Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I've never thought of the military service question as being appropriate, or a 'big deal' for either of these two ... because neither served in the armed forces. I agree that we can pick at either for not serving. In their own ways, however, they "served" ... in different ways. Romney served his church. Obama served his community helping the disadvantaged. That's fair enough, for me. And I'm also uncomfortable attacking family members. They're, basically, innocent bystandards and expected to help-out. Hands-off, unless they do/say something over the line.
There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between Obama and Romney - it's called hypocrisy.
Romney beat the drums of war for others to fight, then dodged the danger himself.
I agree about family members. For instance Romney's adult offspring have the right to make their own decisions. However, if they champion sending others off to fight while staying home themselves, that's a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Mitt dodged the draft and, like a typical right-winger, now he wants to send other people's kids off to a war he's going to start. How do you explain that away? Chickenhawk.
Still waiting for your excuse for 0bama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between Obama and Romney - it's called hypocrisy.
Romney beat the drums of war for others to fight, then dodged the danger himself.
I agree about family members. For instance Romney's adult offspring have the right to make their own decisions. However, if they champion sending others off to fight while staying home themselves, that's a different matter.
And.............???????????? 0bama? Out community organizing?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

This is hilarious considering Romney is worth more, but he's pond scum. Right?

Explain, please.
Certainly.

Since I've NEVER criticized Romney for being wealthy, or anyone else for that matter, I don't see anything that requires an explanation.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Correction----Obama has been cutting funds to the military for almost 4 years.
Not entirely true:
Quote:
In his speech tonight, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) decried Obama for cutting defense, saying, “We can’t afford another $500 billion in cuts to our defense budget — on top of the nearly $500 billion in cuts that the president is already making…And yet, the president is playing no leadership role in preventing this crippling blow to our military.”
There’s just one problem: John McCain, and most other Republicans in the House and Senate, voted for the cuts in question.
Quote:
There is no draft anymore.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/deplo...afthistory.htm

Old 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Are you the National Security Adviser? How do you know that he'll have to send troops to Iraq?
Here we go again! Another conservative peering into Obama's future.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
This whole military service thing is mostly a relic from the Vietnam Era, and for anybody born after 1952, it is wholly irrelevant. Nowadays, people can volunteer for the military, and that is extremely admirable, but it doesn't have the charged atmosphere associated with trying to get out of the service during the Vietnam Era.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So, Exactly When Did Obama Serve In The Military? Anyone? Bueller? - Chicks on the Right

Ann Romney went on The View today. She went without Mitt, and I give her a crapload of credit for even walking foot into that studio full of liberal harpies plus one token conservative chick (who usually gets steamrolled). Of course, Joy barely spoke, and her disdain for Romney was palpable, while Whoopi tried to grill her on Mitt not ever being in the military. Which is strange, because I don't remember Whoopi (or any liberals in the lamestream media, for that matter) grilling Michelle on HER husband not ever being in the military.
Huh. Weird, isn't it? I would put the clip up here, but I couldn't find an embeddable one. So, if you're so inclined, you can watch Whoopi's line of questioning here.

Anywho, Ann politely schooled Whoopi on how Mormons actually DO serve in the military, despite Whoopi assuming from "something she read" that Mormons are against doing so, presumably in the same place where Whoopi and all of her liberal gal pals read that Romney wants to ban all forms of birth control and completely overturn Roe v. Wade and make all women go barefoot, get pregnant against their will, and bake pies all day long while their overbearing Republican husbands tell them to "hurry up, woman!"
I did not see 0bama sign up to fight during Bosnia under Clinton, or the Gulf War under Bush Sr.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I did not see 0bama sign up to fight during Bosnia under Clinton, or the Gulf War under Bush Sr.
I didn't see anyone in the Romney family ever sign up to fight anywhere.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:

And.............???????????? 0bama? Out community organizing?
And..........??????????? Still no right-wing clue, eh.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Still no clue, eh. Was Obama beating the drums of war at that time? The typically republican Bush not only started a phony needless war, but repubs all the while were beating their chests for battle while staying home and leafing through their stock portfolios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies