Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama always talks about how he can take credit for increasing domestic oil and gas production but Obama's administration put into effect yet another new regulation making it harder for America's oil and gas companies to increase production.

Govn Romney is right on the permits on federal land, Obama leases DOWN 42%. Oil and gas production on federal land, production is down. Within the industry Obama took away the drilling industries AND decreasing production.

Obama is NOT looking for more gas production, Obama is looking for more wind and solar with money taken from oil and gas.

And gas prices will continue to increase.
wind power from the left's hot air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times

Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,197 times
Quote:
Obama always talks about how he can take credit for increasing domestic oil and gas production but Obama's administration put into effect yet another new regulation making it harder for America's oil and gas companies to increase production.

Govn Romney is right on the permits on federal land, Obama leases DOWN 42%. Oil and gas production on federal land, production is down. Within the industry Obama took away the drilling industries AND decreasing production.

Obama is NOT looking for more gas production, Obama is looking for more wind and solar with money taken from oil and gas.

Do you understand that no matter how much oil and gas is pumped out of the ground, its NOT going to change gas prices dramatically? You do realize that even if production goes up by alot that domestic and worldwide consumption is ALSO GOING UP by alot too? The point is you can't drill your way to low energy prices and even if you could it would only be a temporary drop in prices.

I hear Americans complaining EVERYDAY about gas prices, yet at the same time so many of these same Americans drive huge gas guzzling SUVs and pickups and have a lead foot and bad driving skills. How about CHANGING YOUR HABITS AND THE WAY YOU THINK?

I currently drive a hybrid and I'm a hypermiler in that my driving habits are geared towards maximizing fuel efficiency and guess what? I fill up once in a blue moon and the increase in gas prices isn't hurting my wallet much. Instead of constantly bitching about high gas prices, many Americans could EASILY just buy more fuel efficient cars and at the very least change their driving habits that needlessly waste gas.

If Americans are either too stupid or are so unwilling to adapt to save money let alone save the environment, then I say SCREW THEM and I hope gas prices go even higher until people realize that our levels of consumption can't be sustained forever.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Do you understand that no matter how much oil and gas is pumped out of the ground, its NOT going to change gas prices dramatically? You do realize that even if production goes up by alot that domestic and worldwide consumption is ALSO GOING UP by alot too? The point is you can't drill your way to low energy prices and even if you could it would only be a temporary drop in prices.
Moreover, the government doesn't decide how much is pumped. That's up to oil companies who have no interest in pumping more just to lower prices for consumers. They rather have lower extraction and higher prices.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So if you spent $100 a week on gas, how exactly do you cut the gas consumption by 367%? Are you now receiving $267 in free gas that you werent before?

Good call! I reduced my gas consumption by 72%. My former consumption is 367% of my current consumption.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions

Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:

Maybe you can explain to me why you believe any oil company would go to the trouble and expense to drill more oil so that they can sell you gasoline at a lower price.

Do you think anybody really believes that is how business works?

If you want lower prices at the pump you need pictures of the CEO of one of the companies naked with his girl friend. Anybody who can't afford gas needs to get a better education and a job that pays more and quit whining and looking for a handout.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
gas prices were this high back in 2008 fwiw. I was paying over $4 a gallon in the summer of 2008. its not like the prices have only been this high while Obama has been in office
The gas prices would be this high if Jesus Christ was elected President. The rest of the world is now using more oil than they ever have before, and both China and India have one billion more people than we have. The United States is a distant 3rd in population, but we used over 18 billion barrels of oil a day, compared to 8 billion daily in China and 4 billion daily in India.

Consumption > Oil statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

There is no way the Chinese or the Indians will not buy cars as soon as they can. Brazil is not far behind. All are nations that cover large geographic areas. All have growing economies.

Oil companies are not going to flood their market. it makes perfect sense to ration their known supply carefully for as long as they can. That's called staying in business. Oil flows to those most willing to pay the price for full supply, period. If we don't pay up, there are billions of others who will.

This is the reality of the 21st century. Get used to it, because $4.00 gas is the reality. All the wishful thinking in the world will not change the realities.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,655 times
but banjo, my car doesn't run on WIND POWER damn it!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
Looks like "Talk about gas prices" was the Rightie Talking Point Memo Of The Day. I'll quote myself from another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Gas is a worldwide commodity, traded on the global market. Global demand has risen astronomically in the last decade. It's supply is dictated by an international cartel, and inflated by commodity traders. It is not subject to the standard economic "rules" of supply and demand like most products.

The US is a net EXPORTER of gas now. There is no shortage of it in the US or on the World Market. The policies of the past 4 years aren't some new, horrible thing driving up prices.

China, a known currency manipulator, is gobbling up as much oil as possible and more and more of their billion citizens move from horse carts to modern transportation.

You can keep thinking that this is all the fault of "poor policies of our current administration" but you'd be incredibly short sighted.

You can even vote in some 'drill baby drill" Republicans if you want, let me know how that works out for you.

In 100 years when the sands of the Middle East run out of oil, when Canada's tar sands and shale have been squeezed dry... I hope that MY COUNTRY has been smart enough to invest in, nurture, and innovate alternative power sources (even if there are some bumps along that road).

It may seem like silly eco-blathering now, but when my grandkids are driving an electric car, built by a US company, who was able to be a leading developer of next-gen battery tech because of Gov't investment, I'll be very happy.
At the end of the day, folks can rant and rave about gas costs and your long commute or your car that only takes premium or whatever it is. But the ONLY control YOU have over gas is to BUY LESS OF IT. Which is why I got rid of my beloved, but gas-guzzling V8 SUV 2 years ago and got a Hybrid. If you don't like gas prices—use less of it.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:

If you lived in the part of the world I do (central Kansas) you could do fine by using wind power to go south as the wind is gusting between 40 and 50 and out on our open highways would surely move a car without a sail, even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies