Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,149,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Sure, intellectuals are often at the heart of social change.
And that's a good thing? I think not.

Fabian Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^^This is where "intellectuals" get us.

The left is full of them. The right fights against them. The natural order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,912,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
And that's a good thing? I think not.

Fabian Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^^This is where "intellectuals" get us.

The left is full of them. The right fights against them. The natural order.
Oh, yes, all intellectuals are Fabians. That's not a stretch by any means.

By your own admission, the right wing is anti-intellectual. The opposite of intelligent is ignorance.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,510,456 times
Quote:
One of the first steps that dictators take is to eliminate the intelligentsia. The reason is obvious: Intellectuals will ask difficult questions that said dictators don't want to have to answer. It's much easier just wiping them out or sending them to a work camp.

Would you say that modern political parties are anti-intellectual? If so, why?

Isn't this a concerning trend?
It is concerning, but it's far from the whole story. Some intellectuals prostitute themselves for a piece of the pie under totalitarian rule. Others are open admirers of totalitarianism.

Furthermore, democracy is at least as congenial to anti-intellectualism as dictatorship. In terms of basic principles, it is more congenial. It's nearly always the elected legislatures that promote whatever popular idiocy is popular at the moment, and it's nearly always unelected jurists who reel it in (though not often enough).

Old 10-01-2012, 03:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,142,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Problem, usually it isn't for the good.
How absurd.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,021,846 times
What is the definition of a intellectual?

Those who claim they are, I find seldom could figure their way out of a wet paper bag. Those who remain fairly calm and quiet, and can do things with machines, like build more machines and are in other ways wise, seem to me to be the ones who are really intellectuals.

Some left wing intellectual knockin down 150,000 a year standin their runnin his yap mean nothing to me. Why? Because he can't figure his way out of a wet paper bag.

When the BS stops he can't walk.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 10-01-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,482,652 times
Quote:
One of the first steps that dictators take is to eliminate the intelligentsia. The reason is obvious: Intellectuals will ask difficult questions that said dictators don't want to have to answer. It's much easier just wiping them out or sending them to a work camp.

Would you say that modern political parties are anti-intellectual? If so, why?

Isn't this a concerning trend?
Are you talking about Iran or Syria? What dictatorship...?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Are you talking about Iran or Syria? What dictatorship...?
Well, the USSR, Cambodia, China, Myanmar...among others.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,795,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It is concerning, but it's far from the whole story. Some intellectuals prostitute themselves for a piece of the pie under totalitarian rule. Others are open admirers of totalitarianism.

Furthermore, democracy is at least as congenial to anti-intellectualism as dictatorship. In terms of basic principles, it is more congenial. It's nearly always the elected legislatures that promote whatever popular idiocy is popular at the moment, and it's nearly always unelected jurists who reel it in (though not often enough).
Some intellectuals are self-serving weasels, so if they think they can benefit from a stupid system, they will often serve as its apologists. Witness Paul Ryan. Smart guy. Complete prostitute.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
What is the definition of a intellectual?

Those who claim I are, i find seldom could figure their way out of a wet paper bag. Those who remain fairly calm and quiet, and can do things with machines, like build more machines and are in other ways wise, seem to me to be the ones who are really intellectuals.

Some left wing intellectual knockin down 150,000 a year standin their runnin his yap mean nothing to me. Why? Because he can't figure his way out of a wet paper bag.

When the BS stops he can't walk.
What does "can't figure his way out of a wet paper bag" even mean?

I suppose that we should save judgment of who is and isn't an intellectual for a poster who uses eloquent phrasing such as "runnin his yap"?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Some intellectuals are self-serving weasels, so if they think they can benefit from a stupid system, they will often serve as its apologists. Witness Paul Ryan. Smart guy. Complete prostitute.
Paul Ryan...intellectual?! Do tell!
How Paul Ryan Convinced Washington Of His Genius | The New Republic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies