Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If that is the case then Obama and his economic team should have realized that and not based his jobs recovery plan on green jobs. You are making my case for me thanks.
We all make mistakes. I'm not entirely sure that Obama did base his entire jobs recovery plan on green jobs.

Maybe these green jobs will start to manifest sooner than five years. These companies in bankruptcy, if they filed Chapter 11, and are in reorganization, are still operating, and they still have a good chance at success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And THIS makes you happy Why? So you can use it to bash Obama? The world NEEDS alternative energy. Maybe you are too old to be concerned, but there are lots of people in their 20s and 30s who definitely are concerned.
Maybe you are too old to be concerned? Shut it kid. There are plenty of people older than their 20s and 30s who care about finding alternative energy.

They care that we have natural resources here at home that we are not allowed to retrieve. They care that we have people in this country looking for jobs and if we could get the go-ahead to pull our own resources out of our own ground, that it would provide decent paying jobs for people who need to feed their families. They care that if we provided for our own energy we could stop sending money overseas to people and regimes who hate us and who want to kill us.

They care about the environment. They all have children and grandchildren and none of them want to leave the world in a mess. They all want alternative energies - clean, efficient, functional, cost efficient.

If they could buy a vehicle that didn't look like it came out of the Minority Report, if it didn't cost as much as the last house they bought, if it didn't fit into the bed of a regular sized pick up truck, if it ran for more than a few miles before having to turn it over to gas, if it could be refueled or rebooted or re-whatever-makes-it-work conveniently they'd be all over it.

They care about money we don't have being handed over (with no accountability) by the government to companies who can't make it work. They care about money we don't have being handed over to CEO's of so-called green companies who go belly up - but not before making the CEO's very rich and not before those same CEO's contribute to the Obama campaign.

The government should not be giving our money to these companies. Companies should do what all good companies do - they research and develop using money contributed by rich entrepeneurs who are willing to take the risk. The free market can, should and does dictate success and failure. Crappy product at crappy price = no buyers. Good product at good price = risk takers make a bunch of money and society benefits from the product.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
I never stated it was good news...I just hope the idiots that voted for the moron last time..won't make the same mistake twice!!!
Oh. You want them to vote for someone who was a corporate raider, and destroyed sick businesses by taking their assets and kicking them to the curb? With ONE exception, Staples, where employees barely make a living on their salaries. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. And outsourcing....you want the CHIEF OF OUTSOURCING to be President. LOL

Hopefully people will be able to discern the folly of your position. The economy is recovering and we should definitely keep Obama in office to continue on that recovery. Who would really trust a corporate raider to have concerns for the "little people"?

Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
The reality is that solar power installations here and elsewhere have been steadily climbing for years. For example, the Solar Energy Industries Association recently reported a 120% increase in PV installations during the first half of 2012 in the Americas. And very little of that includes the plethora of utility-scale projects currently underway, which really is where the solar market's future lies (as opposed to residential and commercial installations).

Department of Energy data isn't as current, but does show consistent increases in solar cell/module shipments and company formation through 2010: "Total shipments of PV modules in 2010 more than doubled compared to total module shipments in 2009, rising from nearly 1.2 peak gigawatts (GWdc1 peak) to more than 2.6 peak gigawatts... In 2010, there were 112 active PV manufacturers, importers and exporters that shipped PV cells and modules. This marks an increase of nearly 11% from the 101 companies doing business in 2009."

In other words, this is not a "make-believe market."

Solyndra did fail, but not because it believed in fictional customers. Instead, the two primary reasons were much more specific to Solyndra itself.

It is obvious now that the U.S. Department of Energy made a huge mistake in giving Solyndra a $535 million loan guarantee. But that mistake was in not accurately assessing Solyndra's ability to succeed in an increasingly-competitive market, not in believing that the market existed in the first place.
Paul Ryan's Solyndra fantasy - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blog Term Sheet

Old 09-22-2012, 04:59 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
I never stated it was good news...I just hope the idiots that voted for the moron last time..won't make the same mistake twice!!!
At least he tried to encourage a green policy. I feel better about my tax money going to sustainable power that failed, than wars that failed.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
When the subsidy dries up, they cannot keep their doors open.

They would have to subsidize it for life, to become mainstream, but mainstream is broke, because of the wasted tax dollars to subsidize industries, that only a few want and can afford.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 PM

[quote=KUchief25;26207314]
Quote:

Really? Then why is unemployment still so high? Obama promised if the stimulus was passed (ya know all those green jobs) unemplyment wouldn't go above 8%. I don't think it's been below since the stimulus was passed.

Only green we need is nuclear. The rest are worthless power across the country.
It takes time. I don't remember Obama making a PROMISE that unemployment wouldn't go above 8% but I could be wrong. And if we sit back and ignore the future for green energy, other countries will not. Do we want to be the leader in this industry, or just another follower?

Nuclear is a whole different can of worms.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When the subsidy dries up, they cannot keep their doors open.

They would have to subsidize it for life, to become mainstream, but mainstream is broke, because of the wasted tax dollars to subsidize industries, that only a few want and can afford.
NOT TRUE. Do you know ANYTHING about bankruptcy, especially business bankruptcies, Chapter 11? I think you do not.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:09 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
And another person who thinks this is good news for strictly partisan reasons.

Also depends on what type bankruptcy filed. Could be a reorganization effort in order to continue the company.

Show me where I said that, I demand it.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Show me where I said that, I demand it.
Said what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies