Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,031,917 times

Advertisements

Russiaonline,

All that and you did not even come close to responding to my question. I am well aware of where the limits to free speech lie. There are bounds, and it is not a surprise to me to see references to those bounds posted in a thread. You speak as though you think you are telling me something I did not already know.

Here is something you should consider: what is the intent of the video? Is it to express an opinion or share perceived flaws with the religion of Islam? If so, our government has an obligation to protect it. You cannot censor speech in this country simply because you do not like it. Now some will consider it fighting words. That is why intent becomes important.

I go back to my personal example, and question I posed (that you notably chose not to answer). We are in a room and you express an opinion. Let's say that your opinion is that Jesus engaged in fornication. This goes against my beliefs so I become enraged and beat you to a pulp. Once again, I ask you a simple question that requires a simple answer. Whose fault is it? Your fault or mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 AM

684 posts, read 826,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I don't think it will matter whether or not we turn these people over. And of course we won't.

However, if they are convicted in a court in another country, exactly what is going to stop anyone from that country from coming over here to carry out any "sentence" and then slip quietly away? A conviction will certainly open the door for Egyptian citizens or maybe any Muslim to feel "free" to deal with the offenders. I would definitely NOT want to be in their shoes now, especially the most well known, Terry Jones. I'm thinking they may get far more than they bargained for with that "movie."
They feel free to do that, anyway.

Egypt can do what it wishes. It can march a big effigy of the creator of that film down the street, chanting 'death to America' if they wish. It's their country, their rules. The attack on the embassy was an invasion of sovereign soil.

Russiaonline - You aren't going to convince anyone. The cornerstone of effective Democracy is free speech. Without it, one cannot speak out against Tyranny of any sort. Yes, the people who made that video are forcing a confrontation. But that confrontation has been coming a long time.

I just pray that this particular confrontation can be resolved without more bloodshed. I think it's a naive hope, but I will cling to it a while longer.

Culturally, freedom of speech is one of the west's most sacred responsibilities and rights. This is clashing with what they consider sacred. Someone has to give, and that 'someone' cannot be people who support free speech.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,071,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
All that and you did not even come close to responding to my question.
And why do you think I posted a quote about fighting words? The one, who kicked ass, may be declared innocent under certain circumstances.

Quote:
Here is something you should consider: what is the intent of the video?
Only a formal investigation may find that out.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,420,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
They feel free to do that, anyway.

Egypt can do what it wishes. It can march a big effigy of the creator of that film down the street, chanting 'death to America' if they wish. It's their country, their rules. The attack on the embassy was an invasion of sovereign soil.
I know.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Russiaonline - You aren't going to convince anyone. The cornerstone of effective Democracy is free speech. Without it, one cannot speak out against Tyranny of any sort.
I understand that for some people it became a religion. But not for all Americans.

Quote:
Culturally, freedom of speech is one of the west's most sacred responsibilities and rights.
Don't say that American pseudo-religion is Western - Europe doesn't put itself as a "free (to kill) land"

Quote:
This is clashing with what they consider sacred. Someone has to give, and that 'someone' cannot be people who support free speech.
Than you'll be dying, muttering your "free speech" mantra. That looks insane to me. Not too different than outrageous extremist muslim behaviour. Philosophically speaking, even worse, because they protect from aggression, while you defend your right to aggression.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 AM

6,268 posts, read 5,084,935 times
Interesting article in the Washington Post addressing censorship-by-riot:

Charles Lane: There’s no place for censorship-by-riot - The Washington Post

Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Interesting article in the Washington Post addressing censorship-by-riot:

Charles Lane: There’s no place for censorship-by-riot - The Washington Post
I failed to see any kind of proof, why free speech should be protected no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies