Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should A Candidate's Religion Be A Factor In Voting?
YES....... It Should! 13 27.08%
NO..... It Should Not! 33 68.75%
NOT SURE! 1 2.08%
NO OPINION! 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times

Advertisements

Like the constitution states I think religion should NOT be a factor in electing POTUS or for any Political office.

The No Religious Test Clause of the United States Constitution is found in Article VI, paragraph 3, and states that:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States
No Religious Test Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However these days it seems it has become an issue from Romney's Mormonisn to the FAR Right claiming Obama is a Muslim(which is a lie!).

Frankly an Atheist or Wiccan or fill in the blank should be able to run for Political Office; however I'm not sure that voters would not hold this against a candidate?

18% of voters claim they won't vote for a Mormon for example!

Today, 18 percent of respondents said they would not vote for a Mormon hopeful, compared with 17 percent who responded similarly in 1967. George Romney ran for president in the 1968 election cycle.

Poll: 18% oppose Mormon candidate - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

WHAT SAY YOU...VOTE on the POLL!

The Poll is NOT Public so you may vote anonymously!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 PM

775 posts, read 741,377 times
Religious faith should only be a factor if the candidate intends to use it to legislate politics, in which case he shouldn't be allowed to run at all.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
I do believe anyone at this point who thinks Obama is a Muslim should either be deported or executed for being too stupid to live.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 PM
J24

448 posts, read 864,002 times
Should it be a factor in voting or in running for office? I mean, it *shouldn't* be, but religion IS a big factor to a lot of people. A lot of strong Christians want someone representing the country who also shares their faith, it's just the way it works. I don't see anything wrong with that really, because generally if they share the same faith they're going to share the same values, which are shown in policy.

Aside from that, I don't think someone should not vote for someone simply because they are part of a certain religion. Nor do I think a person's religion should hinder them in any way of succeeding in whatever their goals are.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM

876 posts, read 709,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Like the constitution states I think religion should NOT be a factor in electing POTUS or for any Political office.

The No Religious Test Clause of the United States Constitution is found in Article VI, paragraph 3, and states that:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United State
This just says that you don't have to be a certain religion in order to run. It doesn't say that there shouldn't be a factor in the decision for someone to vote for a candidate. It would be very hard for anyone who has a religious or spiritual belief to seperate those beliefs from their decision.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Religious faith should only be a factor if the candidate intends to use it to legislate politics, in which case he shouldn't be allowed to run at all.
I completely AGREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,231 times
Just because a person belongs to a certain religion doesn't mean that person is religious.
JFK was a Catholic, and Jackie was heard nagging him about going to church, because he didn't want to go.

I'm sure there have been other presidents who'd rather have played golf, or gone fishing, or slept in rather than go to church.

Many non churchgoers and atheists are people of strong moral fiber, so why is one's religious affiliation so important?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
hmm, there wasn't a final option

* YEs its a factor, if the candidate publicly professes to follow a false prophet (aka JOseph Smith)

Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
hmm, there wasn't a final option

* YEs its a factor, if the candidate publicly professes to follow a false prophet (aka JOseph Smith)
All prophets are false. All gods are false. All religions are false

Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Should The President's Religious Beliefs Be A Factor In Voting Decisions; Like Romney Being Mormon?

You mean like, should we decide making a decision between a G*d Damn America candidate from the Rape and Abortion Party, and/or a self described Christian with conservative values?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies