Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
When people say things like this it makes it hard to have a semi-intelligent discussion.
I've never asked this question because I know I won't get a rational response, but whats exactly does obama gain from trying to destroy this country? Is he going to become some billionaire, does he have some plan to move to another country once he is done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
If Obama wins this country is doomed. No President was ever elected at 8% unemployment. People who vote for him are the people we have to worry about.
You're technically right -- unemployment was 17% in 1936 when FDR was re-elected, and 15% in 1940 when he was re-elected again. And neither 17% nor 15% are 8%. But I suspect that what you meant (wrongly) was that no President with an unployment rate as high as 8% has ever been re-elected.

But you miss the point that there isn't much of a correlation between the re-election rate of Presidents and the unemployment rate.

On the Maddeningly Inexact Relationship Between Unemployment and Re-Election - NYTimes.com

Perhaps the lesson you might take away from 1936 and 1940 is that when a President comes into office facing an economic fiasco of epic proportions handed to him by his predecessor, the electorate cuts him a lot of slack. But since this is a lesson that is undoubtedly displeasing to you, you are probably determined to disregard it.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
With the way GOP seems to be going, you are going to have a much bigger problem with the people who vote obama in the future. The very idea that Obama can win with less than 40% of the white vote, should be troubling to conservatives.
Well, as was recently noted:
Quote:
“The demographics race we’re losing badly,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.). “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”
As Republican convention emphasizes diversity, racial incidents intrude - The Washington Post

Which is why:
Quote:
To squeak out a majority, Mitt Romney probably needs to win at least 61 percent of the white vote — a figure exceeding what George H.W. Bush commanded over Michael Dukakis in 1988. The Republican strategist told Brownstein, “This is the last time anyone will try to do this” — “this” being a near total reliance on white votes to win a presidential election.
2012 or Never for GOP

Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
When people say things like this it makes it hard to have a semi-intelligent discussion.
You can't handle the truth..obama is an evil man who is doing his best to destroy this country. He is playing for the other team. Four more years of him and America will be a communist country...
He has to go, NOW..
He just caused more American lives by not doing his job,,,

Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Quote:
If Obama wins, will Republicans be willing to work with him, or will they try to prove their point for 4 more years and work against him? I don't know if this country can handle 4 more years of political bickering and lack of progress like we've had.
If the republicans in congress both have the votes to, and decide to prevent any of Obama's priorities, they will be voted out in 2014. . . .so it's really only two years. . . . ..

I have a feeling that Obama will win, and even if Republicans maintain a majority in the house, it will be a smaller one, and hopefully one that can / will not block even Republican ideas being promoted by Obama.

I guess we'll be finding out in a couple of months. . . ..

Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
If Obama wins, will Republicans be willing to work with him, or will they try to prove their point for 4 more years and work against him? I don't know if this country can handle 4 more years of political bickering and lack of progress like we've had.
They will work against him. And there's nothing wrong with that. Separation of powers, don't like it? Move.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I've never asked this question because I know I won't get a rational response, but whats exactly does obama gain from trying to destroy this country? Is he going to become some billionaire, does he have some plan to move to another country once he is done?
Any rational person knows he stands to gain nothing and lose everything if his actions destroy the country. It does seem that the rich and "powerful" are so full of themselves that there is no end of lies they are willing to tell about the president, in order to accumulate even more wealth and power.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
With the way GOP seems to be going, you are going to have a much bigger problem with the people who vote obama in the future. The very idea that Obama can win with less than 40% of the white vote, should be troubling to conservatives.

and people wonder why "racism" is being cited as a major reason for hate against President Obama

Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Good question. I've thought the same thing. That destroying the country thing just doesn't make sense.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
If Obama wins that will signal an end to the people's patience with the House and Senate obstructionism and the Republicans will fall into line. (The powers that be in the party aren't stupid. The obstructionists will be reigned in.) Obama's re-election will also bring with him a few more Democrats on his coattail changing the numbers in the House and Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies