Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:29 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,419,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Americans may rise to the occasion with events like katrina, but i'm talking about everyday citizens. As far as the bolded is concerned, I believe there are alot more people who will do this and please don't use the usual response of, "they will be boycotted and run out of business if they are stupid enough to do that"
I wouldn't dare respond with that canned response. But anti-discrimination laws aren't viewed as evil or wrong by most Libertarians. We may complain when some of these laws are used in a way that was not intended (and then cry for reformation of that law to better serve its purpose), but we are not for discrimination. Also, the American compassion is fully acknowledged by Libertarians - especially in the every day lives of citizens. My son went to the Illinois Center for Autism that is fully supported by private groups and doesn't receive a penny from the State or Federal governments. They get tax breaks to make sure their burden is so great, but that would occur within a Libertarian government as well. Churches and civic organizations help out citizens every day. Communities do that for one another - that is in mind when some Libertarians say they want to get rid of FEMA and opt out for a State version of that. The taxes that were going to the federal can then go to the state. It is a different way to do the same sort of things and with greater efficiency. And as Katrina has shown us, that the rest of the country is willing to chip in anyways to help another state out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 02:31 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,016,495 times
Quote:
I fundamentally disagree with a society that allows you to discriminate against people because of skin color and use private property rights as a reason. I think one other thing you tin foil on my head libertarians may not realize is that you simply aren't misunderstood and that most people don't like your brand of politics. There are people who actually care about the poor and the sick and don't want to see them die off. There is no way you can explain your ideology that is not some form of survival of the fittest.

Yeah, and libertarians are tired of big gubbermint picking winners and losers! And don't think that just because we want to reign in those abusing the welfare system, that the large corporations are immune, as we want to cut out the bailouts as well, and rewarding rich fat cat banksters for p*** poor business decisions at the expense of the American taxpayer, while they continue to pillage this country of all of it's wealth. And for the record if I own a business, I'm not going to discriminate against you because of skin color. That is downright ignorance IMO! However if you walk into my business, and look like a shady individual, I may keep an eye on you or tell you to leave, as it is my right as a business owner to refuse service. That goes for all people from all walks of life. and all colors.

The bottom line is while some libertarians may in fact be racist, the same can be said about many democrats as well as republicans. If you don't think that dems can be racist, well I've got some swamp land in Arizona to sell you.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,080,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I wouldn't dare respond with that canned response. But anti-discrimination laws aren't viewed as evil or wrong by most Libertarians. We may complain when some of these laws are used in a way that was not intended (and then cry for reformation of that law to better serve its purpose), but we are not for discrimination. Also, the American compassion is fully acknowledged by Libertarians - especially in the every day lives of citizens. My son went to the Illinois Center for Autism that is fully supported by private groups and doesn't receive a penny from the State or Federal governments. They get tax breaks to make sure their burden is so great, but that would occur within a Libertarian government as well. Churches and civic organizations help out citizens every day. Communities do that for one another - that is in mind when some Libertarians say they want to get rid of FEMA and opt out for a State version of that. The taxes that were going to the federal can then go to the state. It is a different way to do the same sort of things and with greater efficiency. And as Katrina has shown us, that the rest of the country is willing to chip in anyways to help another state out.
There are simply not enough organizations and churches that can help/support people without the government helping. That is just lame excuse that you libertarians use to justify ending entitlement spending. I think you people over estimate the goodwill that people will show when its everybody for themselves.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,419,225 times
Quote:
There are simply not enough organizations and churches that can help/support people without the government helping. That is just lame excuse that you libertarians use to justify ending entitlement spending. I think you people over estimate the goodwill that people will show when its everybody for themselves.
And that is where we truly disagree.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yeah, and libertarians are tired of big gubbermint picking winners and losers! And don't think that just because we want to reign in those abusing the welfare system, that the large corporations are immune, as we want to cut out the bailouts as well, and rewarding rich fat cat banksters for p*** poor business decisions at the expense of the American taxpayer, while they continue to pillage this country of all of it's wealth. And for the record if I own a business, I'm not going to discriminate against you because of skin color. That is downright ignorance IMO! However if you walk into my business, and look like a shady individual, I may keep an eye on you or tell you to leave, as it is my right as a business owner to refuse service. That goes for all people from all walks of life. and all colors.

The bottom line is while some libertarians may in fact be racist, the same can be said about many democrats as well as republicans. If you don't think that dems can be racist, well I've got some swamp land in Arizona to sell you.
For the bolded, I believe that will happen alot more than you believe. All I know is this, I haven't been denied serivce from any private organization while under a republican or democrat.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
And that is where we truly disagree.
we'll agree to disagree.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,016,495 times
Quote:
For the bolded, I believe that will happen alot more than you believe. All I know is this, I haven't been denied serivce from any private organization while under a republican or democrat.

It may. Unfortunately the problem you have with political correctness is the fact that we now become the thought police! You cannot force people how to think! It breeds more discontent, more stereotypes, and quite frankly that is why we haven't been able to move on as a country! Now where I draw the line is when it comes to violence against someone because they are different. A group of neo nazis beating up a black person because they're black, or someone because they're gay is just as disgusting as a group of blacks beating up a white person, because they're white. They deserve every bit of punishment that they get! For me personally, I enjoy learning about other people and their cultures, and have always been able to mesh well with most people. I absolutely do not discriminate against anyone because of skin color, religion, or sexual orientation. Never have! I judge the character of the individual. And as far as shady characters, you and I know that they come from all walks of life, and all colors! So please don't paint all libertarians with a broad brush in saying that we're all racist, and not compassionate to other human beings, because that couldn't be further from the truth!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It may. Unfortunately the problem you have with political correctness is the fact that we now become the thought police! You cannot force people how to think! It breeds more discontent, more stereotypes, and quite frankly that is why we haven't been able to move on as a country! Now where I draw the line is when it comes to violence against someone because they are different. A group of neo nazis beating up a black person because they're black, or someone because they're gay is just as disgusting as a group of blacks beating up a white person, because they're white. They deserve every bit of punishment that they get! For me personally, I enjoy learning about other people and their cultures, and have always been able to mesh well with most people. I absolutely do not discriminate against anyone because of skin color, religion, or sexual orientation. Never have! I judge the character of the individual. And as far as shady characters, you and I know that they come from all walks of life, and all colors! So please don't paint all libertarians with a broad brush in saying that we're all racist, and not compassionate to other human beings, because that couldn't be further from the truth!
This is where me and you libertarians are different. You don't have a problem with it, and I do and that is why I dislike libertarianism. Of course none of this matters because there is no chance in hell you'd ever get somebody voted in. As I said before, I don't think you guys are misunderstood, I just think most people don't buy into your politics. You got too much infighting going on with regular conservatives and extremist right now, but your party makes the tea party look sane.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,036,182 times
Quote:
thats the difference between me and libertarians, I actually have compassion.
I think you are confusing compassion, with a government that forcibly takes from
the fruits of one's labor...
How about if we get rid of the IRS tomorrow.

I won't opine about what you do, because I won't be paying for it.
Let's compare acts of charity after one year, or compassion as you call it.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 09-12-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,992,893 times
Quote:
I fundamentally disagree with a society that allows you to discriminate against people because of skin color and use private property rights as a reason. I think one other thing you tin foil on my head libertarians may not realize is that you simply aren't misunderstood and that most people don't like your brand of politics. There are people who actually care about the poor and the sick and don't want to see them die off. There is no way you can explain your ideology that is not some form of survival of the fittest.
And the end game of your philosophy is mass starvation, and a police state. Statists should really look into the law of unintended consequences. You think it's evil that I want to live in a society that's voluntary, that requires the consent of the governed and no man may initiate force against another. You say "private property" like it's some laughable concept. It's the main concept that keeps our society running. You have zero respect for property or man in general yet you hide behind the guise of "compassion" and you go on and on about how you "care" so much. Yet you believe in using the boot heel of Uncle Sam and the gun of the state to force people to allow anyone on their property. You can either have a free society with private property or you can have slavery but you can't have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies