do anything about the normal temperature flucuations that have been part of the earth since the beginning of time? No

And I have studied other effects on global temperatures including increased or decreased levels of volcanic eruptions, the change since the big push to ban aerosols among other factors.

Now please explain to me, since you obviously have a better grasp on the situation than anyone else, why was it less than 30 years ago there was talk of cooling temperatures and some even thinking it was the beginning of another ice age?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Wow, post one temperature graph and you think you've completely debunked the whole global climate change issue? How about taking a fully integrated approach of combining and reviewing temperatures, levels of different compounds in the air, water temps, man-made/natural/and agricultural affects on pollution in the air/water, solar issues, etc...

When you only narrowly focus on one item, then you dont get the full picture. Of course attacking Gore is easier so I understand why some do it.
Now I will attack Gore.

How are we to take seriously someone who uses more kilowatt hours of electricity in one month in their home than the average household does in 2 years.

And I don't buy the "paying a third party to offset his carbon footprint". If you want to preach it, live it don't pay someone else to do it for you.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
live it don't pay someone else to do it for you.
But thats the whole point of his scam. Do what you can, and any thing thats too difficult to give up or if you just don't want to give up anything, buy carbon credits. Then companies like his will pay others to go green for you. You just give them the money first, and they promise cleaner air and a planet that is saved from emergency, of course, at an unspecified time...

Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
But thats the whole point of his scam. Do what you can, and any thing thats too difficult to give up or if you just don't want to give up anything, buy carbon credits. Then companies like his will pay others to go green for you. You just give them the money first, and they promise cleaner air and a planet that is saved from emergency, of course, at an unspecified time...
Hey, they're giving it a shot. Remember pet rocks?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
While you're so concerned with trying to debunk global warming by trying to debunk Al Gore, scientist all over the world finding additional evidence related to global warming. So you're actually looking in the wrong place. It's like asking a physican assistant on the benefits of brain surgery for a brain injury. Why not ask a brain surgeon?
Please supply links:

Old 10-05-2007, 03:49 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Quote:
it was a simple graph to show what many feel is a simple explanation.

The earth goes through warming and cooling cycles, it has for millions of years.
That’s the problem, show a simple graph to explain away a dynamic and complex issue such as climate change

Quote:
Now please explain to me, since you obviously have a better grasp on the situation than anyone else, why was it less than 30 years ago there was talk of cooling temperatures and some even thinking it was the beginning of another ice age?
Scientist are not like religious conservatives who are stuck on an old concepts and cement it into their thinking, scientist are always working to improve the data, improve the understanding, searching for evidence and answers and knowing that one facet of science is that every theory is falsifiable as new evidence and data is gathered and changes over time affect prior conclusions. So past conclusions either get proven wrong or strengthened.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:59 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Please supply links:
Why not take the time to search it out yourself. Go to the many science based websites and peer reviewed journals related to the subject, it is easy to find and to do a search of. Steer away from policy based sides run by politically motivated groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies