Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're saying you never heard of Jack Welch, former CEO of GE ?
And you come here commenting on economic data points ?

That says alot about your knowledge of Wall Street and economic issues.
That's not entirely fair. Welch retired quite some time ago and he never was a particularly well-respected CEO, particularly on the East coast.
I think many more people associate GE with the current guy (Immelt) if they think about GE at all. The company has no where near the brand recognition or loyalty now that it did back in the day.
It doesn't surprise me at all people haven't heard of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That's not entirely fair. Welch retired quite some time ago and he never was a particularly well-respected CEO, particularly on the East coast.
I think many more people associate GE with the current guy (Immelt) if they think about GE at all. The company has no where near the brand recognition or loyalty now that it did back in the day.
It doesn't surprise me at all people haven't heard of him.
and Rockefeller sold his bank off to JPMorgan some time ago but anyone who follows finances knows about him.

People that superficially follow economics/finance wouldn't know these guys.
But folks that read WSJ, Barrons, etc. would.

And that's why most economic/finance threads in the POC forum go off on tangents due to superficial knowledge.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 AM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
No, but CA being the most liberal, most pro-Obama, it does provide fodder for the election speculation about getting the ducks all lined up in favor of Obama.

And you have to admit that we've had several "unexpectedly really good" reports come out in the past week on economic data.
Economic analysts are trying to figure out why. Gas is high, food is high, etc. They are looking for what sparked these great numbers.

Well, we did anticipate seeing reports like this quite a while ago to show up about this time..

Last edited by bluesjuke; 10-13-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
and Rockefeller sold his bank off to JPMorgan some time ago but anyone who follows finances knows about him.

And that's why most economic/finance threads in the POC forum go off on tangents due to superficial knowledge.
Rockefeller is a whole different animal. People know of the name because that's where the big Christmas tree is every year, but more than that? I'm betting not much.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:

The name 'Rockefeller' is practically a slang term for wealth, and business, and politics. The name 'Welch' ? Jelly and juice.

IMO, knocking someone who doesn't know the name Jack Welch, or implying economic sense is dependent upon knowing who he is, is the tangent.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default New York Times and LA Times

I don't believe it until I see it in the NYC Times and the LA Times , where do you get these way out internet blog's from anyways......

Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Jobless Claims : They forgot to include California!!!

My, oh my...

An administration that will lie about the death of our Ambassador thinks nothing of lying about the jobs report.
Another day, another completely made up lie out of BreitBart. Don't you guys ever get embarassed about falling for every lie, every time? At some point we just have to conclude you're either not very bright or you enjoy being lied to.

Any way, I'm sure we can rely upon our local RWNJ to continually make baseless threads about completely made up lies. Can't we, highcotton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies