Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,970,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet.

Free birth control cuts abortion rate dramatically, study finds - Vitals

I have been a proponent for free birth control for a long time and I'm glad to see that studies are now supporting what I suspected.

For those so vehemently opposed to abortion, this really seems like a win-win solution!

I know the usual suspects will chime in with all the usual "personal responsibility" cries and the "I shouldn't have to pay for it" belly-aching, but one of the facts of life is that this is not a perfect world, and women will find themselves facing unwanted and un-prepared for pregnancies.

It would be nice if those who are opposed to abortions could look at the issue of free birth control as an issue of the lesser of two evils, at least, and see it as a positive thing.

After all, it seems that the cost of making sure women have access to free birth control would be a small price to pay for the number of abortions (to some - "murders") that would not occur.

Like I said - WIN/WIN.
This is just common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,013,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I think free condoms is the way to go here.

cheap to produce and surely helps society long term.
Lots of organizations give out free condoms to reduce HIV rates, but other forms of birth control(and the fact that you should use mulitple methods of it) is an issuse.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,013,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am going to have to call you out on this..

You says it's never worked, then WHY DID IT WORK, till the mid 70's?
Before the women's rights movement and the great society, people who got pregenant either gave up the baby or married the father. Welfare basically made it easier not to get married along with less shame for being fatherless(i.e. We usually don't call thoose people err ah...bastards). And it isn't always teenagers getting pregnant.

Out of 4 sisters who were of childbearing age before the 40ies that I know of. Only 1 got childbearing and marrage in the right order. One ran off, but lost the baby. One got an abortion. One had her baby taken away and raised by other family.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think they get it. But as soon as you suggest a reasonable, workable way to actually prevent abortions, they start thinking of excuses because, at least for some "pro-life" advocates, the real issue is that they don't want women to have sex for any reason other than to procreate. We could sit around all day and discuss why that is: biblical or religious teachings; a belief that women's only role is to be a wife and mother; lack of a personally satisfying sex life; an idea that a woman who enjoys sex is a ****. I don't know. But it comes up over and over.

They'll post for pages about how abortion is killing a baby and you'd think that they'd be willing to try most anything to prevent abortions, but they don't really want that. They're apparently willing to spend millions of dollars to prosecute and incarcerate women who have abortions (which would be the consequence of outlawing abortions) and to care for the children an incarcerated woman would leave behind, but don't want to spend a dime to prevent an abortion.
Your clue was in your own words "some" pro-lifers may think in this archaic manner about sex only being for procreation. So who gives a damn about them? Most pro-lifers do not.

It is up to those having sex to pay for birth control not the taxpayer. Personal responsibility is what it is all about. As for paying welfare for an unwanted child why should we be providing that to irresponsible people anyway? Pay for your own birth control or don't have sex if you don't want to get pregnant. Either way welfare or abortions aren't the answer either.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am all in favor of free contraceptives for Republicans.
Maybe you should have said Democrats. Since so many baby makers are Democrats more than Republicans.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,991,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Old study: Religious people are statistically less intelligent.....(it's true)
LOL....that is the best post in a long time.
You got my vote!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,282,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

If abstinence doesn't work, and teaching kids responsibility doesn't work, why did it work with our parents, and our parent's parent, and even MY generation?
what are you talking about? Irresponsibility for sex has been found in every generation since at least the 60's. Teen pregnancy was a problem then as much as it's a problem now.

but ignore the fact that teen pregnancy rates have actually gone down since the 70's. Do you know why? the introduction of SEX EDUCATION and the ability to obtain birth control.

you do know that most teenagers who ended up pregnant, were actually forced to drop out of school or attend a school set up for pregnant teens. This was common when I was in high school. so you may have not even been aware of any teen pregnancy because those teens were not in school.

Just because you didn't see it, didn't mean that it was there.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,524,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your clue was in your own words "some" pro-lifers may think in this archaic manner about sex only being for procreation. So who gives a damn about them? Most pro-lifers do not.

It is up to those having sex to pay for birth control not the taxpayer. Personal responsibility is what it is all about. As for paying welfare for an unwanted child why should we be providing that to irresponsible people anyway? Pay for your own birth control or don't have sex if you don't want to get pregnant. Either way welfare or abortions aren't the answer either.
ok, welfare and abortion aren't the answer. Taxpayer funded bc isn't the answer. The real world proves personal responsibility doesn't prevent pregnancy. You don't leave many options to prevent welfare or abortion.

I'd gladly see my health insurance premiums or taxes increase by a miniscule amount to subsidize iud's, an effective way to prevent pregnancy, reduce abortions, and lower the costs associated with unwanted children.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,274,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

I'd gladly see my health insurance premiums or taxes increase by a miniscule amount to subsidize iud's, an effective way to prevent pregnancy, reduce abortions, and lower the costs associated with unwanted children.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
ok, welfare and abortion aren't the answer. Taxpayer funded bc isn't the answer. The real world proves personal responsibility doesn't prevent pregnancy. You don't leave many options to prevent welfare or abortion.

Interesting that they don't have the money for birth control but they can afford the more expensive abortion procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies