Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
More proof that the schools have failed to teach reading comprehension and critical thinking. Causation and correlation. Cause and effect.

I bet breathing is dangerous, also; everyone who's ever fallen off a cliff was breathing right before they fell.

So schools should teach you not to text and walk near cliffs at the same time? What ever happened to personal responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Is sending a text message SO important, that we through caution to the wind and send a text message, even when driving, or climbing? Really?

Alaska woman falls off 60-foot cliff while texting

Alaska woman falls off 60-foot cliff while texting | Fox News

She should be charged with trying to start a forest fire, not to mention littering.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
This thread is useless with out PICTURES

Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
There are laws against wreckless and unsafe driving...
Uh...what law would be against WRECKless driving? Seems like the only really safe way to drive. People strive for WRECKless driving. Insurance companies give better rates for WRECKless driving.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Beyond the idiotic texting I absolutely loathe litterers and this does brings some satisfaction to me.

Smokers are amongst the worst offenders, in fact there is basically no such thing as a non-littering smoker.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Beyond the idiotic texting I absolutely loathe litterers and this does brings some satisfaction to me.

Smokers are amongst the worst offenders, in fact there is basically no such thing as a non-littering smoker.

Some smokers are not complete dolts who have no respect for others who do not smoke.
Also, basically there is no such thing as a non-littering non-smoker either, any human who has trash that goes to a landfill via trash collector is 'littering' it just happens to be in one place not on some random road while driving and a burger wrapper got tossed out of the window.

As for the woman in the original posters story, anyone who even attempts to do anything besides focus on the fact that they are participating in an extremely dangerous sport is just an idiot, whether it be from texting, to smoking to picking her nose.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
More proof that the schools have failed to teach reading comprehension and critical thinking. Causation and correlation. Cause and effect.

I bet breathing is dangerous, also; everyone who's ever fallen off a cliff was breathing right before they fell.
The plastic surgeon to the stars that drove off a cliff to his death 2 years or so ago was texting if I recall.

Regardless, there are numerous credible studies showing the dangers of texting and driving due to the distraction.

P.S. There is a great video out on the web of some guy walking down the street texting while there was a bear loose in his neighborhood. He dang near walked into the bear. It was all filmed by a helicopter that was following the bear.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
She should be charged with trying to start a forest fire, not to mention littering.
I would think there could be multiple littering charges depending on how many pieces of her are still on that cliff-side.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's not misleading at all. People are not thinking about what they are doing because, "They have to text someone". Besides, she wasn't trying to eat, or lift weights, or smoke a bud, she her attention away from remaining safe on a cliff to hold her phone and send a text message...

People are reading and sending text messages, oblivious to the danger it's putting them in.
My point is that the practice "texting", in general, is not to blame here. It's the stupidity of the individual.

Using your logic, walking is dangerous because you can trip and fall while doing it.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:17 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
My daughter and I were almost plowed down in a crosswalk the other day because some moronic woman decided that texting while driving was of the utmost importance. She barely missed us - and yet had absolutely no idea how close she had come to hitting us - she never looked up, ran the crosswalk, ran the stop sign, and simply made a right-hand turn.

Sometimes I wish it would be lawful to pull one's gun and fire a few rounds at people like this. They show no respect for my life, and perhaps I ought to not show any for theirs, either.

Effing idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies