Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:22 AM

20,478 posts, read 12,398,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean Mormons believe in some pretty kooky stuff, enough said, I wonder if anyone has really considered how someone who truly believes that stuff - how those beliefs will come into play. At least an atheist, one would assume, would comply with a rule of law ultimately based on the Judeo-Christian tradition even if he or she did not believe in it's source, and not try to usher in armageddon, or any other crazy policy to bring in their cosmological armageddon.

Yet even for Evangelicals who vote on issues they see important to their faith would rather vote a Mormon than a Christian. It might be racism, it might be capitalism/greed, who knows. Mormon or not I think Romney is a flake and I can't imagine him winning. I think any Bible-believing Christian should probably consider voting an Atheist before a Mormon, or a Muslim. It might prove a lot less harmful to the country and ultimately the world...

So what you are saying is that you dont like Romney no matter what his religion is and you are trying to come up with an argument to get Romney voters to not vote for him.

How about this. Shouldnt we not vote for people who like peanutbutter? I mean some people are alergic so really anyone running for president should be sensitive.

good grief.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM

990 posts, read 940,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I say it is, and here's why. Any religion who rules lifestyle, like the Mormons and Jews do, should not be President ever! We must retain the separate state of religion and politics. Hard to do when your religion always comes first. Especially those that preach their do turn at churck on Sundy, or whatever.
Huh?

So Jews "rule lifestyle"?

What does that mean?

Aren't all religious wackadoos the same? Don't they all let their religion dictate their lives?
Didn't Bush say he spoke to god? Didn't Carter allow religion to run his life? Wasn't Kennedy a devout Cathollic? Wasn't Nixon a Quaker?

How about nutters like Michele Bachmann, Christine O'Donnell or Sarah Palin?

To me, overt religiousity is something which automatically makes me say "I won't vote for that person" no matter which cult they belong to.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You would be cool with the most powerful man in the world believing that some angel named MORONi gave some some named Joseph Smith some divine revelation? lmao
Are you cool with the most powerful man in the world believing that a Middle-eastern virgin gave birth to God? LMAO.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I accept what is. Mormon guys killed people. The fact that the church doesn't appove of them changes nothing. It's the same thing Christians say when one of their own goes ape****. It's the same thing everyone says when one of their own goes ape****. Doesn't change the fact that it was done in the name of god based on their religious beliefs and spiritual upbringing. IE: Mormons kill people like everyone else. There is no way to deny that so don't even try.
So what we need to be doing is looking for someone to be our President who belongs to a religion that has a 100% perfect history. No one who was ever even born to parents who were members of that religion may ever have committed murder, rape or anything else. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,942,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
But no one says anything when the evangelical preachers spit vemon in every which way attacking everyone from blacks to muslims, but considering who his population was I can understand where he was coming from.
This may be true, but when did two wrongs suddenly start making a right?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,253,889 times
Default by the grace of God an athiest going in would be a convert on the way out

Any athiest would be converted during a 4 year tenure as a US president and be thanking God evry chance he got. god ahs helped Obama and obama has taken the credit that belongs to God.

Under Obama two terrorist bombs have been successfully exploded.....fortunately by the grace of God both bombs were duds. As a result, Obama talking heads all claim Obama has kept us safe here in the good old USA.

Any 'ist' is preferable to re-electing a socio-communist for a 2nd term.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,941,524 times
Obviously an athiest would be ideal for leadership but America has way too many ignorant Christians for that. Mormons don't want black clergy, believe they get a planet when they die and have weird secret ceremonies, hardly the type of people who should be put in leadership positions.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,850,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Barack Obama believes in "Black Liberation Theology," and the theology of Louis Farrakhan of The Nation of Islam. One would have to agree, that is "some pretty kooky stuff." He is not a Christian.

As for Mitt Romney, he is an honorable and trustworthy man; and the beliefs of Mormons are far closer to Christian beliefs than whatever it is that Barack Obama believes.

Your last statement is interesting, because Obama attended a Muslim school in Kenya as a child, and most likely shares much with Islam. In fact he has said something to the effect that if "things get ugly, I will stand with the Muslims."
Black Liberation Theology is not the theology of Louis Farrakhan and the NOI. It is a Christian theology.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I say it is, and here's why. Any religion who rules lifestyle, like the Mormons and Jews do, should not be President ever! We must retain the separate state of religion and politics. Hard to do when your religion always comes first. Especially those that preach their do turn at churck on Sundy, or whatever.
There isn't a religion our there that doesn't impact, or even rule, it's followers' lifestyle. Almost every religion demands of its followers that the religion come before secular concerns. So unless you are proposing that only atheists to allowed to have leadership roles in this country, touting that someone shouldn't be elected because they are Mormon or Jewish is discriminatory. I don't think this country will go for only allowing atheists to have leadership positions - kind of goes against that separation of church and state thing.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,850,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
\There is a place and time for everything under the heavens... The pulpit on sunday morning is neither. I have no axe to grind with reverend wright. I do believe however that it was inappropriate for any minister in the execution of a sermon.
Rev. Wright from his "Confusing God and Government" sermon, shortly after the part everyone quotes.

“Tell your neighbor he’s (going to) help us one last time. Turn back and say forgive him for the God Damn, that’s in the Bible though. Blessings and curses is in the Bible. It’s in the Bible."

I believe Rev. Wright agrees that he shouldn't have phrased it the way he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.