Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You're right that Africans would have been subjected to anti-Black attitudes of the time. The difference is we would have kept persevering and not allowed our culture and humanity to be dehumanized as a result. Just because someone thinks you're an animal doesn't mean you act like one.
The difference is that even under colonialism, Africans didn't have their entire culture extinguished from them. African-Americans had their culture, their language, EVERYTHING, taken away from them, they were shipped to the USA, enslaved for over 200 years, and then subjected to Jim Crow policies for almost 100 years. That is the difference. And even then, alot of African-Americans kept persevering. When slavery ended, alot of former slaves went out, and tried to learn how to read because they knew that education was the key to their future. You act as if Black people in America have't been trying, but you really do not understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, African-Americans had their cultures from West Africa stripped and taken from them. They came to this nation in chains, broken, and enslaved. They literally had to start from scratch. African-Americans do have a culture. We came up with jazz, blues, and R&B. We have great writers like Richard Wright, Ralph Ellison, Zora Neale Hurston, Octavia Butler, and great intellectuals like Cornel West and W.E.B. DuBois. The bad things that exist in African-American culture come as a product of the bad that has happened.

Every culture produces a group of talented people however in judging a culture you have to take into account the masses.

So let's look at today for example. Black students are doing so horribly in schools that states are now setting up guidelines of achievement that are about half of what they expect from White and Asian students. This to me is not a signal of a great culture but one staring at the abyss. How are these kids going to compete in a knowledge based economy? What are they going to do when SCOTUS strikes down Affrimative Action? Complain and whine go on the dole? What happens when the dole is reduced? Back to the fields?

I mean I know my views are unpopular but I'm a realist. The African American community is staring at some dark days ahead if it doesn't address these social ills quickly.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The difference is that even under colonialism, Africans didn't have their entire culture extinguished from them. African-Americans had their culture, their language, EVERYTHING, taken away from them, they were shipped to the USA, enslaved for over 200 years, and then subjected to Jim Crow policies for almost 100 years. That is the difference. And even then, alot of African-Americans kept persevering. When slavery ended, alot of former slaves went out, and tried to learn how to read because they knew that education was the key to their future. You act as if Black people in America have't been trying, but you really do not understand.
I don't dispute this but you do realize that even during this period the African American community had the hallmarks of what a normal functioning community should have. Stable families, Black illegitimacy rates were around 10-20% from slavery through to the 60s. Blacks actually owned a tremendous amount of land during this time and there was a significant educated middle class that was dependent more on private enterprise than probably today.

Also more importantly there wasn't this negative attitude towards education back then as we see today from many Blacks. Speaking well and being presentable weren't "white" things. They were things respectable people did. Now Black kids play dumb to be cool. This to me is very sad.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't dispute this but you do realize that even during this period the African American community had the hallmarks of what a normal functioning community should have. Stable families, Black illegitimacy rates were around 10-20% from slavery through to the 60s. Blacks actually owned a tremendous amount of land during this time and there was a significant educated middle class that was dependent more on private enterprise than probably today.

Also more importantly there wasn't this negative attitude towards education back then as we see today from many Blacks. Speaking well and being presentable weren't "white" things. They were things respectable people did. Now Black kids play dumb to be cool. This to me is very sad.
I can't Rep you but you're right.

The worst thing is many Black dudes, not so much the ladies, wanting to "keep it real". I swear the Klan today ain't white; they're "Black" because of the "crab pot" attitude. Sheesh!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Every culture produces a group of talented people however in judging a culture you have to take into account the masses.

So let's look at today for example. Black students are doing so horribly in schools that states are now setting up guidelines of achievement that are about half of what they expect from White and Asian students. This to me is not a signal of a great culture but one staring at the abyss. How are these kids going to compete in a knowledge based economy? What are they going to do when SCOTUS strikes down Affrimative Action? Complain and whine go on the dole? What happens when the dole is reduced? Back to the fields?

I mean I know my views are unpopular but I'm a realist. The African American community is staring at some dark days ahead if it doesn't address these social ills quickly.
Well, you also have to look at HISTORY, and the things that have happened. That is one thing I notice you are not looking at in depth. Judging by what African-Americans have been through, one should consider it amazing that so many things were accomplished.

Today is different from yesterday. For instance, Dunbar High School in DC, back in the early 20th century. It was considered one of the best high schools for Black students. There is a link below to show you.

Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"

Another question is this. What happened post-1970. What happened to the culture since 1970?

This is what I see in you. You only look at this from a "matter of fact" point of view. You aren't looking at any of the factors that go into this. African-American culture was formed as a result of having their African culture stripped from them, essentially being Americanized in the worst ways. In fact, what some people call today's "authentic Black culture" is not really authentic Black culture. It descended from redneck culture in the South.

Thomas Sowell: Black rednecks and white liberals

Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Again, this brings me to another question that I want you to think about and answer. What happened after 1970 to have the illegitimacy rate to skyrocket and for the idea of education being seen as "white" to happen? These are factors you need to think. Before one says anything, one needs to think about the factors of what happened?

And one thing you are wrong about is this. Blacks have a higher percentage of its population in the middle class now than in 1950.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I can't Rep you but you're right.

The worst thing is many Black dudes, not so much the ladies, wanting to "keep it real". I swear the Klan today ain't white; they're "Black" because of the "crab pot" attitude. Sheesh!
Well, ask yourself this. Where did the "crab in the bucket" mentality come from? Where did the "keep it real" attitude come from? And why is it more active in men? Alot of questions you need to ask and think about.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM

67 posts, read 126,417 times
The funny thing is that these ideas of being black on the outside and white on the inside almost always come out the the mouths of democrats and liberals.

If you are a darker skinned fellow in this country you had better be a democrat otherwise people will think you're acting white and call you a sell out, and and an idiot, uncle tom, or just uneducated about whats happening.

That just tells me that dark folks are not aloud to think freely in this country still. The social consequences of doing so results in being thought of as being white.

Remember that the Republican party was born and started specifically to FREE the slaves. The Democrats started the KKK specifically the discourage black voters from voting Republican and to kill white Republicans that were fighting to free slaves.

Im not sure when Democrats got to be so lucky to receive the votes of minorities in this country being that historically they are the most racist organization this country has ever seen.

Yours truly,
A man of color/uncle tom/house *****/uneducated/must be confused and still not free to think

Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullo View Post
The funny thing is that these ideas of being black on the outside and white on the inside almost always come out the the mouths of democrats and liberals.

If you are a darker skinned fellow in this country you had better be a democrat otherwise people will think you're acting white and call you a sell out, and and an idiot, uncle tom, or just uneducated about whats happening.

That just tells me that dark folks are not aloud to think freely in this country still. The social consequences of doing so results in being thought of as being white.

Remember that the Republican party was born and started specifically to FREE the slaves. The Democrats started the KKK specifically the discourage black voters from voting Republican and to kill white Republicans that were fighting to free slaves.

Im not sure when Democrats got to be so lucky to receive the votes of minorities in this country being that historically they are the most racist organization this country has ever seen.

Yours truly,
A man of color/uncle tom/house *****/uneducated/must be confused and still not free to think
Dem calls out Dem party for being intolerant

The Democratic Party has lost its mind and its way | Fox News

Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
Quote:
LOL you people are so ignorant of your history it really is sad. Obama's dad went to the University of Hawaii 3 years before the CRA passed. So African Americans had something to do with that? Kwame Nkrumah studied at Lincoln University in the 40s. I mean I hate to break it you but at the end of the day even during segregation folks are more into how you carried yourself and what you bring to the table. I think this is being lost among many African Americans who seem to think the world is against them merely for being Black.

My dad was admitted to a school, which he never completed BTW because of his talents. Blacks were going to schools long before him so I'm not seeing the "blacks died for your dad" analogy. It's tenous at best. Lots of people died for a lot of reasons that go into shaping our world today, African Americans included.
I am aware that some immigrants were granted student visas prior to the passage of the CRA, but they were much less than what is given out today. If you dad came after the passage, he benefitted from it. And you can keep on believing that people who "carried themselves" in a certain way would be treated differently prior to the end of legal segregation in this country. Lots of black men especially who were educated and/or successful business men were killed for being "uppity" and their property stolen by whites in the south. Education and a suit were by no means an acceptance for someone who was black. You had to keep your place and I'm sure the Africans who came here as well as other international students, did keep their place amongst the whites if they were in places that were hostile to outsiders. Keeping ones place could mean being ridiculed on a daily basis.

It is a good thing you have no knowledge of this though. It means that the long, hard fought quest for civil rights for all Americans has in fact occurred.

And FWIW, UH has a history of diversity so I doubt that they would have denied Obama Sr. admission solely based on blackness, even though they do not have a large black student body to this day. And Lincoln is an HBCU. HBCUs would of course let Africans come to their facilities. And FWIW in regards to Nkrumah, if I remember correctly and will check with the wiki to validate, he had to get a student visa in England, not in his home country, more than likely because the U.S. wouldn't let Africans get student visas at the time. This was more than likely the same for Obama Sr. He probably applied to get a visa in England versus Kenya as he would not have had the opportunity to do so in Africa.

Today Africans can apply in Africa, Asians in Asia, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies