Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet.

Quote:
A dramatic new study with implications for next month’s presidential election finds that offering women free birth control can reduce unplanned pregnancies -- and send the abortion rate spiraling downward.
When more than 9,000 women ages 14 to 45 in the St. Louis area were given no-cost contraception for three years, abortion rates dropped from two-thirds to three-quarters lower than the national rate, according to a new report by Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis researchers.
Free birth control cuts abortion rate dramatically, study finds - Vitals

I have been a proponent for free birth control for a long time and I'm glad to see that studies are now supporting what I suspected.

For those so vehemently opposed to abortion, this really seems like a win-win solution!

I know the usual suspects will chime in with all the usual "personal responsibility" cries and the "I shouldn't have to pay for it" belly-aching, but one of the facts of life is that this is not a perfect world, and women will find themselves facing unwanted and un-prepared for pregnancies.

It would be nice if those who are opposed to abortions could look at the issue of free birth control as an issue of the lesser of two evils, at least, and see it as a positive thing.

After all, it seems that the cost of making sure women have access to free birth control would be a small price to pay for the number of abortions (to some - "murders") that would not occur.

Like I said - WIN/WIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
New study: Abstinence cuts abortions dramatically!
Another new study: Child birth cuts abortions dramatically!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
New study: We live on planet Earth, where even Catholic priests can't keep their pants zipped up when told!
New study: More births from unplanned pregnancies = even more Americans on welfare!

Wake up and smell reality, please... and good call on predicting this post, OP; in the first reply no less.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
Quote:
Old study: Religious people are statistically less intelligent.....(it's true)

Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Whether you like it or not, men and women are going to have sex.

And not all of them are equipped - mentally, physically, financially - to take care of a baby and will choose to terminate a resulting pregnancy.

Instead of having that abortion that so many of you claim is "murder," wouldn't it be better for women to just be able prevent that pregnancy from the get go?

I see nothing wrong with birth control being made available to every woman who wants it - free.

And, yes, I realize the tax payers will pay for it. But how many billions of dollars are we spending each week in Afghanistan? For what?

At least, tax-payer provided birth control would have a positive effect - fewer abortions, fewer dead fetuses (babies, to a lot of you).

I don't understand the argument against it.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
and good call on predicting this post, OP;
Thanks.

Quote:
in the first reply no less.
I expect many more.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
I'm not for subsidizing anyone's birth control, nor am I for subsidizing anyone's abortions.

I'm not speaking from a religious perspective, only from a taxpayer's.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I'm not for subsidizing anyone's birth control, nor am I for subsidizing anyone's abortions.

I'm not speaking from a religious perspective, only from a taxpayer's.
Would you rather your taxes went to support that child for eighteen years?

Again, it's not a perfect world. Women get pregnant. Always have, always will.

Which would you rather "subsidize?" Birth control? Abortions? Or helping to raise a child for eighteen years?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
how much is a packet of condoms these days anyway?

why do they need to be free?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Would you rather your taxes went to support that child for eighteen years?

Again, it's not a perfect world. Women get pregnant. Always have, always will.

Which would you rather "subsidize?" Birth control? Abortions? Or helping to raise a child for eighteen years?
how about none of the above.............let's invade Iran instead

Team America: World Police (1/10) Movie CLIP - Team America Intro (2004) HD - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies