Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How conscious are you at the pump today?
"I notice every increase" 47 54.02%
"I notice every increase, but it no longer effects me" 16 18.39%
"I no longer notice when gas prices fluctuate" 24 27.59%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,366,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I do agree with you on this.. there are so many things that we rely on that are fossil fuel related. I'm in the plastics industry and the price of resin just keeps going up up up.. but I do think the OP's question related to what we pay at the pump.
I have a much broader view when i see gas prices rising because it does relate to everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,810 times
Gas is a worldwide commodity, traded on the global market. Global demand has risen astronomically in the last decade. It's supply is dictated by an international cartel, and inflated by commodity traders. It is not subject to the standard economic "rules" of supply and demand like most products.

The US is a net EXPORTER of gas now. There is no shortage of it in the US or on the World Market. The policies of the past 4 years aren't some new, horrible thing driving up prices.

China, a known currency manipulator, is gobbling up as much oil as possible adn more and more of their billion citizens move from horse carts to modern transportation.

You can keep thinking that this is all the fault of "poor policies of our current administration" but you'd be incredibly short sighted.

You can even vote in some 'drill baby drill" Republicans if you want, let me know how that works out for you.

In 100 years when the sands of the Middle East run out of oil, when Canada's tar sands and shale have been squeezed dry... I hope that MY COUNTRY has been smart enough to invest in, nurture, and innovate alternative power sources (even if there are some bumps along that road).

It may seem like silly eco-blathering now, but when my grandkids are driving an electric car, built by a US company, who was able to be a leading developer of next-gen battery tech because of Gov't investment, I'll be very happy.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
1. I chose a car that fit my needs 5 years ago when gas was less than 2$ a gallon. It's a small Pontiac.
You shoud have done a little more research, beacause most of the time 5 years ago gas was well over $3.00

Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,312,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not hardly. The Prez doesn't "control" the price of gas, the market does. The most he could do is release some of the reserves, which MAY temporarily bring the prices down.
Releasing any of the oil reserve couldn't possibly have anything to do with price at the pump. Every gallon sold had to be refined and shipped to the stations and unless he sells that crude at outrageously low prices, losing money on it nothing could come from that other than some propaganda use.

The high price of fuel is much more dependent on fool regulations from the EPA than anything else. You need to look into the extra costs associated with many of their regulations.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And if they do, it won't be romneys fault, its speculation.
I think that we will see some real adjustments in our economy if Romney wins and all of them will come from pure speculation but I don't think small businesses will wait for inauguration day to start expanding. I do hope I am right and certainly do believe I am.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You shoud have done a little more research, beacause most of the time 5 years ago gas was well over $3.00
I have to wonder if you know that 4 from 5 is only 1. That would be saying that gasoline went from over $3.00 per gallon to about $1.85 in Bush's last year. Use your calculator if you need to in order to figure that out. Maybe 6 years ago but sure not 5, I don't think.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM

507 posts, read 514,444 times
Heck yeah and it is pissing me off (politics aside). It was bothering me even before Obama got into office, how much I was paying at the pump and I only put regular in my car. Now granted, some years ago it took less than $20 to fill up my gas tank. Now I can barely spend that below that before I get to half a tank. I drive a Honda Civic, and a half a tank now is costing me darn near $30. But I have no choice but to drive as far as I do because I need to attend classes Mondary through Friday, regular everyday travel for running errands and getting work done, clinical assignments (I am a nursing student) at two different hospitals

I spend my weekends in the house not moving my car to save gas.

It ridiculous

Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,174,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually in may of 2007 it was under $2.00 a gallon, it DID go as high 3.97 in aug of 2008, and then dropped to $1.42 a gallon in dec of 2008.

My research is just fine, and when I bought my car, (actually a bit over 5 years ago), gas was less than $2.00 a gallon.

Thank you for playing.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,449,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscorpiored View Post
Heck yeah and it is pissing me off (politics aside). It was bothering me even before Obama got into office, how much I was paying at the pump and I only put regular in my car. Now granted, some years ago it took less than $20 to fill up my gas tank. Now I can barely spend that below that before I get to half a tank. I drive a Honda Civic, and a half a tank now is costing me darn near $30. But I have no choice but to drive as far as I do because I need to attend classes Mondary through Friday, regular everyday travel for running errands and getting work done, clinical assignments (I am a nursing student) at two different hospitals

I spend my weekends in the house not moving my car to save gas.

It ridiculous
My mother is in the same situation as you, she drives a Camaro which is a gas guzzler, and she's in clinicals. They have her driving from county to county each day so $45 usually lasts her about 4 days. I do hear her complain about the prices but there's nothing she can do about it now.

Most of you seem to care more for the gas prices being this high than I do. When I started driving gas prices were about the price they are today, so I cant really say the gas prices under this administration are any different than the last since I didn't have the experience of purchasing gas under Bush. But what I will say is, I remember last year or maybe two years ago gas prices were falling pretty quickly especially in NC. I remember seeing the price somewhere near $3 something a gallon and eventually falling south to $2 a gallon, I just wondered how far it would drop but it never reached in the $1 zone.

I honestly wouldn't drive to work if my job didn't give me such crazy hours (come in at 5 PM leave at 12, and I refuse to ride the Washington Metro/Bus at that time of night), its not even that the gas prices are, its just that I don't like to drive.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,295,814 times
I pay attention to gas prices, but I pay attention to all prices because money's tight right now. However, even at these prices, it only costs about $30 to fill our car, and that lasts up to two weeks. It's reasonably efficient (averaging 29-30 mpg) and we don't drive a lot. We also combine trips whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies