Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times

Advertisements

As much as America can't stand people like those who made the short film, it will be a cold day in hell before we hand them over to these mindless apes. Religion takes a back seat to freedom of speech ALWAYS. If all the religions don't want to be "blasphemed" - then stop doing it to others and just whine when your sorry excuse for a prophet, priest, pope, or whatever is criticized.

Egypt to try US citizen, seven others over anti-Islam video - The Hill's Global Affairs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,476,777 times
Spray them with PIG BLOOD!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Iran is threatening to sue Obama over some UN blasphemy resolution too. The muslims are going nuts. Just another day in the middle east.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Iran is threatening to sue Obama over some UN blasphemy resolution too. The muslims are going nuts. Just another day in the middle east.
Well let the UN sue Iran for always calling for the annihilation of Israel.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,096 times
Russian constitution prohibits religion to have any place in the state affairs, and people are not too fond of Islam, to say the least. Yet, this video is in process of being declared extremist (just like Nazi propaganda). If court agrees, and Google doesn't remove it, then Russian ISPs may ban access to youtube, just in case. That's a very serious matter.

If those people were in Russia, they'd be in trouble.

The trailer to this film is certainly an attempt of hatred propaganda, that may incite violance. There is zero artistic value.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well let the UN sue Iran for always calling for the annihilation of Israel.
He never actually did that. The media intentionally mis-translated his words. However, if Israel wants war with Iran, which they do, along with Sunni Saudi Arabia, Iran will fight back with everything they've got. WWIII on the horizon.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post

The trailer to this film is certainly an attempt of hatred propaganda, that may incite violance. There is zero artistic value.
And there's the key. It may incite violence. Why? Because these people react to any offense with violence because it gets reactions, and people give in to violence. So by saying that speech should be inhibited because it may incite violence is a frightening proposition, as it shows that if anyone wants to silence any dissenters, just be violent. Don't like what group A says? Get violent. Then they can have their speech limited and voila' you've silenced the opposition.

So justifying the limiting of free speech, one of the single most sacred rights a person can have, simply because of how some react to that speech, is unacceptable. Matter of fact, the reason speech has to be protected is because of the very way some may react. If all speech was non-controversial, safe, and offended no one, there would be no need to protect it. By protecting it, you acknowledge that controversial, thought-provoking, and yes even offending, speech can be put forth. And free speech promotes progress, information, education, and sometimes it does promote negative change. But you have to take the good with the bad, for the alternative is even worse.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Quote:
There is zero artistic value.
I agree with this, but I've seen much worse American TV shows. Screw the delicate sensibilities of extremists.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So justifying the limiting of free speech, one of the single most sacred rights a person can have, simply because of how some react to that speech, is unacceptable.
Imagine this:

After watching such videos, and reading similar texts, skinheads or similar freaks decide that muslim are the greatest evil on Earth, and kill 100 of them. Muslim extremists kill 100 non-muslims in retaliation... Snowball effect, and muslim vanish, taking many millions of non-muslims with them...

Only because you protected something that you call free speech...

Quote:
If all speech was non-controversial, safe, and offended no one, there would be no need to protect it.
If we were angels, we would live in heaven...

Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Imagine this:

After watching such videos, and reading similar texts, skinheads or similar freaks decide that muslim are the greatest evil on Earth, and kill 100 of them. Muslim extremists kill 100 non-muslims in retaliation... Snowball effect, and muslim vanish, taking many millions of non-muslims with them...

Only because you protected something that you call free speech...
With freedom comes responsibility. In this case, responsibility to acknowledge the legitimacy of someone else's point of view. When I hear something I don't like I simply shrug it off as a difference of opinion with another person. I am a Christian, and God and Jesus are constantly mocked and lampooned in our culture today. I don't respond by torching my neighborhood. I acknowledge that not everyone shares my beliefs and that is their prerogative. I would rather live in a country where someone is free to say what he or she pleases, even if I find it deplorable, than to live in a place that restricts free speech and punishes those who attempt to exercise it.

The fact that authorities even questioned the film maker is an embarrassment to this country. Our response should have been to echo that which the Supremem Court has time and time again ruled: speech is protected by the Constitution, even when it is thought to be distasteful by others. You start limiting it because someone is offended and we all may as well just stay home every day.

If people want to start wars to limit our free speech, fine. But be advised: This country has gone to war to PRESERVE the right of its people to speak freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies