Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
That is completely wrong. 19 Senators tried to keep the bill from passing through filibuster. 18 were Democrats and 1 was a Republican. 80+% of the Republicans voted in favor of the bill.
You need to read some history.
It's really no point.

They actually believe that Republicans are racist. Doesn't matter what evidence you show them.

I seriously wonder if they know how effin retarded they sound.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
You could argue that white southerners are just very very conservative, but that's not the whole story to me. Obama got a larger share of the white vote (in '08) in Utah of all places than he did in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana and South Carolina.

Is it racially motivated?

Why do black southerners vote overwhemingly Democrat? Is it racially motivated? It's a topic I think needs to be discussed.

This is the overall county swing map from 2004 to 2008. Red counties voted more Republican in 08 than 04.
And blue counties voted more Democrat in 08 than 04. If you check the numbers from 92,96, 00, 04, and 08 you won't see many big shifts. Did white southern conservatives not vote for Clinton/Gore, 2 white southerners, because of race????

And just so you know, I'm a white southerner, so I mean no disrespect or derision. But it's a topic that needs to be discussed.
Sounds to me like you just wanna say conservatives are racist. With no evidence, which is typical of these type threads.

I seriously think Democrats need to find something else to talk about. Nobody but the extreme looney left is buying this racism bs anymore.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Here, I'll help you out for my county:

Williamson County, TN
2008 Results:
McCain 68%
Obama 30%

Percent with college degree: 52% (Average in US: 23%) So my county is much more educated than the nation.

Income: Consistently ranked one of the 20 wealthiest counties in the country:
#17 in 2011

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's hard for you to believe, but many successfull, educated people are conservative because we agree with conservative policies and don't give two hoots if the person is black, white, or green with polka dots.

Your state was not one of the ones being talked about silly.

I was born in Texas.

Go back and look at the map.

Tennessee is an alright place. You live in the burbs of Nashville? Where all the educated working class live? Your county is much more progressive than your state and likely buoyed the states number some :P

Sounds like a nice place, I'd like to visit. How's memphis? Good BBQ? Father in law is from there.

Last edited by Exaday; 10-05-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 12:13 AM

510 posts, read 430,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
You have a point. The white southern male has always been a self destroying creature. Only he would be dumb enough to fight and die for rich plantation owners to have slaves which of course made it impossible for him to find work.
Newsflash! It turns out Southern white males are smart enough not to vote for people who openly hate them and their culture only slightly less than Hitler.

Darn those stupid, yet strangely smart Southern white males!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
Exaday = "You live in the burbs of Nashville? Where all the educated working class live? Your county is much more progressive than your state and likely buoyed the states number some"

Bless your heart Exaday, before you call someone "silly", you should ensure that -you- are not the one being silly.

Williamson County TN was ranked as the #1 "Most Conservative-friendly County" in the US:

Quote:
More than 175,000 lucky Tennesseans live nestled in the green rolling hills of what is, when adjusted for cost of living, America’s wealthiest county...

Residents are big on regular church attendance as well. “You can’t swing a dead cat and not hit a church,” said Cerveny. “It’s very evangelical in that sense.”

There is certainly a lot of money in and around Nashville. With favorable tax rates and a business-friendly environment, Williamson County has become a magnet for corporations...

The county prides itself on fiscal responsibility. “One of the things that I’m most proud of is that Williamson County is rated by Moody’s as a AAA county... “It’s very important for us to balance our books, and nearly two-thirds of the operational budget goes to public education,” he said. “From bow to stern, we’re all held very accountable in our county.”

“The driving force that people are looking here for is our public education system,” said Anderson. “We have a 92-95 percent graduation rate in high school.”

“We’re very conservative, and we’re proud of what the people here have,” he continued. “We’ve had a very strong growing community, this is a great place to live.”

“It is the best place on earth,” said Representative Marsha Blackburn, a Republican, who has represented the area since 2003.
America’s most conservative-friendly county is Williamson County: Horse farms, guitar-shaped pools and low taxes | The Daily Caller

Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,724 times
So much truthiness, so little time.

1) Democrats do not hate southern whites. If you sit in on any democratic campaign strategy meeting you'll hear people ponder how they can win them back. It's the southerners who hate the Democrats.

2) Democrats (many many decades ago!) had a hand in crafting racist legislation or filibustering progressive legislation because most of those Democrats represented a white, southern constituency. So the correlation still exists. Most of those old Southern Dems would certainly be Republicans today, a la Strom Thurmond.

3) The OWS thugs are about as bad as the Tea Party folks when it comes to incendiary rhetoric. I agree with their cause but not their methods of protest. Bringing them up is deflecting from the topic at hand.

4) Democrats do well at the state level in West Virginia, but they have distanced themselves from the national party. Joe Manchin refuses to openly support Obama. But you know who did openly support Obama? Robert Byrd.

5) Obama never said he wants to destroy coal. Stop watching Fox News. I never understood why people believe this outright lie.

6) Speaking of Fox News, their audience is typically less than 2% black.

Anybody who believes that the solid south suddenly became a Republican stronghold "just cuz" for reasons not at all relating to race is ignoring history, facts and a palpable simmering racial resentment right under all our noses. I understand the denial on this thread, it's what I expected, but I hoped some people would admit that race has played a role. BECAUSE IT HAS.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,724 times
And for anybody who doubts the existence of the southern strategy- Here is what RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman said at a 2005 NAACP convention

"Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization." He also added. "I am here as Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

(At least one Republican in this thread admits it)

Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Because the government has pretty much made sure that this country is racially polarized?

It's called rent seeking....it's how they created the illusion of each party having attributes geared towards two major demographics.

And it's a false dichotomy.

And it's scary that more people haven't awoken to this fact.

Everybody is getting hosed in the end. Pun intended.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 AM

83 posts, read 79,597 times
Wasn't there some speculation, during the 2008 election, that this seems to be the consequence of having the following demographic breakdown: basically, when you have an area that has only two predominant groups, and the minority group is substantial in size (say, 30%-40%), then you see this sort of toxic polarization.

So, by that theory, white folks in Minnesota are such an overwhelming majority that "black" doesn't have a chance to be seen as a competing group with the possibility of getting some sort "upper hand". Same in, say, Colorado or Oregon. Meanwhile, white people in California or New York City might not be, or might be drifting away from being, majorities, BUT there is no one group that is going to replace them, and so there's going to be coalitions in the future no matter. So in that context, no one group threatens to get control of the politics in the same way. They're too fragmentedly diverse for that.

I think this argument claims that the Deep South, from that perspective, has a lot in common with, say, the Israel / Palestine situation, or certain democracies in European with their influx of Muslims (which we don't really have in the same numbers anywhere in the U.S.). Or the emerging polarized politics of Arizona where predominantly old white Snowbirds are watching in horror the massive influx of much younger Hispanics and, because Phoenix isn't really more broadly diverse like L.A., you end up with a much more racialized politics.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,820 times
To answer the OP's question...

I believe it is absolutely racially motivated. Democrats have since the 60s been the civil rights party, like it or not. MOST Southern whites have this inbred (no pun intended) belief that they got screwed in the ending of slavery and now are bitter. It is so obvious here in the South.

Oh, and also the 'Christian' thing.

BTW I am neither a D or a R. I believe both parties are full of it. Call me politically bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies