Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, our judicial systems seems to believe my "lies." And you really think it's not true that the Constitution requires equal treatment under the law?

And again - not that you can - please enumerate the special rights I and gay marriage advocates are seeking (and apparently have gained in places like Iowa and Vermont). 5 to 10 would suffice.
How many times do i have to answer this question?

Let me say it slowwwly - so even you can get it:

Any - body can marry a person who is - of the - opposite gender - and not related to them. You and I - both can do so.

You already - have - equal rights concerning - marriage.

What you want is a special right to marry someone of the same gender - you want the law changed to only benefit you. Ergo - you want special rights.

Well OK - lets do that - but where does it end? Marriage now would become meaningless. And I still can't marry my cat.

Get it?

Marriage is the union of a man and a woman. It is the foundation of family - which is the basic building block of society. You cannot erode the foundation without bringing the entire structure down.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is why I am against online universities.
What do online universities have to do with this conversation?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How many times do i have to answer this question?

Let me say it slowwwly - so even you can get it:

Any - body can marry a person who is - of the - opposite gender - and not related to them. You and I - both can do so.

You already - have - equal rights concerning - marriage.

What you want is a special right to marry someone of the same gender - you want the law changed to only benefit you. Ergo - you want special rights.

Well OK - lets do that - but where does it end? Marriage now would become meaningless. And I still can't marry my cat.

Get it?

Let's make it even slower for you:

Your arguments DON'T WORK. They were the same arguments used by SEGREGATIONISTS and MISCEGENATION OPPONENTS 60 years ago.

Those arguments failed. They fail so much, that even those who argue against gay marriage in the courts DO NOT USE THAT ARGUMENT.

Why? They know it isn't legally sound!

If legal minds far brighter than you have abandoned the failed logic of that argument, why do you insist on parading it around as if you're being profound or original? It is neither.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
What do online universities have to do with this conversation?

Everything. Poor and/or mis-education is typically the root cause of a social conservative's worldview.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
Allow me to pose this question to anyone who would like to answer, what actual purpose does "gay marriage" serve?
Interesting question. Legally irrelevant though. The legally relevant question is what harm does allowing gay marriage cause. Like we discussed earlier, the 14th Amendment requires that the law not discriminate - that all people be treated equally under it. But like any right - even a Constitutional one - it's not unlimited. Laws are allowed to discriminate if they prevent a harm to the people (for instance we can discriminate against the blind or very old in driving laws).

I'll ask you: what harm does allowing gay marriage cause? How have the people of Iowa, or Vermont, or Massachusetts, etc been harmed because gay people have been able to exercise the rights conferred by civil marriage law? If you can't answer that, then you can't constitutionally ban gay people from civil marriage. (the ban-gay-marriage side in California tried to answer this question and failed miserably - that's why Prop 8 was overturned).

Quote:
Marriage has always been defined as being between a man and a woman, ordered towards procreation. There are certain irrefutable distinctions that males and females possess that allows them to be joined as bonding partners. A same-sex couple lacks these distinctions thus these bonds can never be formed nor can procreation be achieved. Many toss the word "love" around based on their own definition, also benefits and entitlements are also commonly referred to as a cause for "gay marriage."

Much like the member hammertime shared his views on the legal construct of marriage, I'd like to get this dialogue started. Thank you for your contributions.
As to your original question, gay marriage has many purposes. For the gay couple and their families, it's a wonderful and affirming celebration of love and commitment. Encouraging gay marriages encourages the formation of healthy, committed partnerships - that's a good thing when it comes to health, happiness, lifespan, substance abuse risk reduction, productivity in the workpalce, etc - you get all the good positive things in gay marriage that you get out of straight marriage.

Gay marriage also provides a stable environment to raise children (and hundreds of thousands of gay couples in the US are raising children). Not only that, legal gay marriage provides the legal protections for children being raised by gay couples. Look at Massachusetts. Since gay marriage has been legal, adoptions of children out of foster care has gone up - these are generally older, sometimes "sicker"kids that generally harder to adopt out and often never are. Married gay couples are taking them in. That's a great thing.

And it's not surprising - you actually see "gay" couples taking in orphaned and abandoned children elsewhere in the animal kingdom, bird in particular (and often it's a very good thing for the species - two men are often much better at feeding and protecting youngins)

Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Next, the state of California does not "teach" homosexuality anymore than it "teaches" heterosexuality.

If your problem is with the fact that a concerted effort is made to include gay history into the general curriculum, you are Exhibit A why such education is needed. Gay people - like other minorities often excluded from curriculum - are and have been a part of this world since the beginning of time.

The computer you type on has its origins and early development through the work of a gay man, Alan Turing. The Bible you most likely read was adapted by a bisexual king of England. Western Civilization was spread by Alexander the Great, a bisexual emperor, and the soldiers of the American Revolution were trained by a gay Baron from Europe, whose standards and practices STILL form the basis of the modern American military.
!
What relevancy does the type of sex that Alan Turing engaged in and whom he engaged in it with - to the fact that he was an early computer pioneer?

Answer - ZERO.

The only purpose of teaching that tidbit is to force the homosexual agenda on impressionable children.

Alan Turing and Alexander the Great can be taught about without mentioning their lifestyle choice.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Some states have lower ages in order to marry.
Agreed.

Quote:
However you could never marry your child anyway - for the same reason why homosexuals should not marry - it is wrong - and it is not marriage.
You can't marry your child (not that I would see why you or anyone else would) because they are unable to give legal consent. As I mentioned before - from new born to 17, a legal document concerning marriage can not be signed by someone because in the eyes of the law they are not of age or legally considered an adult. Therefore consent can't be given and sound mind and judgment is missing.

Quote:
Unless I am missing something - are you advocating for a father to be able to marry his daughter?
*sigh* I'm not advocating anything. I never specifically said anything about a father/parent/brother/family member to be able to marry their sister/child/aunt/uncle/etc/etc. I was merely stating that again a child or a cat in your case can not give legal consent and can not sign a contract.

All I am doing is providing logic and facts against your closed-mindedness and your bigoted behavior. I guarantee you if the tables were turned you'd be singing an entirely different story right now.

Why must a select group of Americans be forced to pay up large sums of money just because of their life style and who they choose to be with?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
What relevancy does the type of sex that Alan Turing engaged in and whom he engaged in it with - to the fact that he was an early computer pioneer?

Answer - ZERO.

The only purpose of teaching that tidbit is to force the homosexual agenda on impressionable children.
Quite a bit actually. Imagine what else he could have accomplished for the human race had he not been fired, driven out of this profession, prosecuted, and driven to kill himself simply for being gay. What a senseless waste of human intelligence.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Everything. Poor and/or mis-education is typically the root cause of a social conservative's worldview.
The problem with your analysis is that I graduated from a very well respected public college in California - so your ASSUMPTION is meaningless.

You appear to be uneducated since you equate being a conservative with being poorly educated.

You need to learn how to argue without using ad hominem attacks.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
And I still can't marry my cat.
Your cat can't give consent and sign a legal contract.

Get it?

Next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies