Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,251,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Why don't the GOP stop living in fantasy land and realize that people have sex. Sex is not bad. Mistakes happen. condoms break, the pill fails, IUD's fail to do what they are supposed to do, and some people are just irresponsible.
You're the one who lives in a fantasy land if you believe anyone thinks people don't have sex.

Irresponsible sex IS bad, since it can/frequently does result in negative sequela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Certainly people, in today's over populated time, should be able to get free birth control. No question about it.
Free? Birth control is NOT free. Gimme, gimme, gimme? NO. You want it, you pay for it. Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for your personal entertainment. (Obviously "your" is generic and not referring to you personally.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,101,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If Fundi Republicans had their way, all extramarital sex would be illegal.
{Pssst......except for them.}

Old 10-07-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Well, I don't think committing societal suicide is quite the answer.

Perhaps something a little less dramatic, but certainly equally radical by today's low standards ....

We could actually restore our country to a representative constitutional republic and put all the criminals in jail. You know .... not the dope smokers, but the real criminals ... the one's stealing Billions and raping and robbing us blind, and relocating all of our jobs to their overseas slave labor camps. The same ones who seem to have been successful in convincing the masses here that death is preferable to life ... not just as it pertains to the unborn ... but also the currently living humans too. They are the ones that have purposely run our country aground ... but we're a resilient bunch, and we could turn things around very quickly, if people would simply shut up for 5 seconds .... turn that boob tube off for a while ... quit gobbling up this propaganda like dogs eating cat turds, and listen to those "conspiracy theorists" who are simply trying to take off your blindfolds.

Fixing this mess would be easy, compared to the more difficult task of trying to get people to pull their collective heads out of their rectums, and start thinking again.

Is it possible? Yes it is. Will we be successful? Probably not.
Abortion equals committing societal suicide? LOL NOW who's being dramatic?

Personally, I would say people fighting over who has the best religion has more to do with destroying societies than anything else I can think of.

Even in this day and age people are still committing atrocities to appease of their imaginary gods.

Pretty primitive if you ask me.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
You're the one who lives in a fantasy land if you believe anyone thinks people don't have sex.

Irresponsible sex IS bad, since it can/frequently does result in negative sequela.

Free? Birth control is NOT free. Gimme, gimme, gimme? NO. You want it, you pay for it. Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for your personal entertainment. (Obviously "your" is generic and not referring to you personally.)
Well, if I want a bunch of kids I don't have to pay for it......YOU DO.....isn't life grand?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,388,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
{Pssst......except for them.}
LOL thanks for the laugh of the day, I've been reading through some of these hateful threads you nailed it as usual. My rep wand is out of juice otherwise I'd rep yah.

I don't understand why they think BC is FREE, as I've posted over and over again, decades ago the insurance companies realized that preventative care was less costly and there for they started including our annual exams and covering our BC in their policies as a cost saving directive. I'm old enough to remember when they were not included and in todays dollars it can be quite expensive. In order to get ANY form of BC prescription a woman must go to the Dr. for a FULL history and physical and the cost of that exam is quite pricey. Plus, we also must return to the Dr. every 3-4 months for the first year for follow-ups baised on family history labs will be drawn etc. Oh and then there's the cost of our monthly health insurance policies and the deductibles. Each year we are required to get a full history and physical to get the prescription re-filled and again it's not free with the cost of our insurance premiums and annual deductibles. Thats $250-$350 plus labs and I don't see that as FREE anything.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,518,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet.

Free birth control cuts abortion rate dramatically, study finds - Vitals

I have been a proponent for free birth control for a long time and I'm glad to see that studies are now supporting what I suspected.

For those so vehemently opposed to abortion, this really seems like a win-win solution!

I know the usual suspects will chime in with all the usual "personal responsibility" cries and the "I shouldn't have to pay for it" belly-aching, but one of the facts of life is that this is not a perfect world, and women will find themselves facing unwanted and un-prepared for pregnancies.

It would be nice if those who are opposed to abortions could look at the issue of free birth control as an issue of the lesser of two evils, at least, and see it as a positive thing.

After all, it seems that the cost of making sure women have access to free birth control would be a small price to pay for the number of abortions (to some - "murders") that would not occur.

Like I said - WIN/WIN.
This entire thread is bogus.

Birth control is not free and never will be.

All you are suggesting is forcing someone to pay for it.

I might as well show up at your front door and force you to pay for my lunch.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
LOL thanks for the laugh of the day, I've been reading through some of these hateful threads you nailed it as usual. My rep wand is out of juice otherwise I'd rep yah.

I don't understand why they think BC is FREE, as I've posted over and over again, decades ago the insurance companies realized that preventative care was less costly and there for they started including our annual exams and covering our BC in their policies as a cost saving directive. I'm old enough to remember when they were not included and in todays dollars it can be quite expensive. In order to get ANY form of BC prescription a woman must go to the Dr. for a FULL history and physical and the cost of that exam is quite pricey. Plus, we also must return to the Dr. every 3-4 months for the first year for follow-ups baised on family history labs will be drawn etc. Oh and then there's the cost of our monthly health insurance policies and the deductibles. Each year we are required to get a full history and physical to get the prescription re-filled and again it's not free with the cost of our insurance premiums and annual deductibles. Thats $250-$350 plus labs and I don't see that as FREE anything.
You are so right.

What is so disturbing is that these same people, who can't even get a handle on what the actual costs of obtaining the pill entails.....think that they have the financial savvy required to fix our healthcare system and our economy.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,100,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I see - I am damned if I do and damned if I don't - right?

I was accused of having "compassion that ended at my pocketbook".

So I can let that go and allow that falsehood to be in the forum's minds - damned, or I can state that I do help children with my own money - stopping short of giing details so i am not accused of "patting myself on the back" - and I will still be damned - by you.

Once again Gizmo - I am dissapointed in you. I was attacked presumptively and I addressed the presumption - yet you went for the low blow.

Pathetic.
Whatever. I don't think that's the first time I've heard you mention it... so if you really want us to know how altruistic you are, just go full Monty and tell us exactly what you do to help children.

Besides, as I said in that post, it's irrelevant how much Harrier (or any one of us) contributes privately. I mean, unless you're giving on a Bill Gates level, it still won't solve the problem of too many children being hungry and/or unwanted in this world. As somebody who is SO opposed to abortion, and who supposedly cares for the children who exist, I'd think you would applaud the idea of preventing more pregnancies. Yeah, it might cost a few pennies - but if you're saying you already give money to charity, why gripe about a tiny bit more (which will actually decrease the long-term need for giving)? It just makes no sense, which is why I think you & the others who disagree are projecting "moral" beliefs over financial logic.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,080,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Whatever. I don't think that's the first time I've heard you mention it... so if you really want us to know how altruistic you are, just go full Monty and tell us exactly what you do to help children.

Besides, as I said in that post, it's irrelevant how much Harrier (or any one of us) contributes privately. I mean, unless you're giving on a Bill Gates level, it still won't solve the problem of too many children being hungry and/or unwanted in this world. As somebody who is SO opposed to abortion, and who supposedly cares for the children who exist, I'd think you would applaud the idea of preventing more pregnancies. Yeah, it might cost a few pennies - but if you're saying you already give money to charity, why gripe about a tiny bit more (which will actually decrease the long-term need for giving)? It just makes no sense, which is why I think you & the others who disagree are projecting "moral" beliefs over financial logic.
Uh, uh - you are trying to draw me into a trap - which i refuse to fall into.

The thread you are referring to is likely one where someone asked me if I was willing to adopt the children who need homes(which they wrongly attributed to having not being aborted). I do support directly 300 childen who are unable to be raised or whom their parents are unwilling to raise them(along with 2 million other Americans, Canadians, Britains, and Bermudans(and with no disrespect to my fellow British, Canadian, and Bermudan brothers and sisters who support our children and seniors) - our movement was founded and is strongest in the United States.

In that other thread - I stated my organization and gave the website so that others can research it and know the good that we do - and possibly join us. Now I will not give that information unless requested through direct message - which I invite you to do - only because I am posting in a politcial forum and I have been attacked by those who think that only giving tax money to government is "compassionate" and I have been attacked for rejecting government work in favor of private charity which I do support.

Forgive me for mistrusting your motives - but you and other appears biased - and I will not allow our strong and honorable service organization to be drawn into the mud of political raking.

I support and have taken an oath to protect the hundreds of children under my and my brothers and sisters care - and do not wish to bring them into a political dogfight initiated by people who do not care about them. As you can see - I take my obligation seriously. If you know what the thread which I stated what my organization is - you know what I do already.

If you would like further information - please direct message me and I will be glad to direct you in the proper direction which contains the what, why, how, and when of what we do to help our children and seniors.

God bless you - and I will welcome you into our ranks if you believe as we do: no one stands as tall as when they stoop as low to raise aloft a child.

Last edited by Harrier; 10-07-2012 at 11:55 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,251,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, it might cost a few pennies...
A few pennies? If it's just a "few pennies", surely everyone could afford buy their own birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies