Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that I don't "get" politics. Never have, and probably never will, either. I am not apathetic in the least. It is just that life continues on regardless of who is in the Oval Office and I have never blamed my successes and failures, happiness and pessimism, on any one particular President. I have lived under Conservative Presidents and Democrat Presidents (anyone who thinks that Clinton and Obama are Liberals either do not understand the meaning of the word, or are fooling themselves/toeing-the-line. Carter was the last Liberal President) and my life, as well as those around me that I knew, were not affected. I understand that each President, and/or Party, brings with it particular nuances that may affect the moods of certain demographics (tax shelters for the rich and business owners, more/less spending on social programs, abortion, women's and gay rights, etc.), but life goes on and these are social issues (aside from taxation) that should not be regulated by any particular elected official, and, for the most part, are not.

I also never understood people who toe-the-line and adhere to one brand of politics/Party. Realistically, people are more towards the center if they are honest with themselves. Regardless of who wins the Presidential election, regardless of how different their views are from yours, the World will not end, the sky will not fall, and we'll have the chance to do our civic duty again in another four years. Different thoughts and ideas are what make this country awesome. I have [good] friends who are Republican, Democrat, none-of-the-above, vegans, hunters, gay, straight, lesbian, and the list goes on. I don't define them by who they vote for. Seek out someone with a different political ideology from you, shake their hand, and thank them for enjoying freedom. We each need to realize that after the voting, we still live and work together, and if we don't choose peace within ourselves and for ourselves, no President or Government is going to choose it for us. (mic drops and hits the floor with a loud thud)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have to admit that I don't "get" politics. Never have, and probably never will, either. I am not apathetic in the least. It is just that life continues on regardless of who is in the Oval Office and I have never blamed my successes and failures, happiness and pessimism, on any one particular President. I have lived under Conservative Presidents and Democrat Presidents (anyone who thinks that Clinton and Obama are Liberals either do not understand the meaning of the word, or are fooling themselves/toeing-the-line. Carter was the last Liberal President) and my life, as well as those around me that I knew, were not affected. I understand that each President, and/or Party, brings with it particular nuances that may affect the moods of certain demographics (tax shelters for the rich and business owners, more/less spending on social programs, abortion, women's and gay rights, etc.), but life goes on and these are social issues (aside from taxation) that should not be regulated by any particular elected official, and, for the most part, are not.

I also never understood people who toe-the-line and adhere to one brand of politics/Party. Realistically, people are more towards the center if they are honest with themselves. Regardless of who wins the Presidential election, regardless of how different their views are from yours, the World will not end, the sky will not fall, and we'll have the chance to do our civic duty again in another four years. Different thoughts and ideas are what make this country awesome. I have [good] friends who are Republican, Democrat, none-of-the-above, vegans, hunters, gay, straight, lesbian, and the list goes on. I don't define them by who they vote for. Seek out someone with a different political ideology from you, shake their hand, and thank them for enjoying freedom. We each need to realize that after the voting, we still live and work together, and if we don't choose peace within ourselves and for ourselves, no President or Government is going to choose it for us. (mic drops and hits the floor with a loud thud)
Most of us try to live our lives without government intrusion. The purpose of government is to protect it's citizens from foreign invasion and to create a good atmasphere where can go about our business working, making money for ourselves and to provide for our families, saving what we can for our retirement. It is not government's business to intrude in the way we live or work. That is when government becames just as bad as a foreign intrusion. This is the biggest danger we face today, -government intrusion. As the great Pres. Ronald Reagan said: 'Government is not the solution, government is the problem'. We fight government intrusion at the ballot box. You must keep yourself informed of the issues facing us today, -not just from the mainstream media, but from conservative media and websites as well. This is the only way you can be truely informed and to make intelligent decisions at the ballot box. k:

Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Most of us try to live our lives without government intrusion. The purpose of government is to protect it's citizens from foreign invasion and to create a good atmasphere where can go about our business working, making money for ourselves and to provide for our families, saving what we can for our retirement. It is not government's business to intrude in the way we live or work. That is when government becames just as bad as a foreign intrusion. This is the biggest danger we face today, -government intrusion. As the great Pres. Ronald Reagan said: 'Government is not the solution, government is the problem'. We fight government intrusion at the ballot box. You must keep yourself informed of the issues facing us today, -not just from the mainstream media, but from conservative media and websites as well. This is the only way you can be truely informed and to make intelligent decisions at the ballot box. k:

Wrong!

The job of our government is to protect our individual freedoms under the US Constitution. Period.
Nothing else!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Yeah life goes on...until it doesn't. Consider that our national debt is now $16 trillion. Due to the '47%' phenom. there are now only about 80 million who are federal income taxpayers, so the debt per taxpayer is about $200,000.

Perhaps not yet utterly intolerable since many people have mortgages of $200,000 or more. But mortgages are paid down, while there is no end in sight to debt growth. What happens if we have 4 more years of $trillion deficits and the debt hits $20 trillion? Baby boomers are starting to retire, and the 80 million base is getting ever more narrow. Already the top 20% pay 70 percent of federal income taxes.

What tends to happen to a tower when you add more & more weight up top, while shaving the base to make it more & more narrow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies