Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That maybe so, but in rev wright's defense what he said had nothing to do with religion and had more to do with this country's treatment of various groups of disfranchished people.
\There is a place and time for everything under the heavens... The pulpit on sunday morning is neither. I have no axe to grind with reverend wright. I do believe however that it was inappropriate for any minister in the execution of a sermon.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
\There is a place and time for everything under the heavens... The pulpit on sunday morning is neither. I have no axe to grind with reverend wright. I do believe however that it was inappropriate for any minister in the execution of a sermon.
But no one says anything when the evangelical preachers spit vemon in every which way attacking everyone from blacks to muslims, but considering who his population was I can understand where he was coming from.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Default Consider Barack Obama's "religion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I mean Mormons believe in some pretty kooky stuff, enough said, I wonder if anyone has really considered how someone who truly believes that stuff - how those beliefs will come into play. At least an atheist, one would assume, would comply with a rule of law ultimately based on the Judeo-Christian tradition even if he or she did not believe in it's source, and not try to usher in armageddon, or any other crazy policy to bring in their cosmological armageddon.

Yet even for Evangelicals who vote on issues they see important to their faith would rather vote a Mormon than a Christian. It might be racism, it might be capitalism/greed, who knows. Mormon or not I think Romney is a flake and I can't imagine him winning. I think any Bible-believing Christian should probably consider voting an Atheist before a Mormon, or a Muslim. It might prove a lot less harmful to the country and ultimately the world...
Barack Obama believes in "Black Liberation Theology," and the theology of Louis Farrakhan of The Nation of Islam. One would have to agree, that is "some pretty kooky stuff." He is not a Christian.

As for Mitt Romney, he is an honorable and trustworthy man; and the beliefs of Mormons are far closer to Christian beliefs than whatever it is that Barack Obama believes.

Your last statement is interesting, because Obama attended a Muslim school in Kenya as a child, and most likely shares much with Islam. In fact he has said something to the effect that if "things get ugly, I will stand with the Muslims."

Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Barack Obama believes in "Black Liberation Theology," and the theology of Louis Farrakhan of The Nation of Islam. One would have to agree, that is "some pretty kooky stuff." He is not a Christian.

Which is? You clueless kill me, first you complain that blacks are mooching off of the government and than when they try to get their crap together by lifting on another up, you critizing them because you don't like what they are saying

As for Mitt Romney, he is an honorable and trustworthy man; and the beliefs of Mormons are far closer to Christian beliefs than whatever it is that Barack Obama believes.

Buying companies and putting people out of work is honorable? Cutting the safety net right under people when the economy is tanking? Looking down and demeaning almost half the population because they need help from the government, boy if these are honorable traits I hate to see what you consider to be decietful

Your last statement is interesting, because Obama attended a Muslim school in Kenya as a child, and most likely shares much with Islam. In fact he has said something to the effect that if "things get ugly, I will stand with the Muslims."

Meaning what? I went to a catholic school as a child, I guess now that I'm an adult and can think on my own I'm a catholic according to your logic. "Something to the effect"? according to who hannity?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
Quote:
I mean Mormons believe in some pretty kooky stuff, enough said, I wonder if anyone has really considered how someone who truly believes that stuff - how those beliefs will come into play. At least an atheist, one would assume, would comply with a rule of law ultimately based on the Judeo-Christian tradition even if he or she did not believe in it's source, and not try to usher in armageddon, or any other crazy policy to bring in their cosmological armageddon.

Yet even for Evangelicals who vote on issues they see important to their faith would rather vote a Mormon than a Christian. It might be racism, it might be capitalism/greed, who knows. Mormon or not I think Romney is a flake and I can't imagine him winning. I think any Bible-believing Christian should probably consider voting an Atheist before a Mormon, or a Muslim. It might prove a lot less harmful to the country and ultimately the world...

Former Mormon: Romney's Mormonism Will Dominate Presidency - YouTube

Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
no im an anarchist i dont support anyone for pres. of US, but at the same time don't particularly care who wins the election, doesnt effect me one way or the other.

im just saying that mormonism isnt any more absurd than any other religions.
I say it is, and here's why. Any religion who rules lifestyle, like the Mormons and Jews do, should not be President ever! We must retain the separate state of religion and politics. Hard to do when your religion always comes first. Especially those that preach their do turn at churck on Sundy, or whatever.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove28 View Post
I think you're conflating two very separate things.

No one is trying to take away your right to believe what you want.

That has nothing to do with you being made fun of if you happen to believe in rather elaborate stuff based on zero evidence. I think mockery of the "sacred" is very important, as it has been throughout history.

And non-believers don't believe in "nothing." It's more complicated than that.

This is my point exactly, what do you think gives you the right to say this to me after reading a post where I stated I believe in God?

Also, your statement is exactly how I discovered there is no use in trying to have even a simple discussion with someone who knows it all and has a mind like a steel trap that is closed.

I wish you everything you deserve in your lifetime.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Lightbulb I'm a Muslim...no I'm a Christian....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some people do think Obama is a Muslim. There is no real reason to, it's just the "worst" thing they can think to say about him. Others don't think he is but say it anyway to get peoples attention, ie: Madonna. How the hell would she know? Does she have secret info that nobody else does? I don't think so.
So you haven't seen the several interviews Obama has given were he's states he is a Muslim only to correct himself? Actually in one interview someone had to tell him he was a Christian before he corrected himself.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:

Although the President's position is pretty much an open book, what a person in office believes in religion wise is no one's concern but his own. Politics and religion just don't mix for the every day person so why would anyone in office be any different?

The biggest mistake people are making with regard to this election or any election for that matter is that they expect EVERYONE to believe as they do about everything that is an issue. Not gonna happen. More importantly than the religion....the Good Lord gave us all brains to think with and make proper decisions with. Wether of not we use that God Given gift properly is totally up to us and not to anyone from any other faith, creed or color to determine FOR us. Its called "thinking it through" and making the right choices.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
It's kind of funny and pathetic Obama supporters are getting. When your guy is down and failing (both as any kind of leader and in the polls), first try attacking the opponents credentials or experience. When that fails, try to play to the religious biggots. Truely sad and pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies