Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,945,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
They've harkened back to Ted Kennedy, Carter and MLK on the first night; and the GOP are the ones that should be on black and white television? Me thinks it's the pot calling the kettle black.

This has been more a get out the vote convention, than anything else.

OOOPS, Julian Castro just thanked God. <faint>
Youthinks? So much different from the Repub convention, eh?
Yeah, black and white TV - the "Ozzie and Harriet" world to which low-information repubs yearn to return. An era of festering but hidden problems. A simple time when everybody "had their place".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,945,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think perhaps its clear that stimulus as stated by Obama and what it was was taolly two different things ;in fact. Its was never i practice a massive infrastrucure spending with huge numbers of jobs created. that has long been forgotten. Eve his fellow democrats have not supported anther such spendig program by votes.He can't even get a budget pass his own party now.
Gawd - total conjecture or (?). Conservative media your news source. Keneysian govt involvement too much for you - so you make stuff up.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM

20,731 posts, read 19,400,813 times
Reagan was the best Keynesian we ever had. Massive deficits directly spent on da gubement. However because it was the military, it got a nice shinny conservative hood ornament. Even better is that it helped the economy from an employment stand point as predicted, but also fundamentally altered the economy more towards the military industrial complex according to the less reputed nature of Keynesian command economic policy, as predicted.

Reagan and Keynes is like two peas in a pod.

Obama on the other hand ran a deficit which looks like a great Keynesian hood ornament...but he gave it to bankers which makes him the premier Chicago School Monetarist.

Does anyone even see the duck? I can't see cause its raining quails.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
Reading this thread makes me sad at the large number of people who have only a tenuous understanding of Keynesian economics at best.

So far aside from what I have said Pghquest is probably the only other person who has mentioned Keynesian policies and actually understands what they are. Granted though I think there were times when the debt was declining relative to GDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There are two sides to Keynesian policies, one that involves spending, the other involves saving.. Since American NEVER saves, what we do cant possibly EVER be called Keynesian..

FAIL..

And thats not even disputing the ridiculous statement that the stimulus works, because there are multitude types of stimulations.. Not all of them are the same.
+1

Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It started in 1999 actually, and peaked around 2005.
Indeed since money started looking for safety only until 1999 when plenty could smell the bubble by then.

Real vs Nominal Housing Prices: United States 1890-2010

However that was primed by Reaynesian deficits :

Dow Jones Industrial Average (1900 - Present Monthly) - Charting Tools - StockCharts.com

Which of course was primed Nixon's breaking Bretton Woods and not putting the Nix on inflation.

http://goldandsilverblog.com/wp-cont...since-1913.png

Toss in these heads of Cerberus bloat housing to our doom.

Nice job boys.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Reading this thread makes me sad at the large number of people who have only a tenuous understanding of Keynesian economics at best.

So far aside from what I have said Pghquest is probably the only other person who has mentioned Keynesian policies and actually understands what they are. Granted though I think there were times when relatively speaking the debt was declining relative to GDP.

+1
That's a recent phenomena since I kept lampooning him for screwing it up himself. It really helps to actually read the book. General Theory of Employment Interest and Money.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That's a recent phenomena since I kept lampooning him for screwing it up himself. It really helps to actually read the book. General Theory of Employment Interest and Money.
It does. When you actually read Keynes he clearly states that it is important to fight inflation during boom times by raising taxes and cutting spending. At the time he was president Reagan had the some of the best GDP growth since the go-go 1960s. If he were Keynesian he would not have followed the spending and tax polices he did. He was a classic supply-sider.

Keynes is all about regulating the business cycle not just endlessly stimulating it without rhyme or reason. That is simply a characature of Keynesian economics set up to discredit it in lieu of having a legitimate argument.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
It does. When you actually read Keynes he clearly states that it is important to fight inflation during boom times by raising taxes and cutting spending. At the time he was president Reagan had the some of the best GDP growth since the go-go 1960s. If he were Keynesian he would not have followed the spending and tax polices he did. He was a classic supply-sider.

All true but he unwittingly proved the Keynesian concept by causing a flare up the theory predicts. For my part I am a Keynesian in descriptions , but less so in prescriptions. Though frankly the Keynesians and the Austrians are the only one's with a clue right now since they actually do know where the problem is. They both are acutely aware that money is a barbaric estimation of value. One seems to view it by its inherent faults while the other its inherent corruption. One thinks you need to jack with it while the other wants to keep bad people from jacking with it. They are indeed of the same religion but viewing each other as heretics.

Its not really a tough concept, but it must be learned. When you have a real surplus, you run an account deficit which perversely looks like da guberment is running out of money where in fact the state is full of capacity. It also tries to use goods directly to avoid "money" which is always fundamentally psychological no matter what you do. This avoids people taking stimulus and saving it where is becomes green mattress stuffing and fails to use goods and services.

When the state is over using its resources then it perversely should appear to be flush with cash running an account surplus. Not a mystery why people are confused but they sure are.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,693,507 times
Quote:

So far aside from what I have said Pghquest is probably the only other person who has mentioned Keynesian policies and actually understands what they are. Granted though I think there were times when the debt was declining relative to GDP.

+1

What do you think of MMT?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I've never ONCE stated facts about keynesian policies that were wrong. Maybe you can point them out to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies