Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Eh, everything I read says religion period is on the decline in this country.

And FWIW, I'm an atheist and I am an anomaly being a black woman atheist. I also was not raised in a lap of luxury and was born to a single mom, who was on welfare a couple years and we had a lot of financial problems and no utilities at times - gas/lights, I kind of liked it since we got to use candles when the electricity was off and got to visit one of my favorite aunts to take showers/baths at her house when our water was shut off.

I read the whole Bible when I was 10. I know that it was the Bible that made me an atheist. I thought it was very weird that people believed that stuff. I remember thinking exactly that "people believe this stuff is true??" Out of the mouths of babes I tell you.

I tried to get myself to believe it, but it didn't work lol. It was just too outrageous for me. I think because I was an advanced avid reader and was very good at comprehension and interpreting texts. I thought One Hundred Years of Solitude made more sense than the Bible did and so stopped trying to believe it and just live my life.

I also think that the less educated one is, the more likely they are to believe in religion. That and because it is a traditional thing and people are afraid of not following that tradition, like I was as a preteen. It takes a lot of courage to tell your devout, evangelical family, that you don't believe their religion is true. You could face backlash or persistent demands to get the devil out of you or people trying to blame every negative thing that happens in your life on your lack of religion, while also saying every negative thing that happens in their own lives are due to "god's will" lol.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Eh, everything I read says religion period is on the decline in this country.

And FWIW, I'm an atheist and I am an anomaly being a black woman atheist. I also was not raised in a lap of luxury and was born to a single mom, who was on welfare a couple years and we had a lot of financial problems and no utilities at times - gas/lights, I kind of liked it since we got to use candles when the electricity was off and got to visit one of my favorite aunts to take showers/baths at her house when our water was shut off.

I read the whole Bible when I was 10. I know that it was the Bible that made me an atheist. I thought it was very weird that people believed that stuff. I remember thinking exactly that "people believe this stuff is true??" Out of the mouths of babes I tell you.

I tried to get myself to believe it, but it didn't work lol. It was just too outrageous for me. I think because I was an advanced avid reader and was very good at comprehension and interpreting texts. I thought One Hundred Years of Solitude made more sense than the Bible did and so stopped trying to believe it and just live my life.

I also think that the less educated one is, the more likely they are to believe in religion. That and because it is a traditional thing and people are afraid of not following that tradition, like I was as a preteen. It takes a lot of courage to tell your devout, evangelical family, that you don't believe their religion is true. You could face backlash or persistent demands to get the devil out of you or people trying to blame every negative thing that happens in your life on your lack of religion, while also saying every negative thing that happens in their own lives are due to "god's will" lol.
Did you read the Old or New Testament (Gospels of Christ), or both?
When you read the Old Testament (Which is basically same as the Jewish holy books) you may find it somewhat boring and untrue, but then when you read from Christ' birth to resurrection, you will love it.

Try going to different churches to see what you like. I myself like the Orthodox Churches.

Sorry but you are lost and misguided. 10 years old is not old enough do deny Jesus Christ. Read more books about him and watch movies, such as Passion of the Christ.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
When you read the Old Testament (Which is basically same as the Jewish holy books) you may find it somewhat boring and untrue, but then when you read from Christ' birth to resurrection, you will love it.
What do you mean by boring and untrue? You are aware Jesus read from the Tanakh right?

Quote:

Sorry but you are lost and misguided. 10 years old is not old enough do deny Jesus Christ. Read more books about him and watch movies, such as Passion of the Christ.
It's not? Well considering Fundies start brainwashing 5 year olds to accept Christ as their Savior, not sure why 10 is too young.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:

In reality, its more like the wealthier one is, the less likely they are to believe in religion, especially if that wealth was inherited rather than earned i.e. growing up overindulged in excesses like the current generation currently in their 20s were. It happens that there is a correlation between wealth and education. It's not universal, as there are religious people who are very wealthy and non-religious people who are less-wealthy, but its a general correlation.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's not? Well considering Fundies start brainwashing 5 year olds to accept Christ as their Savior, not sure why 10 is too young.
How can somebody force you to believe anything? God knows your mind on every human in this Earth.
You may be forced to go to church on a Sunday or holiday, but if inside you don't like it, or don't believe anything about Christianity then you will not enter kingdom of heaven and paradise.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but fundamentalist Christianity isn't "fake" Christianity any more than Christianity itself is fake. It's the religious subgroup that actually listens to your holy book, or at least parts of it.

For example, your holy book tells you to burn a priest's daughter at the stake if she is a *****. Not even Christian fundies would do this. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most fundies haven't actually read the Bible front to back. It's apparently the most important and brilliant work of literature ever conceived and the key to humanity's eternal salvation, but few Christians think it important enough to read. I've read enough in a single summer to finish the Bible multiple times. And the books I read are for fun, not for the salvation of the human race.
Did you get to the part where the earth is to be destroyed by fire. If you did, then you know, we don't survive in the end. It doesn't matter who you are or what you believe in. Take that and then look into our sciences at the earths weakening magnetic fields and to be honest that makes all arguments in life a little bit less important. Fighting over land, what land, that in the end goes up in a puff of smoke.

Honestly, I never, nor do I expect I ever will, get people and what the deem to be so important for themselves.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:

Try going to different churches to see what you like. I myself like the Orthodox Churches.

OR she could just be happy where she is.

Non-believers don't have to be converted. I know its hard for some to imagine but some people don't need religion at all.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:

You are pretty hilarious!!

I said I read the Bible. I read the whole thing. All of it was unbelievable and ridiculous IMO. I don't like to say that because it offends people, but it is the truth. For me, it is ridiculous that people believe it.

It is very contradictory and hypocritical, also very demeaning to women, even in the NT.

I have also read the Bible off and on many times over the course of my life. I think it is more ridiculous now than I did when I was 10 since I am more able to be an active reader and think about things metaphorically.

FWIW, I do think the Bible is an interesting collection of stories. But to me, they are no different than Greek or Roman mythology stories or the Egyptian Book of the Dead. All of those are interesting, Greek and Roman mythologies, and the Book of the Dead are actually WAY more interesting and exciting IMO than the Bible.

I've also read the Koran/Qu'Ran and various other texts from Hinduism and Buddhism and various Bahai sacred texts as well. Religion is an interesting subject, but none of it is for me.

I have probably read and seen more movies about Christ than you have seen. I come from a VERY religious family and was made to watch many religious movies over the years and went to many VBSs (vacation bible schools) where I was kicked out of class for "thinking too much" lol. I have also seen the Passion and have even been to Passion plays. They do not speak to me in any way. I don't need to believe in all that. Not my thing and I am fine with my life and don't worry about dying. Too many people are too focused on death, many of them don't live their lives due to their faith in an "afterlife." I feel bad for them

Oh, and what do you feel about "child preachers" who are "called" to tell god's word in Christian churches across this country as a 3 year old. I saw a story recently about a boy in NJ who was a preacher, preaching services. He is 10. Do you feel that he is too young to be able to be so devoted to his religion?

I do. I can admit as a 10 year old, I was very immature. I was a child. Like bible says, "when I became a man (insert woman), I put away childish things." For me, the childish thing was thinking I needed to be a Christian to be a good, fulfilled person.

One of my favorite authors - James Baldwin, was a child preacher. When he grew up, he let go of religion, so I do agree that little kids are not capable of making any sort of religious conversions or convictions, which is why I re-read the Bible as an adult, about 20 or so. And I read it probably every 2-3 years now to this day. I'm 33 now, just so when people want to argue with me about religion, I can counter attack them, with their own texts so that they will know, I'm not someone who came to my conclusions lightly or just because of some evil liberal atheist teacher or something lol. I came to it because I thought about it as a logical, adult. And I am not one to believe something just because someone (like mom, dad, grandma) tells me to. I also don't believe everything I read. I'll leave you with one of my favorite Buddhist quotes:

Quote:
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
You are pretty hilarious!!

I said I read the Bible. I read the whole thing. All of it was unbelievable and ridiculous IMO. I don't like to say that because it offends people, but it is the truth. For me, it is ridiculous that people believe it.

It is very contradictory and hypocritical, also very demeaning to women, even in the NT.

I have also read the Bible off and on many times over the course of my life. I think it is more ridiculous now than I did when I was 10 since I am more able to be an active reader and think about things metaphorically.

FWIW, I do think the Bible is an interesting collection of stories. But to me, they are no different than Greek or Roman mythology stories or the Egyptian Book of the Dead. All of those are interesting, Greek and Roman mythologies, and the Book of the Dead are actually WAY more interesting and exciting IMO than the Bible.

I've also read the Koran/Qu'Ran and various other texts from Hinduism and Buddhism and various Bahai sacred texts as well. Religion is an interesting subject, but none of it is for me.

I have probably read and seen more movies about Christ than you have seen. I come from a VERY religious family and was made to watch many religious movies over the years and went to many VBSs (vacation bible schools) where I was kicked out of class for "thinking too much" lol. I have also seen the Passion and have even been to Passion plays. They do not speak to me in any way. I don't need to believe in all that. Not my thing and I am fine with my life and don't worry about dying. Too many people are too focused on death, many of them don't live their lives due to their faith in an "afterlife." I feel bad for them

Oh, and what do you feel about "child preachers" who are "called" to tell god's word in Christian churches across this country as a 3 year old. I saw a story recently about a boy in NJ who was a preacher, preaching services. He is 10. Do you feel that he is too young to be able to be so devoted to his religion?

I do. I can admit as a 10 year old, I was very immature. I was a child. Like bible says, "when I became a man (insert woman), I put away childish things." For me, the childish thing was thinking I needed to be a Christian to be a good, fulfilled person.

One of my favorite authors - James Baldwin, was a child preacher. When he grew up, he let go of religion, so I do agree that little kids are not capable of making any sort of religious conversions or convictions, which is why I re-read the Bible as an adult, about 20 or so. And I read it probably every 2-3 years now to this day. I'm 33 now, just so when people want to argue with me about religion, I can counter attack them, with their own texts so that they will know, I'm not someone who came to my conclusions lightly or just because of some evil liberal atheist teacher or something lol. I came to it because I thought about it as a logical, adult. And I am not one to believe something just because someone (like mom, dad, grandma) tells me to. I also don't believe everything I read. I'll leave you with one of my favorite Buddhist quotes:
Interesting.

I didn't come to know God by reading about Him in a book. I guess, that's a good thing.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies