Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Freakonomics » How Much Does the President Really Matter?

Seriously, people like to think the president matters. he really doesn't, at least not when it comes to the economy. Both Bush and Obama inherited years of stupid fiscal policies put in place by two idiotic parties. Sallie Mae, Mortgage deduction on interest, huge military spending, medicare, SSN.

Vote for Obama if you want the next supreme court justice to be moderate. but. . thats about it. . .

Bush is as responsible for the dotcom bust as Clinton was for its creation

(i.e. neither did anything but get lucky/unlucky)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
We all, most of us, know the reason for America's financial mess is because of GW Bush. Bush cut taxes for the rich and dove head long into two unfunded wars costing us trillions. This is what President Obama inherited. At the same time we have a republican congress that has sat on their asses and declared to do nothing in order to oust a president. It is this congress that is responsible for the sad state of America. America needs to get this congress out of office.

We need to re-elect President Obama. We absolutely must take our congressional members out behind the wood shed and give them a dam good ass kicking. We have enough problems in this country without have a war between the republicans and democrats. If this cannot not be resolved them we must rally around a new party that will work for the benefit of all Americans and not just the top 1%.
That is not the reason for the financial mess.

Think about it - what to do tax cuts do? The tax rate is lowered so citizens retain more of their money - and in this case, SocSecurity gets lets. How does that create a financial mess? It is simply shifting money around.

Unfunded wars - OK, so everything else is funded except the Defense Dept., right? Hello?? It's ALL unfunded - the wars, the unemployment insurance, the SocSecurity, the Medicare, the Medicaid, the education... We are $16T in debt. We borrowed (or printed) money for that - so does that create a financial mess?

I think to figure out who is at fault for the financial mess means actually figuring out what the mess is before you start assigning blame.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Actually the fault lies with the banksters, the global banksters because neither Obama nor Bush could have caused or fixed a GLOBAL RECESSION. The banksters created debt bubbles all over the world that started popping in 2008.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Freakonomics » How Much Does the President Really Matter?

Seriously, people like to think the president matters. he really doesn't, at least not when it comes to the economy. Both Bush and Obama inherited years of stupid fiscal policies put in place by two idiotic parties. Sallie Mae, Mortgage deduction on interest, huge military spending, medicare, SSN.

Vote for Obama if you want the next supreme court justice to be moderate. but. . thats about it. . .

Bush is as responsible for the dotcom bust as Clinton was for its creation

(i.e. neither did anything but get lucky/unlucky)

The President puts a cabinet together and staffs the leadership of the federal regulators (EPA, DHS, etc.). Regulations can be created that affect the cost of doing private sector business.

Go back two years with the Gulf of Mexico moratorium. Obama and the DOE/BOERME regulators defied court orders and kept a moratorium in place that probably did more damage to the NewOrleans economy than the actual accident itself. Some rigs left the region to head to the Middle East because they were idle.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 AM

831 posts, read 680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
Yep, Obama promised a recovery in his first term...or he would be a one -term president! Bye, bye BO!

Well now, Is it a Christian thing to do, to make it hard for your fellow man when he's trying his darnest to do the right things?.. If republicans believed in the bible so much then why do they do their darnest to just obstruct this president at every given turn. I may not believe going to church on sundays or reading the bible is the path to one's salvation or the way forward, but i sure hell got a better conscience than many a lot of you. I may not like all of the policies of Obama, hell, i have not once voted a democrat into government. But i dont need to hate him and i sure hell aint got villify him in order to make a point he's doing a bad job!!

If you think you can do a better job, make the case of what YOU have to offer is better. I dont get that with romney/ryan. All i see if self centered self interest corrupted out of touch individuals, there is no connection, they certainly DONT represent the modern age conservative like me..

What i believe and what i think is BEST for THIS COUNTRY. Obama/Biden HAS THAT TICKET!!!

WE DONT!!!!

What we have a ticket on..... is how we FUKCED this country up, down, left right and center. Thats what we did in the 8 yrs before obama, As much as we screwed the enemies of America, we forgot to make the destinctions who the REAL enemies are from our fellow man. We shot oursevles on the foot and decided to shoot everybody else... That is not who we are...

Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
He's the food stamp president, Campaigner in chief.

At no time in the history of the US have we ever had our country's credit rating downgraded or had a record busting number of people on food stamps.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
The same exact way he expected Bush to own up to it. He now needs to own up to his mess. If you can take the creidt, the criticisim dished out, you should also be able to accept.

You want others to accept failure, but not yourself, never knew Obama was perfect!

What i hate is this late in the game, blaming others, when we clearly know the score.

Score is no matter who pumps Obama up, we heard it all before, the reality is what real people are experiencing, and how their life has changed due to a lost job, and a home too, or a lost home due to a lost job.

Those hard working people who never in a million yrs thought they would be standing in line for welfare and food stamps. those real people. They are the ones who know the truth.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Articles: Why Blame Obama?

Obama voted for the budgets he blamed Bush for. He then pushed for emergency spending in his first year and KEPT spending at those levels. Not with a budget but with continuing resolutions. STILL this is the most pathetic recovery ever from a recession.
Excuses out the rear end.
Bottom line is Obama is incapable and it is time for him to be voted out (and he will be).

Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Dont be an idiot all your life, Lets say for arguments sake, he is a failure, can you honestly look yourself in the mirror and say that republicans never played a hand on the obstructionist movement??
Did you forget that Obama is the "I won" president? He refused to work with the Republicans.

Obama to GOP: 'I won' - Jonathan Martin and Carol E. Lee - POLITICO.com

Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Has anyone on this forum ever had his/her mind changed b/c of a thread?

I would love to know it.

I do know some of the folks on this forum who sincerely believed Obama was the hope for the future now feel his administration has been a dismal failure.

So I wonder why we all continue to post here, lol.

Is there one person who reads these threads and hasn't already made up his/her mind who they are voting for?

I don't think so.

I think Obama has been a dismal failure. But I did not think McCain (and especially, Palin) were what this country needed, either.

I wanted Obama to be a successful President b/c I want our country be a solvent, productive country. That isn't what happened. So I think Obama needs to find another job and let someone else see what they can do with the mess we are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies