Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,060,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I know. Point?
Ex-gay therapy has been proven to be ineffectual and abuse.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,807,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
So once again a parent IS NOT allowed to decide how to raise their child, and do what they (THE PARENTS) feel is in the best interest of their child. This country is being weakened from within. In a few years the U.S.A. will be a feeble shell of itself regardless of who is in the White House.
Since when is child abuse legal if the parents deem it appropriate for their child?

Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,148,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Ex-gay therapy has been proven to be ineffectual and abuse.
Hmm I just spent a bit of time researching this. And found some weird things

Quote:
Sigmund Freud was a physician and the founder of psychoanalysis. Freud stated that homosexuality could sometimes be removed through hypnotic suggestion,[14] and was influenced by Eugen Steinach, a Viennese endocrinologist who transplanted testicles from straight men into gay men in attempts to change their sexual orientation,[15] stating that his research had “thrown a strong light on the organic determinants of homo-eroticism”.[16] Freud cautioned that Steinach's operations would not necessarily make possible a therapy that could be generally applied, arguing that such transplant procedures would be effective in changing homosexuality in men only in cases in which it was strongly associated with physical characteristics typical of women, and that probably no similar therapy could be applied to lesbianism.
Conversion therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to mention the success rate is very low, and they can be abusive. Outlaw it.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I know. Point?
It's not actual therapy, it is proven ineffective and extremely harmful. That's the point.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,148,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's not actual therapy, it is proven ineffective and extremely harmful. That's the point.
See above post. I agree with you.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
See above post. I agree with you.
Yeah I posted mine before I saw your above post.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,558,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Good for them! Now every one should do it. . .IT IS CHILD ABUSE, even if done to an adult!
Not that I have anything against gay rights, but how does this last part of your post make any sense?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,929,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Boise: I understand what you're saying, and this is a very emotionally driven topic and one that is not conducive to reasoned discourse. That said, I'm hoping that you can recognize that I respectfully disagree.

One has only to go to any university in North America to see that bisexuality has become an accessory one wears to get attention - The number of people in University who self-identify as bisexual is far greater than that outside of that tiny universe. Most end up being one orientation or the other. This suggests that there has to be at least some kind of choice in the matter, or that environment has some kind of influence over orientation.

That said, we've all heard about people who knew they were gay from a very young age. That's possible and suggests that inherent leanings are either an inherited or environmental trait.

Would you really want to be able to discover what inherited trait causes that, or what environmental influence leads to it? If it were either genetic or environmental as most suggest now, it would be possible for people to simply choose the orientation of their children.

What do you think would be the long term consequences of that, and would you be prepared for it if orientation were determined once and for all to be due to a specific combination of genetic and environmental causes?

This is a difficult issue with no clear cut right answer.
i respect the fact that you disagree, but you don't sound as if you're up to date on sexual orientation studies, you're drawing a conclusion from a perceived expression of college students... sexuality is not black and white and indeed most people are some form of bisexual.. just because someone is acting upon those desires doesn't make them gay.. and just because someone is married to someone of the opposite sex with kids makes them straight... college is an age of experimentation.. so it's realistic to see experimentation sexually. The problem with right wing religious studies on this issue is that so long as it is socially taboo to have sexual or emotional desires towards the same sex.. it remains something hidden where the true scope of it's actual manifestation in society is unknown.. you just cannot say there's gay and straight people.. there certainly is a choice on whether to act on it or not.. but there is no choice in the feelings.. and that's the issue at hand with homosexuality..

Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The problem is that you created an impossible scenario when you made comments about no medical or physical test being able to prove sexual orientation. That is true, but as I pointed out, the same can be said for ethnic makeup.

Now if you're willing to concede the absurdity of the level of proof requested, then we can talk.
nah I like a little scientific facts when someone claims it's a fact. I haven't claimed anything i have nothing to concede, I just don't anyones word when i know better.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Please explain how to prove people are born not homosexual? Can you prove you are straight? Same rules apply.
I never made any claim of anything, someone else did, prove it or shut it, it's just that simple. There is no purpose in anyone being born Homosexual, the parts are not meant to go together, it's really just that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies