Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm from Beaver County. I never saw a skunk as big as a 9 year old child, even a small one. I'd say the relative was helping himself to too much Halloween cheer!
And if he did shoot an actual skunk? What a smell that would have created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I got a knife( a big one) and I can find a skunk tonight. I want to video this. Where can I pick you up!
Hopefully your knife is long as well...........very long.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Hopefully your knife is long as well...........very long.
Compensation?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He may be in trouble for shooting a firearm too close to an occupied home.
Game commission consulted in New Sewickley costume shooting - Timesonline.com: Police Fire Courts

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
I don't see why he would have shot it even it was an actual skunk. Where is a skunk supposed to be but outdoors? The skunk didn't seem to be bothering anyone. This story reeks (pun intended). A nine year old is taller and wider than a skunk and why was he carrying a loaded firearm at Halloween party anyway?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I don't see why he would have shot it even it was an actual skunk. Where is a skunk supposed to be but outdoors? The skunk didn't seem to be bothering anyone. This story reeks (pun intended). A nine year old is taller and wider than a skunk and why was he carrying a loaded firearm at Halloween party anyway?
The girl supposedly had on a black hat w/a white tassel. Maybe that's what the guy saw. I agree he shouldn't have been carrying around a loaded firearm.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm from Beaver County. I never saw a skunk as big as a 9 year old child, even a small one. I'd say the relative was helping himself to too much Halloween cheer!
that was kind of my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
you have no idea just how bad a smell skunks can create, unless you have worked at the el tovar hotel in the grand canyon. there were nights in the summer when we would have as many as three skunks get down into the basement area, and start marking their territory. it would get so bad that the people at the ends of the hotel on the third floor would complain.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Good guess he just saw a portion of her costume. Since he fired a shotgun, I'm guessing he might have lived next door etc. but perhaps had it on a gunrack.

Sigh. Never ever ever shoot something you cannot identify. That's how people out hanging their laundry get shot during deer season.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM

990 posts, read 939,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Not likely. Most people don't want to get that close to a skunk as a knife would require. Guns make it easy to take lives from a distance. Do you get it now? Guns make it easy. So easy, in the opinion of many of us, that access to that kind of power should be more regulated than it currently is in most of the U.S.

H
I'm accused of being a leftist and a big L "Liberal" here...this post and my posts on the death penalty (amongst others) will show how that is untrue.

Banning guns doesn't really work though. Make the guns illegal and the only ones who will have them are criminals who are willing to break the laws. Instead, the only thing that really works is increased penalties, both civil and criminal, for those who do misuse a gun.

This guy deserves to get into serious trouble not only for shooting a girl, but for the fact that he was going to shoot a skunk! Who shoots a skunk? If he misses, the little bugger is going to stink up the whole neighborhood. If he hits, there's a dead skunk carcass lying around. Either way, it's a lose-lose situation. On the other hand, if he simply waited to ensure that his life or home was in danger, he probably would not have fired. Hence, he's simply an irresponsible gun owner.

I propose that we make a law specifically for "Irresponsible gun ownership" to prosecute people who do not properly use or store their firearms.

That being said, if we're allowed to have guns, we should be allowed to have legal drugs too. Not at the same time obviously...but if we can legally own and carry something which can kill a dozen or more people on a single clip (depending on the gun of course), we should be able to shoot up heroin, smoke crack or snort a little cocaine...and we should certainly be allowed to indulge in a little marijuana which is less harmful than alcohol in every possible way.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:58 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Thankful it didn't kill her. Poor thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies