Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,909 times

Advertisements

Correct but what I'd a group of people have nothing to fall back on? Then what? If I apply for welfare, you complain, if I rob someone, you complain. If everyone had a little corner to run to I see no problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should race be a factor when hiring?

They says its supposed to boost diversity.

No-

I really cannot think of a situation in which it should matter. Why not just hire the best person?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Quote:

Depends on the job. Say your in marketing and you need to hire somebody to push a product and your base is a particular group. Who are you going to hire someone who is also in that group? Of course you are.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,334 times
Quote:

Race should not be a factor, in anyway, when hiring.

if you limit or promote any specific race, than you are not selecting people based on their ability/talent.

The issue is that people are biased, and may not recognize the best people versus their own internal biases. Laws were setup to accommodate for this issue.

yet every law has a con and a pro.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're right. What makes a Chinese restaurant Chinese ?
Sometimes you want segregation because it enhances your business, especially if it's a cultural business.

I have no problem with that. And it goes for all races.
You can be cultural without segregation.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Nothing wrong with thr but what if that business doesn't like a certain group of people? You can't force the business to hire them.
Then its a lawsuit.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with thr but what if that business doesn't like a certain group of people? You can't force the business to hire them.
If a business does such, well... that is their choice. It happens all the time anyway and you are correct, we can't "force" a business to hire someone, nor should we. It is just a fact of life that some people or "groups" will have various prejudices and it will effect who they choose to do business with. I think liberty is best served by protecting an individuals right to be free to choose who they will work for and who they will hire regardless of the subjective factors they choose to apply.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Depends on the job. Say your in marketing and you need to hire somebody to push a product and your base is a particular group. Who are you going to hire someone who is also in that group? Of course you are.
Culture/demographic/background may be required for some jobs.

I mean if you work for BET, chances are your black. . .but ability can still have an impact. Just look at Barbara Zaneri

Consumer Goods Companies want "American Culture consumers"

Though I don't see the above. . .most of the time. I have worked for several CPG companies and the mantra is "I am not my consumer" i.e. you must understand, learn, research, ask. . .

So i think the above is true, mostly, in extreme niche products. . .but not at Nestle, P&G, and Campbell's soup

Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
You can be cultural without segregation.
Yes you can. But, as I pointed out, it can enhance your business and make it more marketable to customers.

An Italian restaurant where you hear the help talking in Italian makes it seem more authentic.
Same with a Chinese restaurant or Vietnamese soup place.

People have preconceived ideas; that's just life.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Quote:
Correct but what I'd a group of people have nothing to fall back on? Then what? If I apply for welfare, you complain, if I rob someone, you complain. If everyone had a little corner to run to I see no problem with it.
Give an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies