Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, someone who spouts about all "the human beings" that were killed should look outside their own neighborhood and care about the other "human beings" who were killed. Or do we only care about those in NJ and NY? The rest of the world, who cares? Typical American attitude.

No, I'm not. It is NOT catastrophic. Is it messy? Is it nasty? Is it expensive? Yep. But it is not "catastrophic".

And again, for the fiftieth time, I am mocking the media. For them to go stand in a puddle, as one did on the TWC this morning, when everything around him was merely wet, not standing water, is the height of HYPE. I have no use for talking heads who care only about their ratings.

How dare you not understand that.
I guess you get teary eyed when the news discusses Iraqi and other war related deaths?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We get these kinds of storms two, sometimes three, times per year in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. Winds in excess of 90 mph, heavy rainfall, falling trees, etc. Only here they call them typhoons instead of hurricanes. The chief difference between Alaska and the east coast is that they do not call for evacuations in Alaska. My home is built to withstand such winds and rain, as are the overwhelming vast majority of homes in Alaska. They do not even call for work to be halted. There have been many times where I have driven 50 mph into Anchorage with 90+ mph winds.

Do the northeastern States have such poor building codes that they cannot find shelter in their own home?
First off the population is much larger. Not to mention the vast majority of the damage was not winds damaging homes. It was due to winds knocking over trees that landed on homes, wires, etc, and the storm surge, which was at record levels.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies