Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,597,071 times

Advertisements

I don't say taxes are theft, but if you don't see a difference between that and profit, your time may be better spent with a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,062 times
How can one survive without spending money?

Taxes benefit society as a whole. You see a return.

Whether you want to bring up economic theories or not, the fact still remains that profit is theft.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,120,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
businesses earn profit, government does NOT earn taxes.
So you're saying a company working out of Somalia has just as good a chance of success as a company working out of the US?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How can one survive without spending money?

Taxes benefit society as a whole. You see a return.

Whether you want to bring up economic theories or not, the fact still remains that profit is theft.
so what you are saying is that if i were to make a product and sell it on the open market, i should sell for just enough to cover the production of said product? what about my labor in making the item? and what happens if i an just covering costs, and my costs go up slightly? how many times would i be ale to raise my prices when my costs go up before consumers buying my product decide they have had enough, and go to a competitor? on the other hand, if i sell the item for a reasonable mark up, so that i return a profit, when my costs go up slightly, i can keep my price the same and find other ways to lower costs if need be.

profit is not theft, taxes are not theft. however profits are EARNED, where as taxes are TAKEN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So you're saying a company working out of Somalia has just as good a chance of success as a company working out of the US?
that depends on the regulations, tax code, labor issues, etc.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,120,508 times
Quote:

I'll answer that for you... Somalia has none of them.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM

78,543 posts, read 60,737,570 times
This thread reminds me of the irony of some user names.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Regarded as theft by whom?

A seriously flawed argument. Government forces people to pay taxes. A business does not force the consumer to purchase a product. One is mandatory while the other is voluntary. What's more, profit is the only way a business makes money. If there isn't profit after a business has recouped expenses, then it might as well not operate in the first place. Something tells me you need to go back to school and study economics rather than political science.
Something tells me your use of 'study' in this case is liberally applied... no pun intended. Okay, maybe a little.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,113 times
Quote:
Libertarians say tax is theft, but they support the free market. What they fail to realize is that the free market runs on one principle: Profit. Profit is theoretically theft. According to natural law, to exceed income to expenditure, is a form of gimmick. This could be regarded as theft.

You can't have it both ways.
Probably the same thing as PRO being the opposite of CON, does that mean CONGRESS is the opposite of PROGRESS

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,139,639 times
Quote:
the fact still remains that profit is theft.
No. You're simply wrong. I mean really wrong. So wrong that your teachers, if you've ever had any, would be so embarrassed that they'd likely quit their jobs if they ever read this thread.

theft
n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale).

Please explain how by my going to Wal*Mart and buying a bottle of Windex, Wal*Mart has committed that crime.

You've easily won the "dumbest post of the week" and "dumbest post of the month" awards, and you have a hell of a chance at "dumbest post of the year." Congratulations.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,062 times
Quote:
so what you are saying is that if i were to make a product and sell it on the open market, i should sell for just enough to cover the production of said product? what about my labor in making the item? and what happens if i an just covering costs, and my costs go up slightly? how many times would i be ale to raise my prices when my costs go up before consumers buying my product decide they have had enough, and go to a competitor? on the other hand, if i sell the item for a reasonable mark up, so that i return a profit, when my costs go up slightly, i can keep my price the same and find other ways to lower costs if need be.

profit is not theft, taxes are not theft. however profits are EARNED, where as taxes are TAKEN.

You're not understanding what I'm saying.

Creating a profit margin is theft because you are expecting more in revenue than what it cost you to produce. That's duping someone. I'm not saying I'm against profit. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of those who label taxation theft when they have no problem with the profit motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies