Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
You do realize this could have happened to her in a group, right? Being in a group doesn't stop anyone, and often groups actually make it easier because the physical proximity makes it more hidden. I have gotten groped many times in public situations, and it's always been in crowded areas where I was with a group of people I knew, like on the metro, on a boardwalk near some shops...etc.

There is nothing you can do to completely guarantee not getting groped.

ETA: Oops, misread mugged as groped but it's the same idea.
No it's not the same idea. I've never heard of a group mugging. Well actually I've never heard of a group groping either but I'm not a swinger. I don't hang around people who would stand there in fear as somebody grabs all their wallets or purses and watches em run off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No it's not the same idea. I've never heard of a group mugging. Well actually I've never heard of a group groping either but I'm not a swinger. I don't hang around people who would stand there in fear as somebody grabs all their wallets or purses and watches em run off.
First of all, I'm not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What I meant by groping in a group is you are standing in a crowd of people, with some of the people whom you might know, and a stranger takes an opportunity to grope you, an individual. So the groping itself is individual, but it happens in a group setting, like on a crowded bus or train, or at a concert, etc.

My friend got gang-raped on a main street in broad daylight. Another friend of mine got attacked in the middle of the night in her own house. The former now has 5 dogs and TBI, the latter sleeps with nails by her bedside. Should all women aspire to that level of safety in order to completely avoid being mugged/raped? Or should we maybe, gee, I don't know, hold the rapists/muggers responsible instead?

There are ways to steal from someone's purse without them even realizing they're having their stuff stolen. Ever heard of pick-pocketing? There are tons of techniques pick-pocketers use like distracting the victim's attention by asking for directions while an accomplice steals the bag most likely to have a wallet in it.

Also, it's easy to say you wouldn't stand there in fear, but would you fight if you were mugged or raped at gunpoint?

Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Then go. Go to public places alone and don't have any fear. It's a free country. Show everybody how tough and independent you are. I could care less what you do. You think that because it's wrong to attack people that criminals won't do it for some reason. You also think that criminals won't prey on folks who are alone. You go ahead and believe that.
I don't think that's what any of us are saying. I think some of us are saying, you should be able to go out of your house with the expectation that nothing bad will happen, and with the awareness that something bad could happen. And if you're the victim of a crime, you should be able to report the crime without fear of retribution, and the criminal should be brought to justice - all without being scolded for being targeted as a victim in the first place.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I don't think that's what any of us are saying. I think some of us are saying, you should be able to go out of your house with the expectation that nothing bad will happen, and with the awareness that something bad could happen. And if you're the victim of a crime, you should be able to report the crime without fear of retribution, and the criminal should be brought to justice - all without being scolded for being targeted as a victim in the first place.
And the criminal should be held responsible for committing the crime, not the victim.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Presumably, the victim in this case wasn't a swinger either. She was the victim of a crime. Further, group attacks are very common and have been for ages. You haven't heard of wildings where a gang storms through an area - a park, for example - expressly to wreak havoc - including pickpocketing, muggings, sexual assault? And solo actors doing their crimes under cover of a group settings is also common - especially for pickpocketing and groping - there's a crush of people and you can't even look down to see where anyone's hands are. Has nothing bad and unwarranted or random ever happened to anyone you love? The lack of understanding and empathy is astounding.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
In short, stop telling survivors what to do, what to wear, how to act, where to be, and start telling abusers and rapists to stop abusing and raping.
^^^
This is all that ever needs to be said.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Or should we maybe, gee, I don't know, hold the rapists/muggers responsible instead? ?
Again I will ask WHO is saying the rapist/mugger isn't responsible? Who? I keep asking and nobody will answer yet you folks keep bringing this up in the discussion. NOBODY IS SAYING THAT.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Presumably, the victim in this case wasn't a swinger either. She was the victim of a crime. Further, group attacks are very common and have been for ages. You haven't heard of wildings where a gang storms through an area - a park, for example - expressly to wreak havoc - including pickpocketing, muggings, sexual assault? And solo actors doing their crimes under cover of a group settings is also common - especially for pickpocketing and groping - there's a crush of people and you can't even look down to see where anyone's hands are. Has nothing bad and unwarranted or random ever happened to anyone you love? The lack of understanding and empathy is astounding.
Were not talking about a gang storming a park and beating everybody up. That is called chaos. I simply state that you shouldn't go out wondering around on your own at night especially if your a woman and you folks act like I want to put women in chains. Gimme a break. Do you let your 15yo daughters wonder around at night on their own? Just wondering?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Again I will ask WHO is saying the rapist/mugger isn't responsible? Who? I keep asking and nobody will answer yet you folks keep bringing this up in the discussion. NOBODY IS SAYING THAT.
Can't find where you wrote that, but if you did, then great.

Though I also can't find where anyone said or implied this either.

Quote:
Then go. Go to public places alone and don't have any fear. It's a free country. Show everybody how tough and independent you are. I could care less what you do. You think that because it's wrong to attack people that criminals won't do it for some reason. You also think that criminals won't prey on folks who are alone. You go ahead and believe that.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:

So, you don't have a link affirming that this victim was drinking alone in a bar? Didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies