Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Sad this thread has denigrated into African americans vs Africans.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, you also have to look at HISTORY, and the things that have happened. That is one thing I notice you are not looking at in depth. Judging by what African-Americans have been through, one should consider it amazing that so many things were accomplished.

Today is different from yesterday. For instance, Dunbar High School in DC, back in the early 20th century. It was considered one of the best high schools for Black students. There is a link below to show you.

Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"

Another question is this. What happened post-1970. What happened to the culture since 1970?

This is what I see in you. You only look at this from a "matter of fact" point of view. You aren't looking at any of the factors that go into this. African-American culture was formed as a result of having their African culture stripped from them, essentially being Americanized in the worst ways. In fact, what some people call today's "authentic Black culture" is not really authentic Black culture. It descended from redneck culture in the South.

Thomas Sowell: Black rednecks and white liberals
Agreed. "keeping it real" Black "culture" IS pretty much PWT culture.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Well, ask yourself this. Where did the "crab in the bucket" mentality come from? Where did the "keep it real" attitude come from? And why is it more active in men? Alot of questions you need to ask and think about.
I'll take a shot at it here: maybe it STILL is a part of the "plantation and slave" thing. The men were working in the fields but the women were working with the "massa" and his family so they learned more civil ways of doing things and that carries to 2012.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:05 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. "keeping it real" Black "culture" IS pretty much PWT culture.
This is pretty much what I've tried to explain. African-Americans who have achieved higher levels of education have dumped that culture. Those who haven't have not only held onto it, but it has incubated and continued over and over. What is scary is that people who adhere to such a destructive culture will try and influence other Black kids. One way is by teasing Black kids who seek education, who can speak proper English, who are into things that aren't considered part of Black culture. Kids get teased with epithets such as "Black on the outside,White on the inside", "acting White" and other things. I've experienced it for myself. I've been one of those Black kids made fun of for "acting White", and not just by Black kids. Some White kids have done this too.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'll take a shot at it here: maybe it STILL is a part of the "plantation and slave" thing. The men were working in the fields but the women were working with the "massa" and his family so they learned more civil ways of doing things and that carries to 2012.
I don't think this is the case. Some of this has been somewhat recent(like around the 1970s).

Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And so has Mitt Romney. If you don't believe it then I would suggest that you read up on the history of what Mormons REALLY think about Black people.

(but I'm quite certain that you won't)
I believe they have changed what they believed about black people. One can change their beliefs.. I know there are racist whites but I don't know any personally.

I know many years ago when I was young I met a boy who had some issues with racism and I told him off.

I have in my life run into blacks who hated me for just being white and I didn't do a thing to them . I was attacked years ago when they integrated blacks and whites in school back in the 60's. I didn't understand it then and still don't understand attacking someone because of their race or color. White or black.

I don't understand why blacks kill each other in gangs . I blame MTV for the music , the rappers who spread hate and division. One has to feed on good things, not garbage ..

The world is crazy today and full of poison. Some people never question what they believe and why they believe it. Is it poison or is it good. If it is harmful to society or not. Bitter, resentful or racist people who feed others their beliefs should be stopped in their tracks.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Sad this thread has denigrated into African americans vs Africans.
What else do you expect, this is the Po&OC forum?!

Anyways, here's my 2 cents.

Marcus Garvey was Jamaican and he corresponded with Booker T. Washington who was African American.

Another colleague of Garvey, was Dusé Mohamed Ali who was of Egyptian & Sudanese descent.

And for West Indians, Malcolm X's mother was from Grenada, Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Ture, was a major figure of the CRM and black power movement.

The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture is named after Arthur Schomburg, who was of Puerto Rican (& West Indian, if memory serves me correct) descent.

Piri Thomas won acclaim for writing about his experiences as a mulato Puerto Rican dealing with racism in pre Civil Rights America.

Before Jesse Jackson made his unsuccessful Presidential bid; Shirley Chisholm, of West Indian descent, became the 1st Presidential candidate of African descent for a major party; while Barack Obama, of Kenyan ancestry, made history lo those 4 novembers ago.

Now its true that recent immigrants and their children might have different points of view & perspectives than someone of fully American slave descent, but people of African descent who were not descendants of American slaves have been at the forefront of ensuring all Americans have a shot at Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness!!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
It's possible to become successful and still uphold black culture and heritage. One can still "keep it real" while getting a real education. Let's stop spreading the lies of how the two must contradict each other.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
This is pretty much what I've tried to explain. African-Americans who have achieved higher levels of education have dumped that culture. Those who haven't have not only held onto it, but it has incubated and continued over and over. What is scary is that people who adhere to such a destructive culture will try and influence other Black kids. One way is by teasing Black kids who seek education, who can speak proper English, who are into things that aren't considered part of Black culture. Kids get teased with epithets such as "Black on the outside,White on the inside", "acting White" and other things. I've experienced it for myself. I've been one of those Black kids made fun of for "acting White", and not just by Black kids. Some White kids have done this too.
There's also been a general rise of anti-intellectualism in the general culture, and there is a growing divide between those who encourage it and those who don't. This has always been there, but among the cultural descendents of the 'rednecks' it had found firm ground. There is also a rejection of scientific thought over theology. The method is not by rejecting education, but by taking it over to reflect only what fits the mantra. Since nerds have pretty much claimed the term, its pretty much been disarmed, but the bullying problem on schools has continued to grow, and its not the 'normal' ones who get bullied.

Could this be part of a general rise of less tolerance of those who are 'different' in society as a whole? Or those who ask questions that you don't agree with as overall American culture is fragmenting into 'your group'?

Many of the same phenomona are showing up in both the white and black lower economic groups as well, teen pregnancies being the most notable, and boys who see no need to take responsibility.

So what is it in the culture which is trigering this shift?

Sad things for the kids who reject education, of any color, is that for those without, who won't take responsibility, its going to be the down elevator, and there comes a point in life when you can't go back and make up.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
What else do you expect, this is the Po&OC forum?!

Anyways, here's my 2 cents.

Marcus Garvey was Jamaican and he corresponded with Booker T. Washington who was African American.

Another colleague of Garvey, was Dusé Mohamed Ali who was of Egyptian & Sudanese descent.

And for West Indians, Malcolm X's mother was from Grenada, Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Ture, was a major figure of the CRM and black power movement.

The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture is named after Arthur Schomburg, who was of Puerto Rican (& West Indian, if memory serves me correct) descent.

Piri Thomas won acclaim for writing about his experiences as a mulato Puerto Rican dealing with racism in pre Civil Rights America.

Before Jesse Jackson made his unsuccessful Presidential bid; Shirley Chisholm, of West Indian descent, became the 1st Presidential candidate of African descent for a major party; while Barack Obama, of Kenyan ancestry, made history lo those 4 novembers ago.

Now its true that recent immigrants and their children might have different points of view & perspectives than someone of fully American slave descent, but people of African descent who were not descendants of American slaves have been at the forefront of ensuring all Americans have a shot at Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness!!
Someone knows their history although Duse is not pictured below. Just showing how free Africans have been here long before the CRA

Ligue Universelle pour la Défense de la Race Noire (1924) | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies