Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

I mean Mormons believe in some pretty kooky stuff, enough said, I wonder if anyone has really considered how someone who truly believes that stuff - how those beliefs will come into play. At least an atheist, one would assume, would comply with a rule of law ultimately based on the Judeo-Christian tradition even if he or she did not believe in it's source, and not try to usher in armageddon, or any other crazy policy to bring in their cosmological armageddon.

Yet even for Evangelicals who vote on issues they see important to their faith would rather vote a Mormon than a Christian. It might be racism, it might be capitalism/greed, who knows. Mormon or not I think Romney is a flake and I can't imagine him winning. I think any Bible-believing Christian should probably consider voting an Atheist before a Mormon, or a Muslim. It might prove a lot less harmful to the country and ultimately the world...

Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
im atheist and sorry but christianity is just as kooky as mormonism. i find it hilarious when religions accuse other religions of being weird. look in the mirror.

and to answer your question, no. plenty of atheists out there with kooky ideas on how to govern. supporting someone based on faith is silly.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
im atheist and sorry but christianity is just as kooky as mormonism. i find it hilarious when religions accuse other religions of being weird. look in the mirror.

and to answer your question, no. plenty of atheists out there with kooky ideas on how to govern. supporting someone based on faith is silly.
You would be cool with the most powerful man in the world believing that some angel named MORONi gave some some named Joseph Smith some divine revelation? lmao

Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You would be cool with the most powerful man in the world believing that some angel named MORONi gave some some named Joseph Smith some divine revelation? lmao
no im an anarchist i dont support anyone for pres. of US, but at the same time don't particularly care who wins the election, doesnt effect me one way or the other.

im just saying that mormonism isnt any more absurd than any other religions.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Having the belief of God, higher power, diety or whatever one believes is no more absurd than not believing in anything. To me it is just more annoying when I get told I'm a moron, idiot, stupid, living in a fantasy world or many of the other things I've been told because I do believe in God. Everyone has the right to believe what they choose but no one has the right to tell someone else what they believe is wrong, stupid, idiotic, etc. etc. etc.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Having the belief of God, higher power, diety or whatever one believes is no more absurd than not believing in anything. To me it is just more annoying when I get told I'm a moron, idiot, stupid, living in a fantasy world or many of the other things I've been told because I do believe in God. Everyone has the right to believe what they choose but no one has the right to tell someone else what they believe is wrong, stupid, idiotic, etc. etc. etc.
Trying to make up some lame story that Obama is a Muslim just to justify voting a Mormon over a Christian is pathetic, IMO. I'd have more respect if they came out and just said why they're really voting for him.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 PM

89 posts, read 149,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you're conflating two very separate things.

No one is trying to take away your right to believe what you want.

That has nothing to do with you being made fun of if you happen to believe in rather elaborate stuff based on zero evidence. I think mockery of the "sacred" is very important, as it has been throughout history.

And non-believers don't believe in "nothing." It's more complicated than that.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Trying to make up some lame story that Obama is a Muslim just to justify voting a Mormon over a Christian is pathetic, IMO. I'd have more respect if they came out and just said why they're really voting for him.
true, muslim is prolly code for "im a racist". but i dont think its practical to for ppl to be honest about racism in that country. the whites are just so scared of being viewed as racist. i dont understand why. maybe one day they will understan racism is not a big deal.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,864 times
I am atheist and I look at politics rather than belief systems and to quote another atheist...

Quote:
no. plenty of atheists out there with kooky ideas on how to govern.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 AM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Quote:
I mean Mormons believe in some pretty kooky stuff, enough said, I wonder if anyone has really considered how someone who truly believes that stuff - how those beliefs will come into play. At least an atheist, one would assume, would comply with a rule of law ultimately based on the Judeo-Christian tradition even if he or she did not believe in it's source, and not try to usher in armageddon, or any other crazy policy to bring in their cosmological armageddon.

Yet even for Evangelicals who vote on issues they see important to their faith would rather vote a Mormon than a Christian. It might be racism, it might be capitalism/greed, who knows. Mormon or not I think Romney is a flake and I can't imagine him winning. I think any Bible-believing Christian should probably consider voting an Atheist before a Mormon, or a Muslim. It might prove a lot less harmful to the country and ultimately the world...
Who gives a rats a$$. If the individual is qualified and bases their decisions on sound economic and ethical principals what does it matter. I could care less if they were purple and worship Ra.. I work with these types of leaders ever day. They base decisions on what is good for the shareholders, company and employees without regard to personnel beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies