Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times

Advertisements

The obsession with earning an education and working extremely hard is backfiring on Koreans.

There should be an open door policy at the U.S. border for Koreans so they can bring that work ethic and intelligence over here.

There are no downsides to this.

Skip College Is Top Advice for World-Beating Koreans: Jobs - Bloomberg

Quote:
Kim Hye Min boasts a 4.0 grade- point average at one of South Korea’s top colleges, a perfect score in English proficiency and internships at Samsung Card Co. (029780) and AT Kearney Inc. All of her 20 job applications were rejected.

“A degree from a good university used to guarantee a spot at least at a top 10 company, but that was when a college degree actually meant something,” Kim, 25, said on Aug. 28, as she walked to a Chinese lesson she’s taking to boost her chance of joining one of the nation’s most prestigious employers. “I studied hard and did everything right, but there are too many of us who did.”

With almost three out of four high school students going to college in an effort to get a top-paying job in one of the leading industrial groups, known as chaebols, South Korea is being flooded with more college graduates than it needs. Its 30 biggest companies hired 260,000 of them last year, leaving another 60,000 to swell the youth unemployment rate to 6.4 percent in August, more than twice the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Same sad story all over the world. More people than jobs and all over educated now.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
Yep. This is happening all over the 1st and 2nd world nations.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Yep. This is happening all over the 1st and 2nd world nations.
Actually the opposite is happening in America.

That is why we need more "Korean-style" people to immigrate to the U.S.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
I guess they should sit home and have babies with a series of suitors and collect welfare. Much better.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Actually the opposite is happening in America.

That is why we need more "Korean-style" people to immigrate to the U.S.
I don't think so. I think the same has been happening here for quite a while. We get all educated so we can get better jobs (and in some cases, not have to work so hard - labor wise), and we wanted better for our kids so they wouldn't have to do those kinds of jobs. For those who don't want to go to college, they still demand to be paid as if they did. Now, we wonder why we end up having to outsource or have an illegal immigration problem. We need those illegals just to pick our crops (Alabama clearly shows this) and we need cheap labor to make things that we can afford. I love the Korean work ethic, but it will back fire on them as it has on us in due time. There must be a balance found.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Youth unemployment of 6.4% unemployment is not high. Youth unemployment in the US is 15%, in European countries it is 20-30% and in Greece and Spain it is over 50%.

Still 3 out of 4 going to college is too many.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
I don't think so. I think the same has been happening here for quite a while. We get all educated so we can get better jobs (and in some cases, not have to work so hard - labor wise), and we wanted better for our kids so they wouldn't have to do those kinds of jobs. For those who don't want to go to college, they still demand to be paid as if they did. Now, we wonder why we end up having to outsource or have an illegal immigration problem. We need those illegals just to pick our crops (Alabama clearly shows this) and we need cheap labor to make things that we can afford. I love the Korean work ethic, but it will back fire on them as it has on us in due time. There must be a balance found.
Actually in America we have the opposite problem. Too few people are taking courses in medicine and engineering. Hence they earn a lot more.

Yes a lot of people take college, but they are studying the liberal arts. However liberal arts give you no skills, its all about status. When too many take liberal arts, then it will be hard to find work for liberal art graduates.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Actually in America we have the opposite problem. Too few people are taking courses in medicine and engineering. Hence they earn a lot more.

Yes a lot of people take college, but they are studying the liberal arts. However liberal arts give you no skills, its all about status. When too many take liberal arts, then it will be hard to find work for liberal art graduates.
Good point. You are right - not enough in certain areas and those areas end up being filled by doctors from other countries and they become citizens.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
I agree with this.

Even in regards to liberal arts degrees I think you have a point because in most places in this city they want you to have at least a BA to even be a receptionist making $10 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies