Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,742,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I totally agree with you! There are many open minded, intelligent Republicans, and I was never trying to say that they don't exist! I came from a community like that. But you can't ignore the racial element in the GOP. They're an increasingly large block of the party, while the educated suburban vote in most of the country has moved towards the Democrats.
The biggest racist I know is a huge Democrat. He has a picture of the Dem. presidents from JFK-Clinton hanging over his mantle. And he tells jokes about n*****. Or he did, until I told him if he did it again, I would take my children and leave his house.
Unfortunately, my husband is related to him so I can't cut him out of our lives.

But hey, he voted for Obama, so joking about n***** doesn't count, right? Because you have to be a Republican to be racist. At least that's the overwhelming belief here on c-d from the clueless.

BTW- The first time I told him I was offended, he asked me if I had ever really been around black people, because clearly if I had, I would understand. I was so unbelievably offended. But hey, he voted for Obama, so all good, right?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 PM

630 posts, read 1,267,294 times
Look, you're taking what I said out of context and you're getting defensive. I'm referring to a trend, not a law. That guy sounds like a douche, and I'd rather he not vote in the first place, but I'd say he is the exception, not the rule.

A southerner like that tends to vote Republican these days, but they were probably democrats in the past and might still vote Democrat at the local level sometimes. All in all, at the national level, the GOP has consolidated the white southern vote due to a combination of promoting traditional Christian values and stoking racial resentment.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,507,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Is is racially motivated? Does the sun rise in the east? Of course it is racially motivated!
Why do over 90% of blacks vote democrat?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,164,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The biggest racist I know is a huge Democrat. He has a picture of the Dem. presidents from JFK-Clinton hanging over his mantle. And he tells jokes about n*****. Or he did, until I told him if he did it again, I would take my children and leave his house.
Unfortunately, my husband is related to him so I can't cut him out of our lives.

But hey, he voted for Obama, so joking about n***** doesn't count, right? Because you have to be a Republican to be racist. At least that's the overwhelming belief here on c-d from the clueless.

BTW- The first time I told him I was offended, he asked me if I had ever really been around black people, because clearly if I had, I would understand. I was so unbelievably offended. But hey, he voted for Obama, so all good, right?
No, no one is saying "it's all good" in a situation like that. We see precisely the phenomenon you're referencing in a place like West Virginia, which, if Hillary had been elected in 2008, would almost certainly be leaning Dem at this point.

In all likelihood, you are simply ignorant of what rural life in America entails. I've lived in rural areas my entire life. Rural areas in America are rife with racial prejudice. The people who exhibit this prejudice are usually self-identified "conservatives." Not all, just most. Much of the prejudice is simply due to the fact that these folks never come into contact with folks of other races. Regardless the reason, these type of folks naturally gravitate towards the party that devotes more time to villifying those lazy minorities who are taking their hard-earned money from them or will protect their absolute right to shoot dead the black men who want to get after their white wives and white daughters. If the game here is going to be to contend that there's an equal number of bigots on each side, you will not be persuasive to those not locked in willful ignorance.

This will be a good test of your intellectual honesty: Where would you be more likely to see a racist placard, at a Tea Party rally or an OWS rally? Be honest.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,118,105 times
Tim Scott; black conservative republican congressman from................South Carolina

Nikki Haley; Indian American conservative republican female governor from............................South Carolina

Alan West; black conservative republican congressman from.............Florida

Bobby Jindal; Indian American conservative governor from...................Louisiana

Thread Fail.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,742,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Look, you're taking what I said out of context and you're getting defensive. I'm referring to a trend, not a law. That guy sounds like a douche, and I'd rather he not vote in the first place, but I'd say he is the exception, not the rule.

A southerner like that tends to vote Republican these days, but they were probably democrats in the past and might still vote Democrat at the local level sometimes. All in all, at the national level, the GOP has consolidated the white southern vote due to a combination of promoting traditional Christian values and stoking racial resentment.
And what I'm saying is that your premise is wrong. Most people on either side are not motivated by race.
Being an Evangelical Christian definitely has an affect on Southerners voting Republican, I would agree with that part.
I rarely get involved in these threads b/c the ignorance is overwhelming.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Because ever since the mid-sixties, it has been the Dems who have pushed civil rights legislation. You now have the situation in which Republicans are pushing voter ID laws in a transparent attempt to prevent poor and elderly blacks from voting. It's not exactly a mystery.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
And what I'm saying is that your premise is wrong. Most people on either side are not motivated by race.
Being an Evangelical Christian definitely has an affect on Southerners voting Republican, I would agree with that part.
I rarely get involved in these threads b/c the ignorance is overwhelming.
Can you explain why someone who believes in spreading the word of Jesus would be more inclined to vote for Republicans?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,118,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Because ever since the mid-sixties, it has been the Dems who have pushed civil rights legislation. You now have the situation in which Republicans are pushing voter ID laws in a transparent attempt to prevent poor and elderly blacks from voting. It's not exactly a mystery.
That is a lie. Regarding voter ID laws, do you believe that black people are incapable of getting an ID?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,100,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
They have low IQ's, therefore they depend on the government to employ them, feed them, heal them, basically baby sit them. The democrats are all about increasing the power of government, so 98% of brotha's and sista's vote for their new plantation owners.

As for White Southerners, I'm guessing its based on racial animosity, no doubt about it. They are Whites who vote for the best interests of Whites, just like Africans and Latinos vote for corrupt African and Latino mayors in cities where they hold political power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies