Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,310,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
The Romney family and Ryan family both benifited from goverment safety nets. Now that they are wealthy they want to take it away from people who need need it.

Basicly the republican MO....."I got mine"
It is one thing to use a safety net for a short time. It is another to live off of it for more than a few months.
We can take care of the elderly and disabled, the rest after a short time need to get off the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,890,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My dad was a police officer, not rich, but yes a very good role model thank you. We keep pouring money of failed schools without holding them accountable. The inner cities continue to crumble under this presidency and the only care the first lady has is whats in your lunch bucket... and too many don't even have those. Surprised you must be when a conservative is concerned about the ghettos and outraged that the gangs and drug lords continue to rule them all. And as far as my successful husband goes...well his dad was a blue collar worker, poor white trash,,,the kind you all despise, but proud people, hard working people just the same.
"The kind you all despise", are you being serious? Those are exactly the people I am trying to protect by voting my heart! Republicans and their social program slashing, while allowing the wealthy pay less taxes than the middle class. As I wrote earlier, No Child Left Behind has been as miserable failure, but I'm sure you will continue to blame Obama for all of the problems of the world. Way to take responsibility for your parties screw ups.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM

831 posts, read 683,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Mitt's own father was on welfare. Here's the video.

Mitt Romney's Mum Says his Dad was on Welfare - YouTube

Thats a good example of Slamming the door behind you after walking through it...

Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,752,366 times
You hardly ever saw homeless in this country at all until Reagan dumped the mentally challenged out of government run institutions onto our streets. That was ruthless ! The Republicans are trying to do it again. Except now they will put not only the poor and helpless but seniors out on the streets, as well.
It certainly doesn't paint a very pretty picture.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,761,548 times
Quote:
Mitt's own father was on welfare. Here's the video.
What a shocking disgrace!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,890,034 times
Quote:
You hardly ever saw homeless in this country at all until Reagan dumped the mentally challenged out of government run institutions onto our streets. That was ruthless ! The Republicans are trying to do it again. Except now they will put not only the poor and helpless but seniors out on the streets, as well.
Reagan also fired my great uncle, President of UCLA Berkeley, for allowing the students to protest the Vietnam War. I cannot believe people actually respect him. I won't even bring up de-regulation. Gee, thanks for that train wreck, Ronnie.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,724,707 times
She says, "he was on welfare relief for the first years of his life."

So who was on welfare? His parents?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,805,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It's no wonder the dems turned over over 600 legislature seats in 2010 when lies like this,"Now that they are wealthy they want to take it away from people who need need it."are spread.

You made the claim now back it up.
Isn't that the whole platform of the GOP since basically the New Deal--to end entitlement programs? Isn't this what they campaign on--to end big government and bureaucracy, especially the big gov. created by the provisions for gov. safety nets?

Are you aware that this is what the GOP is all about (in addition to pro-defense spending, pro-deregulation, and anti-taxation)?

I mean, just read a few posts by conservatives who frequent C-D--they hate entitlement programs and want them ended forever!

On a personal note, I have a cousin who's uber-Catholic and very Republican. She and her husband (who's a dirtbag who got kicked out of the Navy for fighting with his subordinates) despise anything welfare (except gov. support of big business and the military-industrial-tech complex). Their uber-Catholicism has since delivered them into some dire financial straits. They have 12 kids with another on the way (because they don't believe in birth control). Well my cousin's husband, the dirtbag that he is, is a nuclear engineer but cannot keep a job to save his life because he's such a a-hole. He recently got fired and they soon went down to the unemployment office, was denied benefits, and so they then went on to the local welfare office to sign up for SNAP (food stamps).

They are still uber-Republican and still want an end to all domestic entitlement programs, even the ones that keep them afloat. (BTW, my cousin doesn't work because their uber-Catholicism mandates that women stay at home).

I mean, you've got to be kidding me if you're unaware that the GOP wants to gut welfare and the like.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM

53,511 posts, read 35,203,346 times
Quote:
how many times will the moonbats repeat this *******ed lie?

Quote:
"President John F. Kennedy's 1963 Community Mental Health Centers Act accelerated the trend toward deinstitutionalization with the establishment of a network of community mental health centers."
http://www.minddisorders.com/Br-Del/...alization.html

Quote:
"The national deinstitutionalization movement was launched in 1965 through the community mental health centers program. The movement was further fueled by concerns over civil rights and the conditions in institutions. That led to the courts limiting involuntary institutionalization and setting minimum standards for care in institutions."
http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...ntentID=137545

Quote:
"Deinstitutionalization was based on the principle that severe mental illness should be treated in the least restrictive setting. As further defined by President Jimmy Carter's Commission on Mental Health, this ideology rested on "the objective of maintaining the greatest degree of freedom, self-determination, autonomy, dignity, and integrity of body, mind, and spirit for the individual while he or she participates in treatment or receives services."8 This is a laudable goal and for many, perhaps for the majority of those who are deinstitutionalized, it has been at least partially realized. For a substantial minority, however, deinstitutionalization has been a psychiatric Titanic. Their lives are virtually devoid of "dignity" or "integrity of body, mind, and spirit." "Self-determination" often means merely that the person has a choice of soup kitchens. The "least restrictive setting" frequently turns out to be a cardboard box, a jail cell, or a terror-filled existence plagued by both real and imaginary enemies."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...l/excerpt.html

Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,318,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Both sides, repubs and dems spend so much time trying to "out poor" each other.

The poor aren't paying their share of taxes, yes they need some type of temporary government assistance, but this lifetime welfare family garbage has to be stopped.
Your ignorance of welfare reform is astonishing. There is a 5 year max. The idea of a lifetime of welfare was never true, but it isn't even possible under the law for it to be true.

Yet conservatives keep believing despite the reality of the change that people are on welfare for a lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies