Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 PM

387 posts, read 1,046,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Where is the outrage over Obama's Swiss account?
OK, I'm not a liberal, and I don't have a problem with people diversifying investments outside the US. I thought the only issue is that the Swiss/Cayman accounts are secretive and rely on the owner to report the income to the IRS. Since Yahoo news knows about Obama's accounts, I assume that the IRS does too. I think the issue with Romney lies in whether or not he reported the income, yes? But since he has stoutly refused to issue past tax returns we'll never know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not illegal to have investments outside the US. It's just illegal to not list the investments and pay US taxes on the income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
No, his house is in the link you just posted. The pretty one. The tax records for the property PIN you originally posted show an ugly 1,440 square foot two story narrow brick building worth only $391,000 located at 5046 S Greenwood Ave. The record doesn't list the owner, just the mailing address for the tax bill.

Now I think I may see the reason for the tax discrepancy...if that was the original building on the lot assessed at 391K, and the Obamas tore down that building and built a new house on the lot, perhaps the assessment hasn't been updated to reflect that. Where I live they do assessments every 10 years. If you're that concerned, I'm sure you can call the Cook county property tax assessor and ask why the property record is not up to date.

What do you think about the Palins not reporting that a vacation cabin had been built on land they owned so that they were underpaying their property taxes? Were you upset about that too? Because, you know, the Obama's house is well known and in a popular area of Chicago. The Palin cabin was out in the middle of nowhere and the assessor had to rely on the honesty of property owners to report improvements. Which, of course, they did not.
Palin isn't the President.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
OK, I'm not a liberal, and I don't have a problem with people diversifying investments outside the US. I thought the only issue is that the Swiss/Cayman accounts are secretive and rely on the owner to report the income to the IRS. Since Yahoo news knows about Obama's accounts, I assume that the IRS does too. I think the issue with Romney lies in whether or not he reported the income, yes? But since he has stoutly refused to issue past tax returns we'll never know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not illegal to have investments outside the US. It's just illegal to not list the investments and pay US taxes on the income.
There is nothing illegal about foreign accounts. You are correct - the issue is disclosure and payment of taxes.

The liberals made a huge issue of Romney's disclosed accounts; they even referred to him as unpatriotic. Some of us argued that they weren't secret accounts if they were disclosed. They want to see his returns to see if there are any secret accounts? If they are secret - well, you understand.

Assume he releases the returns - there are likely foreign accounts. Just like Obama and Pelosi and Reid according to the disclosure statements. As long as the tax was paid, who cares? And if they are disclosed, well the tax is paid.

Since the IRS hasn't thrown Romney in jail, I assume he's compliant with all tax laws.

Romney doesn't even prepare his own taxes. He has one of the largest firms in the country preparing them. I doubt he even knows what they are doing. He has a blind trust. He shows up on tax day and signs his name fifty times.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Palin isn't the President.
Well, there was a time where a lot of people wanted her to run for President, and I do see your point. My point was that there's no way for Obama to hide the value of his property. If you're suggesting that he paid off the assessor to keep his taxes low, ask yourself why he would take that risk, when anyone in the US can view the property records online? That would be a stupid risk for little payoff. Like I said, call the assessor's office on Monday if you're troubled by the discrepancy.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,156,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is Obama's address. Apparently, the property is not held in his name.

Map of Barack Obama's Chicago Home
Apparently he used an alias first name and his step-fathers last name when in College. I wonder if he files two different tax returns?

Last edited by noihoforus; 09-22-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
He has a blind trust.
Again, not being a rich person, I don't get this. How can you give up control of so much money and not know how it's being invested?

I think the reason people suspect Romney is hiding something is because he has been less than forthcoming when it is pretty much standard procedure for Presidential candidates to release at least several years worth of full tax returns. It just gives the appearance of hiding something. It makes people suspicious. I'm sure everything is legally on the up and up or the IRS would have been all over his ass. What it feels like is that ultra rich people (Romney being representative in this case), pay so little tax due to loopholes and tax code provisions, that it would **** all of us off if we really knew the details, so they're keeping us in the dark here.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I don't have a problem with him deferring tax. I did the same thing. I have a problem with liberals screaming about Romney's returns when Obama does the exact the same. Where is the outrage over Obama's Swiss account?
This is the epitomy of liberal/democrat. Frankly, they're way too stupid to have a clue how stupid they are.

That's why people with brains laugh at them. And they still don't get it.

They would be hilarious if they weren't so dangerous. They're too stupid to know the danger includes them and their families.

Did I say they're stupid?

Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Maybe he is lying on his returns because he would have to have his money under a mattress not to make at least 1 point in a year...

I want to see Reid and Pelosi's returns now..
I heard they haven't filed returns in 25 years. I also heard they dismember and eat babies and small children.

Spread the word.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
This is the epitomy of liberal/democrat. Frankly, they're way too stupid to have a clue how stupid they are.

That's why people with brains laugh at them. And they still don't get it.

They would be hilarious if they weren't so dangerous. They're too stupid to know the danger includes them and their families.

Did I say they're stupid?
The Romney tax thread will die before they comment on Obama having a Swiss bank account.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
What do you think about the Palins not reporting that a vacation cabin had been built on land they owned so that they were underpaying their property taxes?
Was it a $2 million cabin? Did Palin owe an extra $25,000 annual property tax on it? I doubt it.
Quote:
The Palin cabin was out in the middle of nowhere and the assessor had to rely on the honesty of property owners to report improvements. Which, of course, they did not.
Actually, neither did many of their neighbors...
Quote:
"Dave Dunivan, assessor for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough... the borough learns of new structures in remote areas when neighbors report them. Dunivan said no one has called the borough on the Palin lots, among many in the region to add structures, the flyover survey found."
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/node/25597
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies